foods you cannot stand and won't eat

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won’t touch spaghetti. Ever. When I was child, my aunt lived in Italy and married an Italian man, Elio, with incredible cooking abilities. When they moved to the U.S., Elio kept watch over me whi

You guys are making me hungry.

Last sentence leads to a uncomfortable question... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried fermented shark in Iceland once.  Never again.

Oooh - I still need to try that one.

Surströmming really wasn’t bad at all. The bones bothered me more than the smell.

I honnestly can eat almost anything. Obviously there are things I enjoy more than others and I do love fine cuisine, but I've eaten and enjoyed lots of strange things : almost any inners from cows, pigs, sheeps, ant larvaes, grasshoppers. I am trying to recall but I am pretty sure there is no common food I can't eat!

On 10/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, MIKA27 said:

My girlfriend Jess is Vietnamese, she thinks she has found my achilles Heel in Durian Fruit.

I am yet to try this as yet... 

I'm now a little worried, but even if I don't like it, I'll pretend I do to keep my record in tact ;) 

durian is awesome, particularly in cakes and pastries, but DO NOT keep leftovers. it took more than two weeks for the smell to leave my fridge, and i changed the box of baking soda twice!

-dobbs

12 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I forgot something: sea cucumber - I dislike the texture.

Guess what was featured in 3 of 8 courses at my wedding in Taiwan?

100% hate the stuff as well, remembered trying it (forcefully) by parents when a kid. Don't understand it, for me tasteless and pointless much like sharks fin (aside the insane cruelty to get the product)

Not huge on celery and bitter melon/gourd also forcefully tried as a child.

It's funny how your taste for foods can change over your life.  My mom (who worked full time along with my dad, so I can't blame them for quick and easy meals) would make the most awful Brussel sprouts you can imagine.  She'd take frozen Brussel sprouts and boil them until all the sulfur was cooked out of them and floating in the air.  We'd then receive a portion of soggy, olive drab sprouts that dwarfed whatever else it was being served alongside.  After moving out at 18, I never ate Brussel sprouts until I was at a restaurant with my wife- about 20 years.  I loved them.  They were steamed then pan seared in a balsamic glaze- fantastic.  I eat them whenever we go out now.  I would eat them at home, but I don't cook them because my wife dislikes them.  So it's not always what a food it that might make it unappetizing, but could be as much about preparation.

4 hours ago, dobbs said:

durian is awesome, particularly in cakes and pastries, but DO NOT keep leftovers. it took more than two weeks for the smell to leave my fridge, and i changed the box of baking soda twice!

-dobbs

Well since my last post, I can now honestly say I've tasted Durian in a cake and I actually didn't mind it.

That is not to say I would venture out and buy Durian cake, but should it be offered, I'd eat it.

1 hour ago, MIKA27 said:

Well since my last post, I can now honestly say I've tasted Durian in a cake and I actually didn't mind it.

That is not to say I would venture out and buy Durian cake, but should it be offered, I'd eat it.

Next time, try durian custard. The flavour is stronger.

58 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Next time, try durian custard. The flavour is stronger.

The cake I tried had the custard in it mate. It was strong but not off putting either. :) 

On 10/16/2018 at 2:34 PM, torsion said:

100% hate the stuff as well, remembered trying it (forcefully) by parents when a kid. Don't understand it, for me tasteless and pointless much like sharks fin (aside the insane cruelty to get the product)

Not huge on celery and bitter melon/gourd also forcefully tried as a child.

Sea cucumber made the Chinese way is more about that slimy texture than flavor. I hated it as a kid when it was served at various banquets, but I have to admit I had it recently and it’s grown on me. Apparently if you bread it and fry it it’s more to western tastes and absolutely delicious.