Best live music you've been to or show you have coming up?

I've been to a lot, but three shows jump to mind:

front row, center for Tool on the 10,000 Days tour

Johnny Winter in a small club, playing almost non-stop for 3 hours

The Waterboys, playing their Yeats album in a room with about 50 people

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Led Zeppelin - 1975 - me and two buddies spent two winter days and nights camped out rotating shifts in line for tickets and in the car to warm up. Well worth it I might add. Better live show than Pin

Best concert:  Prince "Purple Rain Tour" Detroit 1984.  Wasn't really a fan, but took my girlfriend (now wife of 30 yrs).  Sold out show, but knew they released unused band tickets an hour before the

I go to a lot of concerts.  About half are concerts that I want to see, and the other half are concerts that my kids want to see.  I actually even enjoy the ones my kids want to see.  It’s hard for me

Many good shows but a stand out for me was Garth Brooks, early in his career at Notre Dame.

Coming up..Jimmy Buffet in October in Salt Lake City

I have a couple of shows coming up.  Pearl Jam at Fenway Park Labor day weekend, and Ozzy later that month

I'll make an effort to see Pearl Jam whenever they're somewhat close to home.  Iron Maiden too.  Both bands are great to see live

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, JohnS said:

February 1996, Enmore Theatre, Sydney...

Jeff Buckley Hard Luck Tour. I was there! ?

200046213932.jpg

I enjoyed two shows his father Tim did in Vancouver in the early 70's, one at the Egress and one at the Commodore, alas both died too young.

Tim was a great song writer "Greetings From LA" an album for those times.

• Like 1

In no particular order...
Motörhead supported by the UK Subs at Hammersmith Apollo about 4 years ago. Both with lead singers in their late 60's at the time, both acting 40 years younger. Brilliant.
Primal Scream supported by George Clinton and the P-Funk All-stars at Brixton Academy 1995. We got da funk! All nighter.
The Wedding Present in an upstairs room of a pub in Lancaster 1985. Knew I'd miss the last bus home and walked the 7 miles in the small hours. Still love this band.
Lined up? The Darts (US) are playing somewhere in London next month and they're my new favourite band so I might have to get tickets for that.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:36 PM, grizzlee said:

Led Zeppelin - 1975 - me and two buddies spent two winter days and nights camped out rotating shifts in line for tickets and in the car to warm up. Well worth it I might add. Better live show than Pink Floyd, The Stones, and The Who. (A luxury of being a little older than most here, that I got to see them all.) 

I was born in 85. So I never got to see Led Zeppelin, they are my favorite band.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:00 PM, Stump89 said:

Really been getting into them lately.  Thought Zeppelin made a comeback at first lol.  Would love to see them play live.

I thought it was Zeppelin when I first heard them on the radio. Like an unreleased song or something 

In my younger days, there was never a concert I wouldn’t go to. It was just my thing ... two or three nights a week I’d see some band perform, big and small. These days, about the only band I see live is a friends’ rock band that is pretty successful and tours the world regularly. That is, whenever they come to town.

But the “best” would probably be my first ... Chuck Berry. I was too young to appreciate it at the time but the memories of seeing him decked out in his flashy suit, hoping on one leg across the stage to Johnny B Goode or belting out Maybellene with sweat streaming down his face. So good!

• Like 1

Can't really say which was best, but my first is probably most memorable - YES at the Boston Garden late '70s or very early '80s, with the revolving circular stage. Saw the Ramones three different times, with each having their own little story. Stevie Ray Vaughn and The Fabulous Thunderbirds on the same bill at The Orpheum in Boston. Santana. Judas Priest. Heart. Angel. Aerosmith. Metallica (with Cliff Burton) at The Channel in Boston at a Saturday all ages show - so loud I left early.

I watched Billy Joel close out Shea Stadium in NYC. In my opinion, one of the best singer/songwriters we've had the privilege to listen/watch. I sat in the upper deck at old Shea and I thought we were gonna fall off. That deck was swaying up and down. Then when people thought it couldn't get any better... He invited Sir Paul McCartney onto the stage. Brought the house down. We took public transportation in and out and our group included about 25 friends and acquaintances. We took over every train car we sat in. Singing Billy Joel tunes all the way home. Great memories!

