high roller bourbons

Ken Gargett

1 minute ago, CaskStrength said:

Happy to see the Jefferson's Ocean get some respect.  I thought it would be a gimmick, but there's a lot of maritime notes I only get with Islays and other island scotches.  I hope it comes back here soon as it's one I keep reaching for.  I still need to grab a bottle of Bookers to round out my collection.

big fan of jeffersons ocean. 

• Like 3

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm gonna be the crazy guy in the room to say there aren't *really* many high roller bourbons. The stratospheric prices bottles of bourbon have been driven to, do not guarantee quality. The quality is

Sitting here sipping CEHT SINGLE BARREL thinkng hard about walking a block to my local store and dropping another $80 for the straight rye. I caved....

I am really into drinking and collecting high end, limited edition and rare bourbons.  Here are a few pics of some of my collection: (Bookers, Booker's 25th - I have 10 sealed bottles, George T S

If you like the ocean, you'll like the cask strength version even more. 58c0dc7a6d442a80347ec6a12f73b2e3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

just checked various sites. looks like no Ocean out here at the moment. standard and reserve only. also no cask strength. 
There's also a new wheated ocean, but I haven't tried it.

I just bought 3 bottles of weller 12 for $55 canadian each. I think I would pay up to $70 canadian each but above that no thanks.

I really don't understand why anyone would pay near $170 US for weller 12. Its not that good as many have stated. Maybe people with money that just don't care and people whom haven't tried it and just really want it. 

Noahs Mill is great stuff. Love it. Wish I could find it here in Canada. I'm pretty sure this is sourced juice from one or various distillers. Someone told me that some of the barrels could be 15 years old? You would think this could run out one day.

Willett pot still is good stuff. Never tried any of Willets aged stuff besides their rye which was great.

I like the Jeffersons Ocean which had a slight salt caramel taste to it. Very cool. I'd like to try the cask strength version of this.

I've always thought Blantons fancy bottle made it seem better than it is. Just thought it was good not great. They have a duty free retail exclusive that is Straight From the Barrel which i think I would enjoy far better if I could ever find one. 

Bookers is a great cask strength bourbon. We only get their regular production stuff here and not all the other offerings. 

Elmer T Lee is on my must find list and has been for sometime as well as George Stagg if I can buy it at MSRP not secondary. 

I've never tried any of the Orphan Barrels. Its all old stock that Diageo bought from different distilleries. The ones above are all distilled by Bernheim. They recently came out with Entrapment which retails for $200 canadian and is old crown royal whiskey. I don't understand why companies sell this stuff to another company sometimes. How much is Diageo paying crown royal to buy this whiskey? Why not sell it themselves? How much did that inflate the price of the whiskey before it hits retail? 

I'd really like to try that wild turkey 17 year as I love the flavour profile of all their bourbon except for maybe the 80 proof. 

47 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

Strong opinion here...Trey Zoeller is a con man and every Jefferson’s release after the Presidential Select releases are marketing BS.

A lot of people in the know really hate Jeffersons haha

I think they basically source all their juice don't they?

A lot of people in the know really hate Jeffersons haha
I think they basically source all their juice don't they?
Apparently a lot of brands do that. Bulleit, Jefferson, michters aged stuff, orphan barrel, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Never had any if these but some of them sound interesting.
My favorite bourbon is Buffalo Trace. Is that even close to how good these are?
Buffalo Trace is basically the entry level of sipping bourbon. There's a lot of stuff out there that is way better, but you have to spend a lot more than what buffalo Trace costs to get to that level. The Elijah Craig barrel proof is probably the best value for quality whiskey on the shelf, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MooseAMuffin said:

Never had any if these but some of them sound interesting.

My favorite bourbon is Buffalo Trace. Is that even close to how good these are?

Buffalo Trace is my overall best bang for your buck. Great in a mint julep and great on the rocks. Around $25usd for a 750ml. My favorite all arounder is Makers Mark. A little more expensive these days but I always need to have a handle of it. As nessecary as having a gallon of milk in the fridge. 

