Home brewing

Stump89

I've been trying my hand at home brewing for about a year and have had some pretty good results. My girlfriend and I have made some darn good IPAs and blonde ales. Just curious to know if anyone else out there has tried and what your results have been.  I'm always on the lookout for new ideas and flavors and ingredients.

• Like 1

I just started homebrewing this year! Have had some success with Hefeweizen, just finished 5 gallons of a american wheat beer we made with rolled oat and munich light malt. Tried my hand at a pliny clone, was good but had a very soapy taste due to over dry hopping. Mellowed out after a week in the keg but didn't last long after that! Upcomming will be another hefe with some fresh apricot  we picked up, followed by a milk stout with honey and figs!! Happy brewing! Pic of my "american bastard wheat"

IMG_20180731_220736_891.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah! Just down the street from our house there is a fig tree that produces some sweet green figs, I've harvested some this year and am looking forward to trying this recipe. I'll post once I finalize and work out the details for the water profile and grainbill!

On 8/21/2018 at 12:51 AM, Dineffects said:

Yeah! Just down the street from our house there is a fig tree that produces some sweet green figs, I've harvested some this year and am looking forward to trying this recipe. I'll post once I finalize and work out the details for the water profile and grainbill!

Looking forward to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Brewed a sound sommerweizen  clone this weekend, pitched my wyeast 3068 and have a super active fermentation going on less than 10h after. Simple grainbill.

6lbs belg. Pils

6lbs red wheat.

110/122/152 step mash

75m boil with 1 oz fwh of tettnanger.

10m .5oz addition of tet.

10m hop stand after flame out of .5oz tet.

2 weeks I'll post the finished product. Should be good

• 3 weeks later...

I've been home brewing for a while just the ready made kits for larger. I.e malt, yeast, sugar and water. Had a great experience.

Sadly I'm in a one bedroom apartment in the centre of London so struggle to make the room for more experimenting. Hopefully going to get a bigger place soon so will start to experiment more. 

My friends have a place in the country and grow their own grapes (in a green house) and apples and make have made some incredible wine and cider..... wish I could give it a go..... 

• 2 months later...

I've been homebrewing as a hobby (on & off) for about 15 years.  Just last year started brewing with all grain, (instead of malt extracts).  I've also converted a spare refrigerator into a "controlled fermentation chamber" that I can control the fermentation temperatures with a Johnson controller.  This has allowed me to be able ferment lager yeasts at an optimal temperature.  The latest beer that i made a couple of months ago, is an Oktoberfest beer.  It turned out great, so I made a second batch to have available for the holidays.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 5:32 PM, Stump89 said:

My girlfriend's recipe. Salted caramel vanilla blonde ale. Sea salt and caramel in the boil, fermented on fresh vanilla beans.  She nailed this one for sure.

15350706617832492184367300852789.jpg

This sounds like an excellent recipe!  It's one of the things that I love about homebrewing - is that you can be as creative as you like!

8 hours ago, leafdream54 said:

I've been homebrewing as a hobby (on & off) for about 15 years.  Just last year started brewing with all grain, (instead of malt extracts).  I've also converted a spare refrigerator into a "controlled fermentation chamber" that I can control the fermentation temperatures with a Johnson controller.  This has allowed me to be able ferment lager yeasts at an optimal temperature.  The latest beer that i made a couple of months ago, is an Oktoberfest beer.  It turned out great, so I made a second batch to have available for the holidays.

20181206_213031_resized.thumb.jpg.c95d1fc4b13a92604ce92023ed61f13e.jpg

Oktoberfest beer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...