Video Review - El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme

Ferrero

So ok...

Who else had to physically restrain themselves from immediately buying a box?

I had soured on it after a few bad ones, but this review made me taste the great ones I had all over again...

I wonder how inventory fluctuates after reviews like these. Like someone at Logistics going "Whew, I guess the boss made a video, cause we're almost out of Choix Supreme!"

1 minute ago, mtd057 said:

LOL, loved the review and went to have a look at getting a box.  Out of stock!!  

When do you expect to have more in?

They are coming in sporadically.  Next shipment hopefully next week. Will have more then or by the end of Sept (worse case). 

Just had to try one from my box after such a good review. It was SGA MAR 17 bought from yourselves a year ago. Lovely cigar but very different profile-mine was a great mix of roasted tobacco, roasted coffee and spice. If I was blindfolded with electrodes on my nipples I'd still swear it was a Partagas D4. 

I tried one last week from my box from you guys I got earlier in the year SUM ABR 17, quite sharp and only light hints of toasted almonds.  Was actually a little disappointed as my friend said these were amazing so was expecting a better smoke.  I'll try another one in a month or so and see if it improves.

15 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

I tried one last week from my box from you guys I got earlier in the year SUM ABR 17, quite sharp and only light hints of toasted almonds.  Was actually a little disappointed as my friend said these were amazing so was expecting a better smoke.  I'll try another one in a month or so and see if it improves.

let us know how you go. 

The one Ken and I had was stored at 63 RH for close on a month. Try to replicate that (or close to it) if you can.  When it comes to CX, the higher the moisture content the grassier the profile, the lower the nuttier. Give it a crack. 

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

let us know how you go. 

The one Ken and I had was stored at 63 RH for close on a month. Try to replicate that (or close to it) if you can.  When it comes to CX, the higher the moisture content the grassier the profile, the lower the nuttier. Give it a crack. 

Thanks for the advice, I'm storing them at 65%, I'll have to get some 62% boveda's and try to dry box some to see the difference as I really prefer the nuttier profile.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:46 AM, El Presidente said:

let us know how you go. 

This is interesting. 

I thought the general rule is to keep humidity at 69/70 and never thought about changing it up to effect different flavours. 

I have a good spluttering of montes, cohibas, romeos, partargas, and hoyos. In your experience, what humidity level would you recommend storing them at? (I would generally prefer creamier/nutty/chocolate/fruity flavour profiles). 

Thanks Pres!

5 hours ago, nlnguyen said:

This is interesting. 

I thought the general rule is to keep humidity at 69/70 and never thought about changing it up to effect different flavours. 

I have a good spluttering of montes, cohibas, romeos, partargas, and hoyos. In your experience, what humidity level would you recommend storing them at? (I would generally prefer creamier/nutty/chocolate/fruity flavour profiles). 

Thanks Pres!

Others can probably give you specific links, 70% is basically the absolute upper limit of RH for storing cigars.

NC tend to withstand this high RH, meaning that they will mostly smoke fine.

Cubans, however, smoke horribly at 70%. It makes them harsh and bitter, might burn unevenly and even go out easily.

I would even say, having gone through the same thing back when I started, that there is a good chance that you never really tasted what Cubans had to offer until you get down to at least 65.

Just my opinion obviously.

• Like 1

This is interesting. 
Thanks Pres!

I’d be surprised if you would find ten CC only smokers on this forum that stores over 65%.

You all can feel free to flame me, but the choix supreme is by far the worst, most bland tasteless Cuban cigar I have ever smoked. I have a box of 2010's from our host. They are just too light bodied, they have me double and triple puffing them to try to get any flavors. And they have not improved worth a lick over the 8 years. I just give them away in sampler packs to newbies now. PSD4, RASS, BRC, FAMOSOS, are just light years better. I guess taste is very subjective!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, NYgarman said:

You all can feel free to flame me, but the choix supreme is by far the worst, most bland tasteless Cuban cigar I have ever smoked. I have a box of 2010's from our host. They are just too light bodied, they have me double and triple puffing them to try to get any flavors. And they have not improved worth a lick over the 8 years. I just give them away in sampler packs to newbies now. PSD4, RASS, BRC, FAMOSOS, are just light years better. I guess taste is very subjective!

I think I had broken a rule, deleted post. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:14 PM, NYgarman said:

I'm with you on this. My old man loves them but I think they are tasteless.

• 2 weeks later...

The El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme, like most Cuban cigars, will be different from month to month and box to box. I’ve had boxes that were as good as a perfect Siglo IV and others that were not so good. I still keep a few boxes in my collection though and have never had a terrible one yet.