Honorable mention...I saw Prince in concert bank in 2005. He was promoting a new album and just didn't do enough of the old stuff I was expecting. Great show nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

I watched Billy Joel close out Shea Stadium in NYC. In my opinion, one of the best singer/songwriters we've had the privilege to listen/watch. I sat in the upper deck at old Shea and I thought we were gonna fall off. That deck was swaying up and down. Then when people thought it couldn't get any better... He invited Sir Paul McCartney onto the stage. Brought the house down. We took public transportation in and out and our group included about 25 friends and acquaintances. We took over every train car we sat in. Singing Billy Joel tunes all the way home. Great memories!

Honorable mention...I saw Prince in concert bank in 2005. He was promoting a new album and just didn't do enough of the old stuff I was expecting. Great show nonetheless.

saw billy joel twice. first time in london late 80s. brilliant. had christie brinkley on stage (or rather just off stage, i guess). but such energy. amazing. a brilliant concert.

second time sydney, i think - could have been brizzy. a shadow of himself. it was some years later and he had split with the wife. very bitter. embarrassingly so. none of the energy. had ballooned. really disappointing. i prefer to think of him as he was the first time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

saw billy joel twice. first time in london late 80s. brilliant. had christie brinkley on stage (or rather just off stage, i guess). but such energy. amazing. a brilliant concert.

second time sydney, i think - could have been brizzy. a shadow of himself. it was some years later and he had split with the wife. very bitter. embarrassingly so. none of the energy. had ballooned. really disappointing. i prefer to think of him as he was the first time. 

I think that show was either a fluke, or it was just a bad period in his life.  He plays at Madison Square Garden about once a month.  He just played his 100th show there, and Bruce Springsteen joined him to celebrate on stage.  He puts on an amazing performance, every time.

• Like 1

I think Elliot is spot on. May have been an off night in an off period in his life. Here's Sir Paul and Billy explaining the logistics of getting him to the stadium that night. 

I feel the need to go see him again at MSG. He's basically got residency at Madison Square Garden at this point. He'll be doing a show a month there until he retires. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I think that show was either a fluke, or it was just a bad period in his life.  He plays at Madison Square Garden about once a month.  He just played his 100th show there, and Bruce Springsteen joined him to celebrate on stage.  He puts on an amazing performance, every time.

agree. it was all about the ex and he really was bitter. it was a few years, from memory, after the split but still very raw.

first time was sensational. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

agree. it was all about the ex and he really was bitter. it was a few years, from memory, after the split but still very raw.

first time was sensational. 

Im pretty sure she is batshit crazy, because you dont leave a woman that looks like that, and she had 3 husbands leave her.

I’m sure she was driving him nuts during that time.

The picture with my daughter was just last year.  She was 63 years old.  The one with me in it below was maybe 12 years ago.

805696A3-EB92-47CF-8219-BCBDA467552D.thumb.jpeg.1af1ea32b6a5565c7c94d8fe6bd1bff2.jpeg

4671A5E0-17C1-4132-9C19-E91C99166F12.jpeg.bcc44633686aca5dc516bb91dba92f7b.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool thread.  

I envy those that got to see a lot of the great 70's bands back in their heydays, Zep, Floyd, Stones, etc.  I'm a big live bootleg collector so at the very least I can listen to some excellent concerts from the past.  With that said; I did get a chance to see some great shows nonetheless.

For instance, a relatively unknown GnR opening up for Iron Maiden shortly after Appetite for Destruction launched.

• Seeing Rush 5 times since the Signals tours.  Would have loved to see them during the Hemispheres tour. 
  • Saw Iron Maiden  and Judas Priest about 5 times.  Can't go wrong there.  :)
  • Got to see Heaven and Hell with Ronnie James Dio back in 2009.  The first and only time I saw him perform live.  And his voice was more powerful than the recordings.  RIP RJD.
  • Motorhead one time.  Too short a set.  Epic nonetheless.
  • Metallica a couple of times. The most memorable being their Toronto stop for the Master Or Puppets tour. A few months after Cliff Burton died.  
  • Probably the best "show" had to be KISS on one their late 90's reunion tours. Not the greatest band of musicians, but they sure know how to put on a show.  

3 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Im pretty sure she is batshit crazy, because you dont leave a woman that looks like that, and she had 3 husbands leave her.

The picture with my daughter was just last year.  She was 63 years old.  The one with me in it below was maybe 12 years ago.

