Non alcoholic drinks to pair with cigars

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  I've been smoking cigars for 20 years. Some years cheapies, some years a bit more upscale.  Over the years, I've developed a repertoire of what drinks pair well with what kind of

San Pellegrino Limone e Menta is my new thing. It's really refreshing, carbonated, tart and sweet (perfectly balanced) and has a natural mint flavor.  In other words, it pretty much tastes like a virg

First of all thanks for all the suggestions.  Today I tried iced coffee and rooibos to great success. I'm preparing to try a RASS with the San Pellegrino Limone e Menta that @chris12381

21 hours ago, ponfed said:

Hey guys. 

I've been smoking cigars for 20 years. Some years cheapies, some years a bit more upscale. 

Over the years, I've developed a repertoire of what drinks pair well with what kind of cigars. Port, xeres, wine, whiskys of all sorts, rums... also premium fresh ground coffees

and plain water. 

Thing is, I'm now a recovering alcoholic. Creeping up on 1 year now. 

I'd say like 75% to 85% of my drink pairing experience is gone out the window. And to me, cigars are so much better with a complementary drink. 

Water is fine for a bunch of them, but some cigars lost that special taste, or aroma that was underline by this or that drink. 

In all your collected wisdom, what are your favorite non alcoholic pairings with what range of cigars. I'd be interested in what makes them stand out to you.

For example I found that licorice root herbal tea, especially if it's spiced with orange rind and cinnamon, really brings out the sweetness and fruitiness of some RYJ,

So stuff like that. Other people might discover things too!

Thanks!

BINGO!! That's ALL I drink with my cigars, and all I ever have - iced, organic honey sweetened herb teas. 

@ponfed good on ya. I’m in the same boat. 

I mix it up depending on my mood and whether the cigar responds better to a complimentary beverage or a cleansing one. Either way i tend to stay away from sugary stuff as it tends to ruin my palate. Here’s my list:

Black iced hazelnut coffee (the cheap stuff - i like the safeway brand)

Diet coke

Bigelow ‘sweet dreams’ tea - maybe with a little honey

Mint tea

Rooibos tea

and my #1 fave that ALWAYS works with EVERY cigar:

Canada dry DIET cranberry ginger ale

• Like 3

Full fat coke — I keep a few small cans of this on standby in case I get the nicotine sweats. Root beer and cream soda are good alternatives.

otherwise, honey milk tea in the majority of cases now.

Ive stopped pairing with coffee now, only because it masks the coffee element in cigars. Takes about 3-5 puffs for the coffee to come back after each swig.

I tried lemon spritzers and lemon black tea but somehow it really throws my palate out of whack.

Mineral or tap water occasionally , but I much prefer a milk tea when it’s available. 

You did say you’re not a fan of “fizzy” drinks so this may not work for you, but I’m a big fan of any La Croix or sparkling water with my cigars. It’s also how I’m (trying to) kick my soda habit.

P.s. this is a newb question but I assume when you all say “full fat coke” you just mean regular i.e. with sugar, not diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Right on brother, I am in recovery myself. I find cigars are my way to socialize and go out with the guys. Anyway my favorite is a coffee with a double shot of espresso xtra cream xtra sugar. I will also drink it black when I'm watching my figure. Recently I've been pairing with some organic cold pressed juices, which I've really enjoyed. I usually include water with the drink of my choice. Great post, cool to be able to relate with others. I will use some other suggestions I saw on here myself.

Be good to yourself,

Adam

• Like 3

My favorite and most often pairing is an Americano. Next would be San Pellegrino or cold black unsweetened tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on 1 year! Quite the accomplishment. The first is the hardest. I celebrated 15 last month.

Personally I like cold brew coffee with a little cream with the more medium bodies cigars. Black coffee or a good iced tea with the fuller bodied sticks. I lean towards club soda and lime or a ginger beer if refreshing is what I’m going for. 

• Like 2

First of all thanks for all the suggestions. 

Today I tried iced coffee and rooibos to great success. I'm preparing to try a RASS with the San Pellegrino Limone e Menta that @chris12381

So far so good! I'm even taking notes.

I also want to thank everyone for the kind words, congrats, winks and pats on the back. Both from those who are in the same boat and those who are not. 

Examples of people indulging in pleasure and togetherness without alcohol is something that helps me a lot. To tell you the truth, this topic and its answers made my day.

@El Presidente : That's quite the community you got there! Kudos! I can't believe I didn't participate sooner.

Now sorry for the sappiness, I'm trying a new thing which is not being cynical all the time. ?

• Like 4

Congrats on the one year!

I normally pair with a good strong earl grey tea but also find a good fruity cold brew coffee works well.

I do try creamy coffees but find that the sweetness masks a few flavours.

On 8/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, filltang said:

P.s. this is a newb question but I assume when you all say “full fat coke” you just mean regular i.e. with sugar, not diet?

Yep! Classic coke with a red can or label. 

Congrats on the 1 yr! I watch both parents struggle, so good on you.

Any coffee for me, and diet Pepsi. Not a fan of regular sodas, too sweet for me. I see by responses i'm going to have to try tea also

In addition to common pairings like coffee, water, iced tea, root beer etc, I also like a hot cup of Earl Grey with a cigar - it's underrated IMO.

That said, I've been broadening my horizons with non-alcoholic pairings too lately, and intend to try more sodas and some sparkling water stuff.

Really glad I stumbled upon this thread! I am in recovery as well ponfed, and have wondered the same think. Like yourself I found myself mainly stuck at good coffee or water (the later mainly to combat dry mouth on larger cigars rather than as a true pairing), so thank you for asking and thanks to everyone for the replies. I will have to try some root beer and tea for sure, a little skeptical about other sodas, but worth a shot. My brother in law's family is Cuban, and he makes some delicious Cuban coffee (espresso with frothed sugar) that I have been jonesing to try with a Montecristo, so I'll update if I get the chance!