Your favourite Old School things?

Two stroke outboard engine smell just before leaving the dock for fishing or crabbing.  

• Like 2

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mostly analog modular synthesizer. I've built it myself.

Maybe this isn’t necessarily old school exactly, but a cotton dress shirt and wool trousers. Dressing for work in general. I cannot stand the new “dri fit” “microfiber” whatever they want to call po

Don't see these very often!! Much better than the modern variety....in my opinion.

My Ruger Redhawk stainless steel revolver in .44 Mag.  Now, I've got lots of other choices, even a few of the new polymer based pistols in whiz bang "new" calibers.  But, I'll tell you, the heft of that slug of stainless steel and the seriously comforting 'THUMP' when that gun goes off is something that makes me smile, every time. Had it for almost 40 years, it's a very early one out of the factory.  Freehand, I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards with the thing, all day long.  It's a dandy.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Chuck in 50's Rock 'n Roll and you got me sold on the music. :thumbsup:

Ugh..no. I can't do that 50's era Rock n Roll. Some of those songs are so cringy to my ears.  Early Elvis I can dig, but not much else.  For me, Doors, Beatles, Jimi, LZ, Pink Floyd, UFO, Rush, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica and many more in between the decades.  :ok:

• Like 3

For me, welted leather shoes. We’re business casual at work, so these AE Overlords are my go to (they just stopped making them, but I picked up some spare pairs on clearance):

42C28743-DB7C-4E86-8B97-3668838DBDAA.jpeg.eb3fc32a53c23b55880849874437a472.jpeg

Leather sole with a lugged heel and the whole thing made from soft kudu (antelope) leather. These are real shoes and can be rebuilt several times, so easily a decade of regular wear.... try getting a decade out of that injection molded crap most manufacturers put out!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bundwallah said:

My music  60's/70's/80's and some 90's before grunge ruined Rock.

I knew I was old when I went into a record store to replace my Deep Purple compilation CD.  I tried finding it in the metal and hard rock sections, without success.  So I asked one of the young things working there (weird colour hair, too much hardware sticking out of odd body parts, you get the picture) ... and she directed me to "Classic Rock".  Back in my day, DP were the ragged bleeding edge of music.... but no more, it seems.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@gweilgi

Was in grade 12 ... it was Easter break and I had the 6$ for a ticket to “deep purple” at the pne grounds in vancouver .

to be honest I thought some of the best music was by the “warmup” band ... fleetwood mac was still a blues band at the time and did a bluesy version of “black magic woman” that I really loved .

Derrek

38290EE7-3B55-4807-BBF3-D9B5AD767DE1.png

• Like 2

Books -- I know they are so old school compared to kindles, but I love the sound and feel of them.

And the smell. You can tell the quality of the paper and binding from its smell.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Cassettes! I just bought this old TEAC A450, it's as old as I am and it sounds great. Classy VU meters too. The previous owners took very good care of it. The cassette pictured is a brand new jazz number.

Oh and I just received some nos valves from Russia for my preamp and DAC. I'll be rolling them in on the weekend :)

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Man you guys are awesome!  So much good classic stuff in this thread!  (Well, maybe with the exception of Fuzz and his VHS tapes :rolleyes: )

As much as I enjoy my practical modern car, I would love to go back to a 1959 Mercedes Benz 190SL that I once owned, with the dedicated lever for the reserve tank and the AM/FM/SW radio.

I'm stuck in MP3 Hell these days, and y'all with the tapes, cassettes and tubes are making me pine for real sound! B)  At least my amp is still a Twin Reverb, but I would love to get the home stereo back to real sound some day.

G: Nixie tubes are on my to-do list; I'm teaching my boys (10 & 11) how to solder and we're working our way through several old school kits (clocks, radios, etc.)

Besides the car, I'd really love to find me a Lockheed Model 12 Junior https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Model_12_Electra_Junior although I'll probably cave and go with something pressurized for the next ride.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dvickery said:

@gweilgi

Was in grade 12 ... it was Easter break and I had the 6$ for a ticket to “deep purple” at the pne grounds in vancouver .

to be honest I thought some of the best music was by the “warmup” band ... fleetwood mac was still a blues band at the time and did a bluesy version of “black magic woman” that I really loved .

Derrek

Was at that show as well Derrek, great music those days.

Although I though it was Uriah Heap on the bill not FM?

3 hours ago, dvickery said:

@gweilgi

Derrek

Sounds like a fantastic concert!  All three acts are a constant on my iPod -- I never travel without them.

Early Fleetwood Mac were great  -- Peter Green is a Blues god.  If he hadn't had his meltdown, he could have been bigger than Clapton.  

Old appliances.

Over the years, the lady of the house has seen the ‘need’ to ‘upgrade’ the kitchen numerous times. The old refrigerators have ended up moved to garage, rec room, shop,,etc. 

Numerous times the new stuff with digital read outs and fancy features have required a visit by a serviceman.In the meantime, the old refrigerators run 24/7 without pause or problem. One old fridge is from the 70s, another one ( in the shop) is from the 50s. I only replaced a door gasket myself one time on the 70s fridge, have done zero on the 50s one.

Last time the service guy came out to work on the new ‘hi tech’ fridge, I showed him our old fridges. He had a little gray in his hair and had done appliance repair for some time. His comment - ‘They sure don’t make ‘me like that anymore. “ and then he went over how the various components in appliances have been cheapened over the years. People have been programmed to buy ‘latest & greatest’ rather than quality where it counts. Not in fancy chrome, but in durable motors, compressors, etc

21 hours ago, BBS said:

My Ruger Redhawk stainless steel revolver in .44 Mag.  Now, I've got lots of other choices, even a few of the new polymer based pistols in whiz bang "new" calibers.  But, I'll tell you, the heft of that slug of stainless steel and the seriously comforting 'THUMP' when that gun goes off is something that makes me smile, every time. Had it for almost 40 years, it's a very early one out of the factory.  Freehand, I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards with the thing, all day long.  It's a dandy.

I had one of those.  Traded it for a 30.06 for elk hunting.  Bad mistake.  Still have a GP100 which I love though.  Ugly things, but they're accurate and I love the weight of them. 

Old school (and compared to nowadays - harmless) Vincent Price and horror movies from the '40's & '50's with our beloved yesteryears' horror stars

18194970_1700582639957328_7191462234661785449_n.jpg

22687595_10210541766522604_6764094539416232779_n.jpg

cdcd123d43323be498f28af70d1b44e8[1].jpg

• Like 1