How much stock do YOU put in buying aged cigars?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the following stock were put up on 24:24 tomorrow... '14 Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux '14 Diplomaticos Bushido Asia Pacifico Regional Edition '11 Cohiba 1966 Limited Ed

.......people are spending $90 on Talisman. Euro dealers can't get enough.  Even at retail, a 5 year old D4 is the cheaper than a Padron 1926 of the same size.  To some, the utility of purch

I’m certainly not paying 2x or even more for a measly 5 years of age.

Used to mostly buy boxes with 3-5 years of age for smoking. Fresh cigars were bought for aging purposes. Most were tried young, but most weren’t palatable with less than 3 years. Eventually built up some stock after many years of buying more than I smoke. With the internet, auctions, etc.... vintage prices are highly inflated. I don’t even bother looking for aged stock anymore. In addition, blend changes are a factor. The premiums just aren’t worth it for my tastes, smoking habit, and budget.

I put no premium on aged stock.  Could care less as long as it's a good box.  I like 'em fresh, I like 'em aged...  It's all about that particular cigar.  

I wonder when I see 10-20 year old boxes at vendor, "have they been sitting for a reason"? 

• Like 1

You can still find some pretty well aged stock in Cuba if you look hard enough. I'm still fairly new to the game, so I know most do well in the 3-5 year period, but beyond that I don't know much. I think on my next trip, I want to stock up on tubos for sure. That's one thing I didn't get before I ran out of money there

You've bought multiple boxes of Monte Open? 

My wife, bless her, likes the Junior - pretty much the only thing she smokes. I’ve been through 5 boxes with a couple stashed away for the future. A box lasts her about a year. Not that I’m worried I won’t be able to get any more in the future :rotfl:
  • Haha 1

I put no premium on aged stock.  Could care less as long as it's a good box.  I like 'em fresh, I like 'em aged...  It's all about that particular cigar.  
I wonder when I see 10-20 year old boxes at vendor, "have they been sitting for a reason"? 

That’s certainly the case for all the 99 - 01 stock. Facebook sales to unsuspecting noobs are starting to take care of it, though. I can only shake my head at the prices being asked and paid for this picked over crap.

I lay my own cigars down and sample them when experience says I should. I got one box of PCC aged MC Edmundo here. Not way expensive so the premium wasn't too hard to swallow. I would, given my experience with that box, say do not hesitate to by a box from Rob's 24/24 when they are aged if you are looking to find out if you want to get into the hobby. It has been aging my own cigars that has given me the best cigars and the most satisfaction. Every once in a while I give a cigar to someone who smokes cigars but has little experience with good Cuban cigars. Their  arm drops and I get the  look that says, "Damn , this is a great cigar."

I put very little into aged stock unless it's hard to find/discontinued. Only a few boxes there at that too.  I think one of the only 'aged' boxes I actually bought was some 898s and that was because I found the box code funny, pms dic 13. Luckily they smoke great.

LGC MdO #2

Hoyo des Dieux

I will pay a premium for these.

Since they have been AWOL since '14,I see no choice .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, garbandz said:

LGC MdO #2

Hoyo des Dieux

I will pay a premium for these.

Since they have been AWOL since '14,I see no choice .

I will pay a premium for LGC MdO 1&2, but I don't care how old they are.  When the was last production year?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 1:59 AM, JohnS said:

If the following stock were put up on 24:24 tomorrow...

• '14 Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux
  • '14 Diplomaticos Bushido Asia Pacifico Regional Edition
  • '11 Cohiba 1966 Limited Edition
  • '09 Trinidad Robusto T and/or Robusto Extra

then, quite a few of us will be seeking to get aged stock. ? ?

Is there a reason in particular why you mention 2009 Trinis? was it a better year for these vitolas? 

I definitely pay premium for aged Trinidads.

I’m just getting into Cubans and I have a friend who has a huge collection of aged boxes he’s trying to thin out, so I buy 50% of my stuff through him to smoke now, and 50% through our host to sit down. Problem is, 3 of the boxes I’ve bought from our host have been dynamite already! 

I’ve had some great “aged” boxes from Rob. QdO & JL1 both from 2011 so not super aged. Just well rested.  I know and love those two cigars and the premium there is not the same as with other highly desired marcas like Cohiba, Partagas, etc. 

Outside of cigars where I know both storage conditions and that I will enjoy them, I’d prefer to age myself. My storage conditions are @PigFish certified, so I’m far more inclined to do my own aging and my wallet concurs. 

6 hours ago, Pierre said:

Is there a reason in particular why you mention 2009 Trinis? was it a better year for these vitolas? 

I definitely pay premium for aged Trinidads.

No particular reason, in this case. These two vitolas were only around from 2009 to 2011. Plus, they were well-favoured, so their deletion was more keenly lamented.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I will pay a premium for LGC MdO 1&2, but I don't care how old they are.  When the was last production year?

MdO1 was cut in 2010 and MdO2 hasn't been seen since 14. Several cigars still listed as in production have been MIA since 14--Hoyo DD and SLR DC among them.

As far as the price premiums on cigars like the Hoyo DD and MdO2 I think it's more a matter of their scarcity than their age. When HUSW stock gets low every few years the price shoots up 25-50% on them too, and people pay it. Also happens with CoLa and CCE. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

MdO1 was cut in 2010 and MdO2 hasn't been seen since 14. Several cigars still listed as in production have been MIA since 14--Hoyo DD and SLR DC among them.

As far as the price premiums on cigars like the Hoyo DD and MdO2 I think it's more a matter of their scarcity than their age. When HUSW stock gets low every few years the price shoots up 25-50% on them too, and people pay it. Also happens with CoLa and CCE. 

What are Hoyo DD? Or do you mean Hoyo DC? 

On 7/20/2018 at 6:27 PM, JohnS said:

No particular reason, in this case. These two vitolas were only around from 2009 to 2011. Plus, they were well-favoured, so their deletion was more keenly lamented.

Definitely lamented... Wonderful cigars! I'm not sure about the T but the robusto extra I have a 2007 box and it was discontinued in 2012 I think. It sometimes is very hard to understand Habanos SA's decisions...

• Like 1

All the value I placed in aged stock comes from 2 things. 1. Me knowing that I actually enjoy that cigar aged and 2. Knowing how the cigars have been taken care of. Have they sat in a climate controlled environment at proper RH for 10 years or have they passed through 8 hands and who knows what condition they were kept in.

1 hour ago, Derboesekoenig said:

They must've had a lull in production then, because I saw zero boxes in Cuba.

in a nutshell...…...

• Haha 1