What Do You Look For In a Restaurant

Colt45

I like a comfortable ambience. Good service. But I've always looked at restaurants as places where people get fed, so the food is paramount. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I do look for honest. I understand that food can be art, but molecular gastronomy is not my style. I also don't feel great about paying twenty bucks for a plate of pasta. The occasion is really irrelevant - the previous still applies. As much as I love a good steak, I'm no fan of steak houses...

One of my favorite restaurants was a place in Newport Rhode Island - I most often sat at the "bar" which enclosed the open kitchen. A very nice space, clean, bright, unpretentious. One owner was head chef, the other poured the wine. Great food, no muss, no fuss. You could wear a jacket and tie, or shorts and a t shirt.

I'm not against fancy and black tie, but again, for me it ends up being the food......

Good ambience and food is important while not being too overpriced. But most important in how I’ll judge a restaurant is the wine service. To many places get something as simple as serving red wine at the wrong temperature wrong. Those I will not go back to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, LLC said:

But most important in how I’ll judge a restaurant is the wine service.

Oddly enough, when I check out a new place, the first thing I look at is the wine list. As long as there are a few decent choices, it's not a deal breaker. I agree that reds are often served too warm, but also that whites are often served too cold.

very common problem - reds too warm, whites too cold. 

unless they are a destination i am keen to try for whatever reason - reputation, favoured chef, word of mouth, type of cuisine - normally, my first box to tick is if they will do BYO. if not, usually go elsewhere. 

very common problem - reds too warm, whites too cold. 
unless they are a destination i am keen to try for whatever reason - reputation, favoured chef, word of mouth, type of cuisine - normally, my first box to tick is if they will do BYO. if not, usually go elsewhere. 

Common but inexcusable. Not hard to get it right and it shows a total lack of attention to detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/27/2018 at 2:17 AM, Colt45 said:

the food is paramount. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I do look for honest.

... in a nutshell.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:17 AM, Colt45 said:

unpretentious

'unpretentious' - indeed is the term that's key to me. Sadly a rare species for which you have to look far and wide

Depends on the occasion and my mood. Usually, if I'm fine dining I prefer a bit of space between tables and carpet on the floor so it isn't too noisy. I can get agitated with constant clanking echoing at times. I also like a good sommelier to help with my wine selections. I don't quite know enough to be really confident on my choice so I use their expertise to make the experience memorable. Never can remember what I drank though. I also like to order a lot of smaller dishes so a good degustation menu is something I would go for if a special occasion. When I'm in the mood for a drink I like smaller, busy, noisy places like Izakaya in Japan. If there's locals packing the place then it must be good.

Things I like - Spanish Tapas with sherries and light reds - Japanese with sake and Sapporo beer - French influence with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and maybe a Shiraz or Cab Sav - Argentinian/Peruvian with Malbec. I would like to explore middle eastern a bit more but don't have a lot of experience and not sure about wine match etc.