Thoughts on large format Scotch purchase

Cayman17

I’ve been quietly grabbing a bottle here and a bottle there of 12 - 18 year old Scotch before it all disappears. The state monopoly liquor stores here have Macallan 12 on sale for $117 for a 1.75 liter bottle.  I have never bought a large format bottle before. Anyone have any thoughts on why it is a good or bad idea? 

The sale price is decent but not that great. I am tempted to pass, just wondered what others would do in this scenario.   They still have 750 ml bottles available, but not at the discounted rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not aware of anything good or bad with the large format in Scotch. Maybe just a way to get a larger quantity for a discount?  Or a nice presentation for a wedding/party? 

It could be poured it into smaller bottles for storage if you are concerned about an open bottle staying open longer and any oxidation that might occur.  I don’t think oxidation is a concern though.

I would pass, only because the last couple times I’ve had their 12, it had more notes of raisin/sultan than I prefer, and there are other scotches I’m interested in.

Confusingly, I’ve also had Macallan 12 on occasion where they were great/memorable drams. The variability could have been my palate on those particular days, and had nothing to do with the product.

I’d definitely try it again, and if you enjoy Macallan 12, or regularly purchase it anyway, I don’t see any reason to pass.

• Thanks 1

Depends how fast you'll finish it.  Some of the initial freshness of a new bottle will disappear over time, but nothing to be too concerned on.  Large formats are great if you are pouring them into a decanter.

• Thanks 1

oxidation is a valid concern.

for that reason,pour into smaller bottles.

unless you drink it often or in large amounts.

then,falling down is the concern.

just do not be holding the 1.75 bottle.

it could break.

then,falling face first onto alcohol and broken glass would be the concern.

however,I am not concerned............

• Haha 1

I would only worry about it if you open it and take a long time to drink it.  A really long time.  I have opened bottles, both large and small, that were opened years ago that are still drinking very well. Keep it out of direct sunlight and try to avoid temp fluctuations.  Think about how many bars have opened bottles of very epensive liquor that dont get consumed for years.   

• Thanks 1