Best live music you've been to or show you have coming up?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Led Zeppelin - 1975 - me and two buddies spent two winter days and nights camped out rotating shifts in line for tickets and in the car to warm up. Well worth it I might add. Better live show than Pin

Best concert:  Prince "Purple Rain Tour" Detroit 1984.  Wasn't really a fan, but took my girlfriend (now wife of 30 yrs).  Sold out show, but knew they released unused band tickets an hour before the

I go to a lot of concerts.  About half are concerts that I want to see, and the other half are concerts that my kids want to see.  I actually even enjoy the ones my kids want to see.  It’s hard for me

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

I am a big Pink Floyd fan so seeing them on their final tour (Division Bell) in 1994 was my best concert up until that point. Than I saw Roger Waters do The Wall about 5 years ago which was equally as awesome so I would have to call it a tie. 

My favorite “current” artist is Jack White. My boss just gave me tickets to see him (on my birthday) in 2 weeks in Denver so to quote Karl Spangler (from Caddyshack), “I got that goin’ for me, which is nice”. 

1 hour ago, MoeFOH said:

Fellow Floyd fan here. Never saw them live, but saw Roger's The Wall tour in Vegas and in Sydney. Also caught the In The Flesh tour in Melbourne this year. The Wall in Vegas was incredible. Easily the best of the three.   

It sucks being a Pink Floyd fan who was born in 90... will never have that live experience my elders had.

• Like 1

bruce takes up most of the top ten. the very best was the final brizzy concert about four years ago. four hours. (technically i think 3.59 but not being picky). melbourne the year or so before that probably 2nd. did not think it could be outdone. in brizzy, all the classics (well as many as he could fit in and the entire wild, innocent and e street album, start to finish. 

dylan back in the very late 70s was extraordinary. the budukan tour. again with tom petty and crew in london.

clapton at the royal albert hall (back in the days when i had my own box - long story). he had phil collins on drums and mark knopfler on guitar. 

neil young a couple of times. jackson browne. the most fun was probably fats domino. he came on and had two other pianos and about fourteen on trumpet. sat down, said he'd play blueberry hill last but otherwise, just yell out what you want. so we did and he played. 

but bruce. 

34 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

but bruce. 

Dare one presume that you are referring to Jack Bruce, immortal bassist and vocalist for Cream?  Another band whose live performances I missed due to extreme youth...

Just now, gweilgi said:

Dare one presume that you are referring to Jack Bruce, immortal bassist and vocalist for Cream?  Another band whose live performances I missed due to extreme youth...

one may dare but one would not be reading the post given that concert was about four years ago. 

and i was also a bit too young for cream. clapton had long, long left them by the time i saw him. a mate does rave though. 

Fan of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd but never got to see either of them live. However got a free ticket to Roger Water’s the Wall in Los Angeles back in the late 90’s. Also got hooked up with third row center tickets to Sheryl Crow for free, only thing was I had to drive from LA to Vegas and back.  Great show and Dwight Yokum made an appearance.

Also caught some great shows at the house of blues in Hollywood before it was torn down.  One of them was the G Love and the special sauce show.  We went out for a smoke during the opening band and the smoking area was right by the Sunset Blvd entrance.  As I was smoking, I saw a gorgeous blond walking in with two other guys, I paid no attention to the two dudes but after they disappeared in to the venue, my friends told me the two guys were G Love and Jack Johnson.  Figured out the surprise guest beforehand.  The blond was apparently G Love’s wife. 

Lots of Jam band shows including phish, widespread panic, string cheese incident, Dave Matthews band, and victor wooten.

Caught Steve Miller band at Red Rocks which was great.

Herbie Hancock at UCLA Royce Hall was awesome.

But my most memorable show ever is Buddy Guy at his own club Legends in Chicago a few years ago.  He was 79 at the time but damn he still can rock it with the best of them.

• Like 1

"Best" is awfully subjective. And impossible for me to choose.

The soundtracks to some of the favorite hours of my life?

Some Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band shows. Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour. David Gilmour solo. Jimmy Cliff. Robert Hunter solo a few years ago. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Mark Knopfler. Pat Benatar. Tull. Johnny Lang. And a very long list of others.

Recent wonderful discovery: Marcus King Band

I'm really looking forward to seeing David Byrne in September. All reports point to his current being a terrific tour.

• Like 2

I go to a lot of concerts.  About half are concerts that I want to see, and the other half are concerts that my kids want to see.  I actually even enjoy the ones my kids want to see.  It’s hard for me not to have a good time at a concert, even if it is one for the kids.  I love seeing their faces light up when their favorite musician comes out on stage and seeing them sing the words to every song.

Paul McCartney, last year surprisingly did more Beatles songs than solo songs.  And even more surprisingly brought out Bruce Springsteen and Steven Van Zandt for the encore.

5DD4420C-20AB-4762-96A6-E9E94E5CE8E0.thumb.jpeg.d8774bd536248750b0b89ad78933f9b8.jpeg

Metallica was amazing...

FEC37C58-9946-4762-A2A8-FC6937894B2A.thumb.jpeg.4650d494fa50f7b3c73963e2cf42892e.jpeg

Black Sabbath on their final tour...

E029F98A-4A56-409B-AEE2-1BC5BA66FDCA.thumb.jpeg.eac5fb077fad303fc8d7f963ba1f330b.jpeg

David Gilmour was as close to being at a Pink Floyd show as you could possibly get...

