foods you cannot stand and won't eat

I do not understand the question.

To date, I have not found any food I would refuse to eat again.  Offal?  Delicious.  Witchitty grubs?  Had them raw and cooked, and they are quite pleasant with a taste like oyster (raw) or scrambled egg (cooked).  Surstromming from Sweden is a delicacy I would love to find here in Oz, ditto Icelandic hakarl (fermented shark).  Norwegians were amazed when I asked for a second helping of lutefisk.  The world is my culinary oyster...

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won’t touch spaghetti. Ever. When I was child, my aunt lived in Italy and married an Italian man, Elio, with incredible cooking abilities. When they moved to the U.S., Elio kept watch over me whi

You guys are making me hungry.

Last sentence leads to a uncomfortable question... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, gweilgi said:

To date, I have not found any food I would refuse to eat again.  Offal?  Delicious.  Witchitty grubs?  Had them raw and cooked, and they are quite pleasant with a taste like oyster (raw) or scrambled egg (cooked).  Surstromming from Sweden is a delicacy I would love to find here in Oz, ditto Icelandic hakarl (fermented shark).  Norwegians were amazed when I asked for a second helping of lutefisk.  The world is my culinary oyster...

all of those are fine. we have an annual offal lunch which is brilliant. 

but for most of us, there is something we detest. 

and you do so understand the question!! 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

all of those are fine. we have an annual offal lunch which is brilliant. 

but for most of us, there is something we detest. 

and you do so understand the question!! 

To be perfectly honest, I have not tried the Arab delicacy of sheep eyeballs yet ... but I have hopes.

I can no longer enjoy oysters because of allergy -- one oyster, and I can vomit for my country, both volume and distance -- but I deeply regret this.  Other than that, I have literally never encountered any food I would actively avoid.  Hell, I have had White Castle sliders and British rail sandwiches, and living in London has given me my fill of rat and cat from Chinese takeaways....

Now, drink, on the other hand ... if you have never "enjoyed" a cheeky bubbly red from the Crimea, you haven't done your job as a wine critic!  In the immortal words of Monty Python, this is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE! This is not a wine for drinking -- this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.  

23 minutes ago, gweilgi said:

To be perfectly honest, I have not tried the Arab delicacy of sheep eyeballs yet ... but I have hopes.

I can no longer enjoy oysters because of allergy -- one oyster, and I can vomit for my country, both volume and distance -- but I deeply regret this.  Other than that, I have literally never encountered any food I would actively avoid.  Hell, I have had White Castle sliders and British rail sandwiches, and living in London has given me my fill of rat and cat from Chinese takeaways....

Now, drink, on the other hand ... if you have never "enjoyed" a cheeky bubbly red from the Crimea, you haven't done your job as a wine critic!  In the immortal words of Monty Python, this is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE! This is not a wine for drinking -- this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.  

one of my prized possessions is a crimean wine made in 1945, literally less than 50 yards from where the yalta conference took place. so was quietly fermenting away the same year as churchill, stalin roosevelt were deciding the fate of the world. i have enjoyed a number of wines from crimea, some, from the massandra winery, truly spectacular. i first started drinking georgian sparklings in the mid 80s, when you could pick up large tubs of brilliant caviar for peanuts. the caviar did not save the sparkling. i've had kenyan paw paw wine and that is a far better use of those vile yellow dropkicks than just eating them. a thai white that would have killed a brown dog. iranian gin, that almost killed me. you name it...

i've had as many weird things as the world wants to throw at any of us - wine-soaked snake and pickled scorpion, rat on a stick, bear paw (not knowingly), monkey, lord knows what in finland but i liked it. all of which i'd eat again before pumpkin, popcorn and paw paw. 

but this is not the point of this. 

you won't eat oysters. the reason is irrelevant. there is one. welcome to the club. 

Macaroni salad, potato salad. Pretty much anything with wads of mayo

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

Celery.  It’s my ipecac....

?

Same here.  Vile stringy stalks of grassy sewer water.  Ugh.  I have tried to like it.

Also, I don’t like most mushrooms, but I don’t mind the fungal earthy taste of other things.  It’s a strange dislike.  Celery though is just a pure aversion.  

My mom can’t stand sweet potatoes so as a result I didn’t try them until I was well into my twenties. My dad despises mac and cheese, so we’d only eat it when he wasn’t home.

I guess I’d have to differentiate between real foods and crap that only drunk Asian guys will eat on a dare. For real foods, no, I guess there’s nothing I would refuse to eat.

*)  Butter

*) Mayonnaise

*) Okra

*) Beets

[ Er - s'cuse me while I go throw up*** :covermouth:]

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gweilgi said:

Videos or it didn’t happen, ??

Not a fan of liver or any organ meats.  The mineral taste and texture I do not like.  Have had it all over the world in the finest preparation's and just don't like.

Do not like sweet potatoes or yams.  Something about the smell and flavor gets me sick before I can even taste it.

Along with @cigcars I am not a fan of mayo and generally Okra.  I am fine with Okra in India, but in the US they just don't cook it the same.  Pickled Okra is good.

That gray tuna-mush you see in sandwich shops. The kind that people have with a baked potato.

Makes me bolk.

I love a fresh tuna steak done on the grill, but I can never reconcile it as being from the same fish as that monochrome vomit.

Aubergines (eggplant) - I eat it (the Mrs loves it), but - I don't get it. Sauteed, au gratin, grilled - it always remains a sponge to me that lives on passive seasoning.

42 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Aubergines (eggplant) - I eat it (the Mrs loves it), but - I don't get it. Sauteed, au gratin, grilled - it always remains a sponge to me that lives on passive seasoning.

This can be annoying, but this always works for me

- slice 20mm thick, liberally salt a chopping board

- place the slices on the salt, and salt over the top. leave for 15 mins

- wash all the salt off the Aubergine, and place the sliced on a clean tea-towel/kitchen roll

- press another tea-towel/kitchen roll over the top (with some force), this collapses the retaining moisture cells, and stops them being sponge like. 

- Liberally olive oil the slices, and grill on either side until golden brown. 

I agree sour sponge like aubergine can be awful, but done like this it's one of my favourite foods. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, westg said:

Mint..anything mint...mint chocolate..so gross...The thought of anyone drinking spearmint milk makes me sick ..

Right!! And nobody gets it, do they?

Was gifted some Davidoff Churchill Late Hour Robustos: they smelled of After Eight Mints... ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the list is long.  Top 3:

-Fish ( I know it is healthy but I cant get past the fishy taste or the texture)

-Organ meat or anything that has even a hint of it as an ingredient.

-Snails

Many more to that list but these are deal breakers for me.

Jello and anything with similar texture - makes me gag.

Sea cucumber.

Lots of other things I don’t particularly enjoy or seek out (like Papaya) but those two are showstoppers.