805696A3-EB92-47CF-8219-BCBDA467552D.thumb.jpeg.1af1ea32b6a5565c7c94d8fe6bd1bff2.jpeg

That woman ... I have no idea how she does it.  I mean, 63 and still killin’ it.  There’s a lot of women half her age that wouldn’t make “the list” but I’d put Christie on it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Used to go see live music constantly. Growing up in the NYC area and everybody plays nyc. Summer shows at Jones Beach. Waiting on line and buying tix to 20 shows at once for the beach. Santana, Rush, Jethro tull, B.B. KIng  with Buddy Guy, Steve Miller, Fleetwood Mac, Bonnie Raitt, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Crosby Stills and Nash, The Allman Brothers,  Frank Zappa, Billy Joel doing his annual Christmas/New Years run at Nassau Coliseum. Loved seeing music in New Orleans also. The Meters, Neville Bros, Walter Wolfman, Dr. John, Tab Benoit. Tons of Jazz. Kermit Ruffins, Ellis Marsalis. The late night jazz at Praline Connection. Too many to list. Loved seeing the grateful dead all over the country. Caught the close to 130 times, Garcia Band around 25. The Atlantic Records 40th Anniv show at MSG 15 hours long. Yes, Genesis, CSN, Bee Gees, Led Zeppelin, The Rascals, old timers from stax/ volt owned by Atlantic. Rufus Thomas, Laverne Baker, Booker T. The house band was Steve cropper, Donald duck dunn, Paul Schaffer, Booker T. Love seeing shows in small venues now much more intimate. One special night upstate New York saw Amos Lee play in a tiny old church up on a mountain for about 30 of us. Magical night.

26 minutes ago, iannai169 said:

Used to go see live music constantly. Growing up in the NYC area and everybody plays nyc. Summer shows at Jones Beach. Waiting on line and buying tix to 20 shows at once for the beach. Santana, Rush, Jethro tull, B.B. KIng  with Buddy Guy, Steve Miller, Fleetwood Mac, Bonnie Raitt, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Crosby Stills and Nash, The Allman Brothers,  Frank Zappa, Billy Joel doing his annual Christmas/New Years run at Nassau Coliseum. Loved seeing music in New Orleans also. The Meters, Neville Bros, Walter Wolfman, Dr. John, Tab Benoit. Tons of Jazz. Kermit Ruffins, Ellis Marsalis. The late night jazz at Praline Connection. Too many to list. Loved seeing the grateful dead all over the country. Caught the close to 130 times, Garcia Band around 25. The Atlantic Records 40th Anniv show at MSG 15 hours long. Yes, Genesis, CSN, Bee Gees, Led Zeppelin, The Rascals, old timers from stax/ volt owned by Atlantic. Rufus Thomas, Laverne Baker, Booker T. The house band was Steve cropper, Donald duck dunn, Paul Schaffer, Booker T. Love seeing shows in small venues now much more intimate. One special night upstate New York saw Amos Lee play in a tiny old church up on a mountain for about 30 of us. Magical night.

have seen bb king, fleetwood mac (terrific), neil young a couple of times (also brilliant), bonnie raitt, jackson browne, dylan a few times (the first was the budokan era - one of the best ever, the second with tom petty and his band), clapton.

always regretted not seeing jethro tull. 

Just now, iannai169 said:

"Budokan" era Dylan Nice! Missed that by a couple of years ? Saw the Petty Dylan shows lots of fun. Clapton is always top notch. I've seen him about a dozen times. "Jethro Tull" was my first concert. 

budokan dylan was my first ever major concert. other than springsteen, not sure i've seen much better. fantastic show. slept outside the old festival hall all night to get tickets. nearly as much fun as the concert.

i remember that he did an encore and then no one left for at least 15 minutes, stomping, yelling, clapping. he finally came back again. i have read several times that this was the first time he ever did a second encore. not sure if that is true but it was great stuff. 

clapton, think i have written elsewhere, was at the royal albert hall, at a time i had my own box (or at least, i had control of a box). i was talking to a bloke in the crowd before the concert and he said he was very reluctant to come to this, 87 i think, as he had seen him at the albert hall back in the sixties and he said it was awful. he was hours late, completely high, could hardly play a note.

fortunately, in brilliant form the night i saw him. had mark knoplfer on guitar and phil collins on drums. great show. 

9 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

i always thought that she walked out on him. that was certainly the way he was portraying it. really angry at her for leaving him. 

18 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i always thought that she walked out on him. that was certainly the way he was portraying it. really angry at her for leaving him. 

I was always under the impression that they broke up because Joel had an affair.  But I guess that doesnt mean he wasn’t angry at her for leaving.