• Like 1

Russell's Reserve single barrel is pretty good too, for the price point.
Has anyone tried the Blade and Bow, Stitzle Weller?
It's good, but I think for the price there are others I'd rather have. I am on the lookout for their 22 or 24 year, but that's super limited lol

1 minute ago, prodigy said:

It's good, but I think for the price there are others I'd rather have. I am on the lookout for their 22 or 24 year, but that's super limited lol

I'm just starting the journey, what are the others you would rater have?

I love Makers Mark, I agree its as essential as milk!

WLW BAC didn't make the list but is absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, very difficult to find & is marked up greatly on the secondary market like Stagg. The chase to find these rare bottles is somewhat like another form of hunting or fishing for that prized specimen.

William_Laure_Weller_1000x.jpg

I'm a scotch snob but a bourbon heathen. I love the nuances of a 21 year old speyside, but damn if I haven't found any bourbon I like more than Old Grand Dad 114. I liked Elijah Craig barrel proof, but once they dropped the age statement and the price the price crept up, it seemed crazy to buy one bottle when I could nearly get three bottles of Grand Dad for the same price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

I'm a scotch snob but a bourbon heathen. I love the nuances of a 21 year old speyside, but damn if I haven't found any bourbon I like more than Old Grand Dad 114. I liked Elijah Craig barrel proof, but once they dropped the age statement and the price the price crept up, it seemed crazy to buy one bottle when I could nearly get three bottles of Grand Dad for the same price.

Speaking very generally, the parts of the liquor that distillers have room to "play with" while still meeting legal definitions are much smaller for bourbon than for scotch, so an inexpensive bourbon is indeed likely to be much closer in composition (and, consequently, taste) to an expensive bourbon than comparably-priced scotches would be to each other. The ability to discern differences between bourbons is more a game of nuance. Meanwhile, scotches can vary from tasting like a coconut-covered marshmallow to an octopus and seaweed sandwich.

For the record, I'm a scotch snob, too, but as one, I (ironically) find little to better serve the education of my palate than bourbon, particularly because its taste spectrum is so much smaller.

I'm just starting the journey, what are the others you would rater have?
I love Makers Mark, I agree its as essential as milk!
Knob Creek single barrel, michters, knob Creek rye, Bowman single barrel, Woodford double oaked, four roses single barrel

Note in the pic of the Jefferson Ocean (on the bar shelf) that next to it is a bottle called Little Book. NB’s grandson created it. I would recommend trying it if you can find it. Very small release and likely only behind a bar somewhere. 

Also - I am not a fan of the Four Roses line, however the Four Roses Single Barrel is worth a buy IMO. Should not run more than $35-$45 USD.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, JackofSpeed said:

Just picked this up at retail for $35. The stuff never hits the shelf, helps to be friendly with sales guys

This is everything in bourbon hunting.  I managed to befriend a liquor store owner who enjoys cigars and regularly ply him with Cubans.  He now calls me when he gets anything interesting in.  In the past few months he has come through with George T. Stagg, Thomas Handy, Kentucky Owl, Blantons, E.H Taylor SiB SB,Rye, Blantons, numerous Weller Antique, 4 Roses store picks and others.  That said Weller 12 is not to be found, no matter how many bands are on the cigars I pass him.  

• Like 2

Note in the pic of the Jefferson Ocean (on the bar shelf) that next to it is a bottle called Little Book. NB’s grandson created it. I would recommend trying it if you can find it. Very small release and likely only behind a bar somewhere. 
Also - I am not a fan of the Four Roses line, however the Four Roses Single Barrel is worth a buy IMO. Should not run more than $35-$45 USD.
It was so good I went and bought another bottle. That one is under the bar. With the stagg jr, wild turkey revival, and some other good bourbons I don't want to open just yet.