Best live music you've been to or show you have coming up?

Caught some live music last night at The Junk Bar here in Bris. Nothing great, but a good night. Got me thinking of the best stuff I've seen live and what I have coming up. 

For the best concert I've been to, I'd have to go with PJ Harvey's recent tour, which I saw at the Tivoli here. Great venue, which makes all the difference sometimes, and simply a stunning set--enthralling performance from PJ, and virtuoso musicianship from her band. I've seen some big shows (as a youngster, was at Eastern Creek when Guns 'n' Roses played and the 80,000 strong crowd started fires everywhere) and bands I'm into more than PJ Harvey (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at Riverstage, Roger Waters The Wall at MGM Grand) but that brilliant, intimate performance of PJ's left me gobsmacked. Can't go past it.

I have John Schumann (of Redgum fame, only old arse Aussies will know them, most likely) at the Hammo here this Friday night, and then Courtney Barnett in August, again at the Tivoli. Looking forward to both!

Anyhow, I'm keen to know, what are the best concerts you've been to, and/or what cool stuff have you got tickets to?

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Led Zeppelin - 1975 - me and two buddies spent two winter days and nights camped out rotating shifts in line for tickets and in the car to warm up. Well worth it I might add. Better live show than Pin

Best concert:  Prince "Purple Rain Tour" Detroit 1984.  Wasn't really a fan, but took my girlfriend (now wife of 30 yrs).  Sold out show, but knew they released unused band tickets an hour before the

I go to a lot of concerts.  About half are concerts that I want to see, and the other half are concerts that my kids want to see.  I actually even enjoy the ones my kids want to see.  It’s hard for me

Saw U2 in Boston several years ago, was amazing, probably my top all time.  This year saw them again, and also Guns and Roses  (wishing I had seen long before, btu hey, it was with Axel).  My favorite this year was taking my daughter to see Amadeus performed while the movie played at Boston Symphony Hall.  Amazing to hear it played along with the movie.

11 minutes ago, MountainMilG said:

Saw U2 in Boston several years ago, was amazing, probably my top all time.  This year saw them again, and also Guns and Roses  (wishing I had seen long before, btu hey, it was with Axel).  My favorite this year was taking my daughter to see Amadeus performed while the movie played at Boston Symphony Hall.  Amazing to hear it played along with the movie.

Never seen U2 live, but would have loved to in their heyday... Rattle & Hum tour in particular. Always loved Live at Red Rocks, too. 

14 minutes ago, MountainMilG said:

Also, what venue in Boston?

15 minutes ago, MountainMilG said:

And that movie is a favourite of mine, too. Great performance by Tom Hulce--that laugh! Classic. Amazing concept to have the live music synced with the movie. That must have been brilliant. 

10 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Also, what venue in Boston?

Was at Gillette Stadium in 2009 - 360 tour leg 2.  Decided to go last minute, got GA tickets for on the field and wound up at 15ish yards from the band, was AMAZING. Wish I had seen at the Boston Garden on the Elevation Tour, the DVD was fantastic.  This time was current tour at a smaller indoor venue (11-12,000) and was also great.

Amadeus was incredible.  The venue, the movie and music, all in all an amazing time.  The laugh definitely is a great part - whether or not it's accurate it's definitely memorable :) Also saw Star Wars performed in a similar way in Atlanta, but unfortunately they played the "newer" version.  Han shot first!

AC/DC used to finish European tours in Glasgow, and I remember one magnificent  night where they played for the best part of four hours.

I saw Dire Straits live on their last UK tour, and it was like listening to a studio album, so good was their sound engineering.

Though not a country and western fan, a mate dragged me along to see Willie Nelson when we were working in Brussels, and I was amazed by Just how good he was.

I was also very fortunate to have been at Covent Garden when Sir John Tomlinson stepped in for the indisposed Bryn Terfel as Wotan in Wagner’s Ring Cycle.

Best of all, in Chicago many years ago, I heard the great pianist Daniel Barenboim play Liszt’s ferociously difficult B minor Sonata. Astonishing.

Shane MacGowan and the Pogues in London in the late 80's ('88 or '89).  My memories are a bit hazy because I was trying to out-drink Shane, but it was one hell of a gig.

Also a concert by Les Negresses Vertes in Paris in 1990 when I was studying in France -- those guys were utterly manic.

Best concerts I ever missed: everything by Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.  Major regrets there....

Here on Maui we have a high quality but relatively small venue in the MACC, or Maui Arts and Cultural Center. And we often get bands who have a stopover in Hawaii at the end of an overseas tour.

Seen some pretty big names at the MACC’s outdoor amphitheater - Steely Dan, Santana, and The Eagles, to name a few. But my favorite shows are in their state-of-the-art indoor auditorium called the Castle Theatre. Recently caught a great Jackson Browne show, a bucket list item for me. He had just done a few shows in Australia before he and his band chose to spend a week on Maui for some R&R. Some excellent energy was in the air that night, and he brought John Cruz - a great local artist - onstage for a few songs.

