Your favourite Old School things?

Mid century furniture and vintage Dupont lighters for sure.  But my favorite old thing is my 1940s IWC watch.  It has a hand wound Valjoux movement.  I have a couple of modern automatic watches, but something about winding the watch every morning is a great bit of nostalgia.  Almost 80 years old and still running like a champ.  Hope I can say the same for myself when I'm that age.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mostly analog modular synthesizer. I've built it myself.

Maybe this isn’t necessarily old school exactly, but a cotton dress shirt and wool trousers. Dressing for work in general. I cannot stand the new “dri fit” “microfiber” whatever they want to call po

Don't see these very often!! Much better than the modern variety....in my opinion.

Technics 1200 turntable with Shure needle. Newer offerings in stores now look and feel flimsy. The sound produced from the old setup is far superior to new record players.

A proper full service barber. 

Classic cocktails.

Coin operated video games. Still play them when I see them.

Vintage menswear.

The Twilight Zone the original series.

A nice shoe shine from a professional.

Traveling by train when time permits. 

• Thanks 1

Analog audio gear, both for listening (as others have mentioned) and for playing/recording. Tubes and germanium transistors, spring reverbs, ect. Obviously weird old guitars and basses too.

Cars of course.

Furniture. Holds up better and just has an air of class and quality. I tend to like organic materials as well, good leather, carved wood and the like.

Architecture. Not much to speak of in the U.S., but it is definitely one of my favorite parts of international travel.

I'm into old weaponry as well, of all sorts, polearms to firearms.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:26 AM, mikeyjayjay said:

I know! I went to China and at the touristy spots you will find KFC etc. in main areas. You have to go deep into the lanes to find local food shops.

One the most disappointing things I saw on vacation was a McDonalds in Venice, and there was people eating in it.  

We then found a restaurant that had a sign on the door that read, "No Pasta, No Pizza, No Tourist Food!"  And that is where we had one the best seafood meals of our lives.  

• Like 1

Old vintage Brit side by side shotguns. Vintage American pump shotguns, especially in 16 gauge. Both of these just naturally point & are a joy to use in the hunting field. - 

Old fashioned drugstore soda fountains where the person behind the counter will make you a chocolate cherry ice cream soda, an egg cream, or any number of wonderful delicious items that your parents might not recognize, but your grandparents most definitely will.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

going to the bank of the river, fishing rod and a can of worms, and just fishing for whatever bites.

I just booked a week on the White River near Flippin Arkansas with my wife, son, daughter in law and granddaughter. 

It is my full intention to spend my days with a line in the water but not caring if I actually catch a fish. Ala Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn.

that's what I'm talking about...

for many years of my life, I fished quite competitively.

fishing during this time meant 10+ rods, equipping the boat for whatever type of fishing I was doing (river vs big lake vs small lake)...

and the pressure of catching was always high, whether due to paying customers, bragging rights, or competition.

almost burned me right out...

just the idea of fishing "for whatever bites" is what brought me back again. I'm looking forward to fishing much more in 2019....with no pressures :)

• Like 3

On 8/2/2018 at 10:07 PM, Spanishcedar said:

Not just the SUV, but having the trails to drive it on. Seems like everywhere we used to go has no trespassing or a bunch of inconsiderate rednecks (as opposed to us considerate ones) have ruined enjoying a trail ride for the rest of us.

EE9E48AB-DA4C-482D-B3CC-C1EB9057BF78.jpeg

Going muddin at 2am is a ton of fun.

Picked this toy up (govplanet) about 6 months before my son was born- unfortunately have not been able to play with it much since then.  Only had 5K on the odometer.

20161215 HMMWV (5).JPG

• Like 1