Min

Pairing IPA and Cigars?

What is your take on pairing a strong hoppy IPA beer with your cigars?  I find that the bitterness of an IPA brings out the sweetness of any cigars that I have smoked.  Usually sweet drinks don't bring out sweet notes in a cigar for my taste... perhaps my palate is weird.. 

If I'm drinking beer with a cigar, it's always an IPA. I find that the beer almost refreshes the palate and brings out more flavors in the cigar. Usually if I have an IPA with a cigar, I also have a barrel proof bourbon as well. It's a fantastic combination, but can quickly lead to being quite intoxicated haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Min said:

I find that the bitterness of an IPA brings out the sweetness of any cigars that I have smoked.

Totally agree. I just did a pairing with an IPA and Cohiba Secretos where I noticed the exact same thing.  Also really made the cocoa flavor more pronounced.

I was smoking my favorite Cuban (Monte PE) yesterday with Starbucks cold Mocha Frappuccino and the cigar was smoking bitter in the 1/3, so I took out Sierrea Nevada IPA Torpedo from the fridge instead  and amazingly the cigar turned from bitter to sweet and creamy instantly. 

Not a fan - but I'm also not a fan of over hopped beers. I just don't enjoy anything bitter or astringent with cigars.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Not a fan - but I'm also not a fan of over hopped beers. I just don't enjoy anything bitter or astringent with cigars.

Agreed. Bitter and cigars are not a pairing I enjoy either.

That said there are some mellow IPAs locally that are not nearly as hoppy and bitter as others and they do refresh nicely. I still much prefer a glass of scotch, bourbon, rum or a red/dark beer

I love Dark imperial stouts such as Bourbon county and KBS etc but haven't had a lot of success pairing with them with cigars.  I couldn't believe it when a Padron 64 maduro became bitter while pairing with bourbon county stout

I generally prefer a pilsner or lager with a cigar...i used to drink a fair amount of pliny the elder paired with padrons or tatuajes...but since going 100% CC  few years back i find IPAs to be too overpowering...both on the palate and sobriety...still enjoy them with a steak or on their own.

Love it, I used to typically pair with Bourboun but I’m either at an equal split or trending more towards IPA’s lately. There is a review competition going on with pairing, check it out:

Bitterness, tannins, and other dominant flavors numbs the palate and masks any subtle flavors present. The same goes for very hot/spicy food

I haven't had much luck with IPA pairings as I buy some hoppy, hoppy stuff and it just drowns out all the nuances. Much prefer a dry rum.

I agree that bitterness of IPA may drown out nuances in a cigar but it does make the cigar taste much sweeter imho

I would usually only drink an IPA with a cigar if it wasn't too hoppy and bitter or was more evenly balanced like the Kona Hanelei Island IPA.

You have taste buds of steel if you can pair an IPA with a cigar. Completely ruins the experience for me. Prefer Pilsners, but mainly just stick to scotch or bourbon.

• Like 1

I usually stick to scotch or Bourban.   But I will have to try an IPA next time.   I would think something like a IPA with tropical hops would work better.   I have been really loving Sierra Nevadas Hazy Little Thing IPA.

I don't see how a scotch or bourbon could be less likely to impair the pallet than an IPA. Maybe I'm just weird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you take a bite of some sweet candy bar and then take a bite of some sweet mango the mango won't taste as sweet as the candy bar. I think the same logic applies to cigar pairings..the bitterness of a drink such as ipa or dark roasted black coffee does bring out the sweetness in a cigar