But the most memorable performance there was seeing Peter Frampton - what an incredibly gifted guitarist he is! His performance blew everyone’s mind that night.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

AC/DC used to finish European tours in Glasgow, and I remember one magnificent  night where they played for the best part of four hours.

I saw Dire Straits live on their last UK tour, and it was like listening to a studio album, so good was their sound engineering.

Though not a country and western fan, a mate dragged me along to see Willie Nelson when we were working in Brussels, and I was amazed by Just how good he was.

I was also very fortunate to have been at Covent Garden when Sir John Tomlinson stepped in for the indisposed Bryn Terfel as Wotan in Wagner’s Ring Cycle.

Best of all, in Chicago many years ago, I heard the great pianist Daniel Barenboim play Liszt’s ferociously difficult B minor Sonata. Astonishing.

Man, some classic stuff there... Would have loved to see Dire Straits in particular. Not a real country fan either, but I can envisage how Willie would have been amazing. Imagine Johnny Cash would have been similarly impressive live. 

13 minutes ago, gweilgi said:

Best concerts I ever missed: everything by Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.  Major regrets there...

I feel ya... I'm a massive Pink Floyd fan and never got to see the Waters/Gilmour line-up intact or even the post-Waters Floyd. Major bummer. 

• Like 1

Original U2 Joshua Tree tour 25 years ago was the best concert I’ve seen. Been to many big concerts since then including U2 a few more time but nothing like that first U2 concert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LLC said:

Original U2 Joshua Tree tour 25 years ago was the best concert I’ve seen. Been to many big concerts since then including U2 a few more time but nothing like that first U2 concert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely jealous of this one.

3 minutes ago, Stump89 said:

Saw Guns n Roses last summer in PA.  Sure, they are getting old, but they put on a hell of a show!

Oh for sure, a great show.  Walking up to the arena (she is never, ever on time for things) hearing Welcome to the Jungle echo through the air was wonderful!

Just remembered I saw Midnight Oil live - an Australian connection for me.

Best concert:  Prince "Purple Rain Tour" Detroit 1984.  Wasn't really a fan, but took my girlfriend (now wife of 30 yrs).  Sold out show, but knew they released unused band tickets an hour before the show.  Scored stage side seats.  It was like a Victoria Secret's lingerie show with all the female fans dressed to thrill in leather and lace.  But Prince's performance blew me away and I instantly became a fan.  What a talent.

Best bar show- my former cigar bar Sequoia Lounge in Flint, Michigan two winters ago.  A young band was playing that mesmerized me.  They were playing some killer Led Zeppelin with the best jam sessions I'd ever heard from a band so young.  Chatted with them on their break and offered to buy them some beers.  Nope.....they weren't 21 yet :o  The band was Greta Van Fleet from a few miles up the road in Frankenmuth.  I just told them to keep up the enthusiasm they had and they'd go places.....it was that obvious.  They are now headlining smaller venues and playing music fests.  If you like Zeppelin, check them out.

Brett 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 40 Palms said:

But Prince's performance blew me away and I instantly became a fan.  What a talent.

Yeah, the term genius gets thrown around a lot, but he was bona fide. Didn't get to see him live, but a huge fan. 

12 minutes ago, 40 Palms said:

The band was Greta Van Fleet from a few miles up the road in Frankenmuth.  I just told them to keep up the enthusiasm they had and they'd go places.....it was that obvious.  They are now headlining smaller venues and playing music fests.  If you like Zeppelin, check them out.

Really been getting into them lately.  Thought Zeppelin made a comeback at first lol.  Would love to see them play live.

• Like 1

I am a big Pink Floyd fan so seeing them on their final tour (Division Bell) in 1994 was my best concert up until that point. Than I saw Roger Waters do The Wall about 5 years ago which was equally as awesome so I would have to call it a tie. 

My favorite “current” artist is Jack White. My boss just gave me tickets to see him (on my birthday) in 2 weeks in Denver so to quote Karl Spangler (from Caddyshack), “I got that goin’ for me, which is nice”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BJRPorter said:

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers Hollywood Bowl Sept 2017.

So disappointed I missed Rush at The Forum the year before.

Meet too x2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupe said:

I am a big Pink Floyd fan so seeing them on their final tour (Division Bell) in 1994 was my best concert up until that point. Than I saw Roger Waters do The Wall about 5 years ago which was equally as awesome so I would have to call it a tie. 

Fellow Floyd fan here. Never saw them live, but saw Roger's The Wall tour in Vegas and in Sydney. Also caught the In The Flesh tour in Melbourne this year. The Wall in Vegas was incredible. Easily the best of the three.   

• Like 1

Upcoming will be Dwezzil Z in Dec, at the Commodore Ball room great venue.

Seen him a number of times and Frank as well a few times in the 70's.

Tough to say best concert but possibly Desmond and Brubeck at the QE a long time ago.

Saw the Eagles recently and that was a really great show.