Montecristo No. 2 2011 - Gran Reserva Cosecha 2005 Review

JohnS

Montecristo No. 2 2011 Gran Reserva Cosecha 2003 Siglo VI Review

Vitola: Piramides 52 ring gauge x 156 mm or 6.1 inches

1521955483_2018-06-1115_50_50.thumb.jpg.bef9013e2740f49e2abad34c9ae89e71.jpg

This Montecristo No.2 Gran Reserva Cosecha 2005 dates from 2011. I wish to thank Trevor Leask for gifting it to me to review. The original press release from Habanos S.A stated the following:-

The first Gran Reserva of Montecristo, a reference of flavor in the Habano.

Habanos s.a. presents the first Gran Reserva of Montecristo, manufactured in which probably is the most widely appreciated brand of Habanos*, in the Montecristo No. 2 vitola, the most emblematic of the brand.

With a limited production of 5000 numbered boxes of 15 units each, all the leaves have been aged for at least 5 years.

Since its origins in 1935, Montecristo has consolidated itself as one of the most widely recognized brands of Habanos among the most demanding smokers. Now, Habanos s.a. is pleased to present Montecristo, considered for many as the reference of flavor of the Habano, the first Gran Reserva of this brand.

This new Gran Reserva digs deeper into the unique character of Habanos as Protected Appellation of Origin. For the production of this Gran Reserva of Montecristo, the best tobacco leaves were selected from Vuelta Abajo, Cuba, harvested in 2005. All the leaves that make a Habano, filler, wrapper and binder, were aged during a long and careful process of at least 5 years.

These were no less than 5 years of care, control of the evolution of the aging of these precious leaves that, finally, in the master hands of the experienced Montecristo cigar rollers in the H. Upmann factory take shape to create a unique Habano to satisfy the pleasure of the most demanding smokers.

The emblematic Montecristo No. 2 vitola has been the one chosen for this unique production that makes the Gran Reserva of Montecristo.

The whole production process of the Gran Reserva respects the selection criteria expected of a unique product: from the long and careful aging process of at least 5 years of the best tobacco in Vuelta Abajo to the panel of tasters, who have supervised the selected blend to guarantee a unique, harmonious, and consistent flavor.

The Gran Reserva of Montecristo is a unique production, extremely reduced to 5000 numbered cases containing 15 units each.

So what was it like? Well, firstly, it's not like your typical Montecristo No.2. This was more viscous, both in smoke and mouthfeel on the palate. Your standard Montecristo flavours of cocoa. coffee, nut and cream were replaced by chocolate, leather, molasses and nut, together with espresso and cream.  El Pres has described the sweet nut in this as ginger nut, and I believe that is an apt description for the flavour that dominates the spine of this cigar.

It's a quality cigar, but it's not like the standard Montecristo No.2, so don't expect that when smoking it, unlike the Cohiba Gran Reserva Cosecha 2003 Siglo VI, which was more like a standard Cohiba Siglo VI in its flavour profile, in my opinion.

Below are some forum threads for your reference and Rob and Ken's Video Review from December 2012...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NYMets01 said:

You mention this isn’t a typical monte flavor profile. Would you consider it more similar perhaps to the newer monte 1935s?

I'll let you know when I source the Montecristo 1935 linea cigars (hopefully soon!).

• 1 month later...