After 36 years, I found my father

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to share a deeply personal but incredibly exciting story that has been unraveling for the last month.  I can’t tell you how Habanos I have smoked while these events have played out.  Two or t

I just met my first newfound sibling, Bethany, who is my oldest sister.  I drove a couple hours to a state park that her, her husband, and their four boys were camping in.  I brought my wife and daugh

A little bit of an update to this story ... last weekend I flew from Dallas to Seattle to meet my father in person for the first time.  We’ve spoken two or three times a week since finding him, but se

That is an awesome story 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The results(well,I got them 3 weeks ago)are in and what a shock.Despite the fact that my biological father belonged to the "Bad Boy Club,namely the SS)" there is no German in my DNA.According to that I'm to almost 40% Scandinavian,almost 23% Italian(that could explain the rotten temper I used to have),almost 13% Eastern European,almost 13% Irish,Scottish and Welsh and 12 1/2% Baltic.What a combination.No close relative in there but close to 2000 3rd to 5th cousins.Almost 1000 live in the U.S.A and the rest all over the world.Oh well that how it goes, I'm a mutt and I have had no saying over what I want to be

2 hours ago, Squarehead said:

Despite the fact that my biological father belonged to the "Bad Boy Club,namely the SS)" there is no German in my DNA.According to that I'm to almost 40% Scandinavian,almost 23% Italian(that could explain the rotten temper I used to have),almost 13% Eastern European,almost 13% Irish,Scottish and Welsh and 12 1/2% Baltic.

During WWII, the waffen ss included non-German conscripts and volunteers from mainly occupied countries. Many volunteers joined (in part) to fight against the Russians.

37 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

During WWII, the waffen ss included non-German conscripts and volunteers from mainly occupied countries. Many volunteers joined (in part) to fight against the Russians.

The Allies declared the Waffen-SS to be a criminal organization, but specifically exempted conscripted soldiers and the Baltic Waffen-SS from this stigma. In fact, a lot of the Latvians were allowed to move to the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of an update to this story ... last weekend I flew from Dallas to Seattle to meet my father in person for the first time.  We’ve spoken two or three times a week since finding him, but seeing him in person was a whole new bunch of emotions!  We look and sound exactly alike, and have the same laugh among other mannerisms.  I also met two of my five siblings, both younger sisters.  One of my sisters had a five-year-old daughter who really connected with me immediately as you can tell from the pictures.  It was an incredible weekend ... one of the best in my life.

67C62D1F-5CDD-4C90-B82E-3E0B6952C967.jpeg

7E91392A-18B5-49B1-AA18-24F3529396C6.jpeg

37AEF95E-8678-46E5-9B83-325394D0B46C.jpeg

E57EA16F-F3FC-48F6-8F8D-9798A44E95EC.jpeg

BB852841-8092-4614-9914-A271930EA358.jpeg

2FCEEC61-360E-4A44-BCC9-C54C9019CEE1.jpeg

F4C8A680-935E-470C-9D00-043388482D38.jpeg

8E40AD18-5C3A-4A07-9B1D-784BAF4C32F7.jpeg

• Like 4