84D112C7-0021-4CEC-A93A-D6A664F1CF69.thumb.jpeg.8d86851e06359afcb1fc3ae85710e9aa.jpeg

I took my son to see Guns N Roses last year.  Amazing show!

1155DD22-0AE2-4112-8706-4A53850CB6B1.thumb.jpeg.3b274e7d03ef3ec1402991ac56a53c34.jpeg

And Most recently, I saw Bob Weir and Phil Lesh as a duet at Radio City Music Hall...

52F0F809-84CC-48E4-B638-23F28F4E7939.thumb.jpeg.6dfec2428773d0591314442c509a56f4.jpeg

• Like 4

I saw Bob Dylan and the Band on the final tour in the old Boston Garden on 1/14/74. 

Talking heads at the Paradise Boston in '77 was probably the best concert I ever was at.

Jethro Tull, because I was in the tenth row center stage in '78. 

• Like 3

I saw Dead and Co in Boulder this summer (take the step-daughter and wife every year) and it was phenomenal.  Second night was one of the best shows I've ever seen anywhere.  While in previous years sound mixing appeared to be an issue at Folsom Field (all I remember hearing was Mayer's guitar), this time around they nailed the mix.  It also took 3 years, but the band members really started playing together and making something special--stopped sounding like a cover band and started playing like a band that knew their stuff.

I've seen a lot of shows--Phish at MSG, Cream even, but this one took the cake. 

• Like 1

My first concert was AC/DC Back in Black tour.  I was instantly hooked and attend every tour they had, short of The Razor's Edge tour while I was in Iraq.  Was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd minus Waters twice in Atlanta (honestly, I didn't miss Waters).  Loved the White Stripes, U2, the Eagles, Guns-n-Roses.  But, nothing compares to a live AC/DC show.  

Dryvin' and Cryin', a local Atlanta band with some national radio play, also put on Thanksgiving evening shows at Atlanta's Fox theater in the 90's that were epic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

David Gilmour was as close to being at a Pink Floyd show as you could possibly get...

My favourite guitarist of all time. Much of the voice and most of the music that was the best of Pink Floyd. Waters was definitely the creative force, but Gilmour made it sing. Their solo careers clearly show the lack of the other. Never seen Gilmour live, but picked up the Live at Pompeii show on Blu-Ray recently. Fantastic performance. He's still got it, the old bugger. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

My favourite guitarist of all time. Much of the voice and most of the music that was the best of Pink Floyd. Waters was definitely the creative force, but Gilmour made it sing. Their solo careers clearly show the lack of the other. Never seen Gilmour live, but picked up the Live at Pompeii show on Blu-Ray recently. Fantastic performance. He's still got it, the old bugger. 

I only saw Pink Floyd once with both Waters and Gilmour, and then I saw them a couple more times after Waters left.  I’ve gotta say, they didnt sound all that much different without Waters.  And having seen them both solo, the Waters concert, while amazing, didnt transport me back to Pink Floyd the way the Gilmour concert did.  Gilmour has the better voice, and Gilmour has the guitar ability that made Pink Floyd famous.  

Waters’ biggest contribution to the band was in his writing, which shouldn’t be minimized, because without it, there would be no Pink Floyd.

Some people swear by Syd Barrett, because they fancy themselves as “purists”.  And I love Pipers as much as the next guy, but lets face reality, the band didn't take off until he was out of the picture Gilmour joined the band.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Perfect analysis.  

• Like 1

As a young man in HS I was able to see the Minutemen a month before D. Boon died in an accident. As an older man Chris Cornell solo in DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I only saw Pink Floyd once with both Waters and Gilmour, and then I saw them a couple more times after Waters left.  I’ve gotta say, they didnt sound all that much different without Waters.  And having seen them both solo, the Waters concert, while amazing, didnt transport me back to Pink Floyd the way the Gilmour concert did.  Gilmour has the better voice, and Gilmour has the guitar ability that made Pink Floyd famous.  

Waters’ biggest contribution to the band was in his writing, which shouldn’t be minimized, because without it, there would be no Pink Floyd.

Some people swear by Syd Barrett, because they fancy themselves as “purists”.  And I love Pipers as much as the next guy, but lets face reality, the band didn't take off until he was out of the picture Gilmour joined the band.  

Agree 100%. Syd was very much the same as Roger--a great creative force, but far from the best musician or vocalist. Gilmour brought all that to the band and more. I don't for a minute believe that Dark Side is possible without him. Roger wrote some stunning material, and he definitely drove the band leadership-wise (megalomaniacs anonymous!), but Gilmour incorporated all that he was lacking--strong musicality, finesse, tone, voice... The two big encore songs for any iteration of a Floyd concert are Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here. Both have Gilmour stamped all over them. When I see Roger's solo bands perform those songs, all I'm thinking is, let's see how well can they emulate Dave? There's no need for that in the reverse situation; you can pretty much plonk anyone into the line-up to emulate Roger, live performance-wise. That said, the post-Roger Floyd albums are not nearly as good as far as the songwriting and concepts go...

In sum, it's a desperate shame they couldn't get along, stay together. I think they had one or two, maybe three, major works still left in them. 

• Like 2

My son got invited to a Weezer concert and I went along on sat evening. I remember a few tunes from the 90s but really went into the show not knowing what to expect. Goddamn they really put on a great show, the opposite of “phoning it in”. I was very impressed, and also shocked at the fact that the crowd seemed to be mostly 20 somethings. I was expecting a bunch of 40 something dads like me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk