Trinidad Reyes - when do you think they are at their best?

Hi Just wondering what members preference is as to when to smoke Reyes, at how many years of age do you think they are at their peak. 

I have had only Reyes with less than a year on them, and ones with just under two, both good cigars but with little in the way of difference between them. 

How are they ROTT? With 3 or 5 years down?

Thanks

I had a run of them in 2015/16 but haven't had them since. In that time, I think they were one to two years old. I can say, with confidence, that in relation to recent 2017 Trinidad Fundadores that I've been smoking, which has been a consistent, lovely blend of coffee and dough as the main flavours, those Reyes were different, more sweet, grassy at times and stronger in coffee-type flavours.

Interestingly, the Trinidad Reyes came second as the most popular minuto/perlas (okay, technically it's a Reyes, but hey, the Cohiba Secretos has the same dimensions and its factory name is 'Secretos!) in a poll recently, so, to me, that's a good indication that it's smoking well now, or younger.

I won a box via 24:24 last November and they will be finally making their way (via Miami,) to Toronto next week with my mother in law along with two other boxes that seemed to have circumnavigated the world due to customs issues.

Believe me, never in history has a man been looking forward to his mother in law coming to visit as I am.

• Haha 3

Among the best coming out of Cuba atm if you ask me, and one of my favourites. This is one of those few cigars that are very enjoyable already starting about a year after boxing (when moisture is kept in check), but really come to shine with a few years (glorious at 5 yrs, I concur) of age on them. Gaining in complexity and depth. Never had one falling flat, so assume these have a long plateau of goodness rather than a sharp peak.

@JohnS- thanks for pointing to that poll, missed it. But they got it all wrong: the Reyes IS actually the best "Minuto" :P

• Thanks 1

Nice to hear you guys say it will age well, and get even better. I get black coffee with some sweetness, and great smoothness from the younger ones I've had, and will be getting more to lay down if they get even better ?

I enjoyed a young 5x5 of them last year. I was kicking myself for not keeping a few. Juat got my hands on an AME JUL 14 (IIRC) 5x5 about a week ago. Had one ROTT and didn’t regret it a bit. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how they turn out after rest, and with 4 years of age behind them. 

I get a taste in the final third that i can only describe as ‘salted german soft pretzel’. The only other cigar that gives me that (not surprisingly) is the vigia. It’s truly a delightful flavor. 

I've had the best luck with Reyes after about 2 years. I've smoked some with a few more years and can't really tell a difference. Not a cigar that needs a lot of time. I've smoked many with only a year or so on them and they were very good.

Not sure how they perform at 10 years or more, but I've had other Trini with that much age and they seem to be a bit more robust. 

• Like 1

In my many years of smoking the Trinidad Reyes, it has become one of my favorite cigars of all time no matter what the box date or the factory code.  I've had many boxes and have compared them side by side, aged, fresh, oily wrapper, dry wrapper, and I can definitively say that the the Reyes are at their best when they're in my mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/27/2018 at 12:56 AM, db13 said:

I did as well. Message me when you smoke one I’m curious to know what you think. I probably won’t be smoking mine until October.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:05 AM, Silverstix said:

Same here, will do though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you could share your findings here too, that would be great :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They arrived!!

Cigars looked and smelt lovely.

Had to relight once. The backend had a touch of ammonia,  so perhaps could do with some age but it really didn't distract from my enjoyment too much. Couldn't really sit down and appreciate as much as I would have liked as wife and mother in law were on the balcony with me at times, jabbering in Spanish.

All in all I was very happy and it would be interesting to try a Reyes with some real age on it to determine if the touch of ammonia I experienced dissipates and brings out some more smoothness. 

Only real complaint is it could have been a little longer but I got about 35-40 minutes of enjoyment. 

Hope you all enjoy yours.

IMG_20180810_2114432.jpg

IMG_20180810_2114501.jpg

IMG_20180810_2115060.jpg

IMG_20180810_2115191.jpg

IMG_20180810_2134225.jpg

IMG_20180810_2158507.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 3:55 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I've had the best luck with Reyes after about 2 years. I've smoked some with a few more years and can't really tell a difference. Not a cigar that needs a lot of time. I've smoked many with only a year or so on them and they were very good.

Not sure how they perform at 10 years or more, but I've had other Trini with that much age and they seem to be a bit more robust. 

My thoughts exactly. They really don't need a lot of downtime IMO, in fact I tend to find them pretty good ROTT.