Weight loss journey, surgery, and recovery

nice!!

I remember when I happily donated my first suit....size 50 (or maybe 52) if I recall.

it was my favourite suit, so it was tough to let go...I can only hope someone is enjoying it as much as I did.

down to suit size 46, but would love to get down to 42...I'm still "husky" framed, and likely even when I hit my target weight, I won't be into a 42...but maybe 44.

buying dress shirts from the "rack" is also a great feeling. Getting neck size under 18 was a huge accomplishment.

Enjoy the ride! :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, This post is about my weight loss journey and hopefully to encourage anyone considering (with a doctors strong reccomendation) the same journey I'm taking So I have been 'morbidly o

I know I'm bumping a long quiet thread but I wanted to add a status update. My current weight loss is around 70kg. I've steadied out at my current weight but I'm about to take my exercise up a notch w

I give anesthesia for many bariatric surgeries, and I can tell you first hand that the failure rate for the bands is very high, even when it is perfectly placed,  We rarely ever do lap bands anymore.

You are right. It's the hard work that'll do it. So far it has been all diet. 100%.

I need to start picking up the exercise.

The weight loss so far has been solely from calorie reduction. 

• Like 1

Buying new clothes after weight loss might be the best way to blow money, other than cigars or wine. I went from a size 52 suit to a 40. I was happy to give away a bunch of nice suits! 

• Like 1

I used to spend alot of money on nice suits. When I was dropping weight I’d buy the cheapies and I’d still look better than I did. Every once in a while I’ll see a heavy guy in a really nice suit and I want to go up and say to him “hey man, wanna look and feel REALLY good in a suit? Get in shape!” And I say that only because I’ve been there. I want everyone to experience that feeling. 

I used to spend alot of money on nice suits. When I was dropping weight I’d buy the cheapies and I’d still look better than I did. Every once in a while I’ll see a heavy guy in a really nice suit and I want to go up and say to him “hey man, wanna look and feel REALLY good in a suit? Get in shape!” And I say that only because I’ve been there. I want everyone to experience that feeling. 
You can lead a horse to water....

There are a growing movement of overweight people that seem to be happy and content being overweight.

You'll never lose weight until something clicks in your brain that says enough is enough.

I put this thread here to support myself and encourage others who want to lose weight also.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Weigh-in day again!!!

Loss: 1.5 kg / 3.3 pounds
Chest: -50mm / -2 inch
Waist: -25mm / -1 inch
BMI: -0.6

I had a chat to the dietitian yesterday and she said I should be happy with a 1kg loss. I would still like to see bigger numbers but if I can do 1kg / week then by the time November 2019 comes around I should have lost a good chunk of what I wanted to. 

19 minutes ago, Wertman said:

What about exercise what are you doing?

At this stage just walking around 4 km / 2.5 miles per day. I have arthritis in both knees (old industrial accident and being a lot overweight for years) so I find walking is the easiest exercise I can do. Once I lose more weight I'll try getting on a bike and going for longer rides. My plan once I lose enough and much closer to my goal weight is to see a PT I know. He's pretty hardcore and I think I'll need him to get the last few kilos off.

Dont forget you can buy a mountain bike and put road tyres on it so you get a bike that can do road and offroad if you like going on trails etc. Thats how I've got my bike configured. If your purely a road guy then buy the road bike.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mikeyjayjay said:

Ok so it's weigh in today. Things seem to be slowing down which is annoying me.

Loss: .5 kg / 1.1 pounds
Chest: 0mm / 0 inch
Waist: 0mm / 0 inch
BMI: -0

??????????????

Don't let it get you down.  There will be plateaus, you just need to recognize that and realize it will take a little more time to push through them.  Keep your head up and your eye on the prize.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Awesome update @mikeyjb.  Is the Israel walk a literal, or metaphorical goal?  Either way, tangible goals are key.  Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Wheezy

8 minutes ago, BTWheezy said:

Awesome update @mikeyjb.  Is the Israel walk a literal, or metaphorical goal?  Either way, tangible goals are key.  Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Wheezy

Hi @BTWheezy it's literal. The Israel National trail stretches from the southern most point of Israel at Eliat near the Sinai/Israel border up to Dan in the north near the Lebanon border. Depending on how fast you go you'll spend about 28 days in the Nagev desert and another 28-35 days in the northern part of Israel. The Nagev portion is the trickiest as you have to carry around 5-7L of water per day and anywhere up to 7 days of food at a time.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 12:02 AM, StogieSteve23 said:

Amazing story and congratulations on your success! 

On 5/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, Monterey said:

Well done!  Thanks for the update.  Glad it is going well.

Thank you :)

It's been a huge challenge and quite the learning curve. Only downside is I can't drink booze anymore :( No problems with the cigars though thankfully :)

Funny story about the booze. I was down at the F1 with dad and had a Mojito - after walking around the F1 all day I had quite the thirst. Anyway half way down the glass I looked up at dad and said I wasn't feeling well and a few minutes later was just about passed out in my salad. Turns out a side effect of the surgery is a wildly increased absorption of alcohol (which I didn't know!). Anyway dad carried me up to the room and dumped me on the bed and went back down to finish dinner. Worst. Hangover. Ever.

First and last time I have consumed alcohol since the surgery! I look at my collection of scotch and cry sometimes.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I was on the way to surgery as well because I had reached such a weight that I could no longer look in the mirror and every day this stress drove me crazy. But fortunately, I met a friend by chance at the grocery store and when I saw her I froze. She had lost almost 16 kg and obviously recommended her diet to me https://www.modernfit.com/programs/noom/the-only-noom-food-list-youll-ever-need/ because she understood how unhappy I was from the basket I was carrying full of low-fat products. In the final year, after a month of watching the program, I lost 5 kg, which was a very good result, because for a long time I couldn't lose even 500 grams.