What's your #1 top-shelf gin?

Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin for mine. Finally available in Australia. Not sure when it lobbed, but noticed it in Dan Murphy's the other day and immediately grabbed a bottle. First tried it in Ballinamore in Ireland, last year. When you find yourself in Ballinamore you really need to take something positive away (Leitrim Co. is far from the jewel in the crown of Ireland), and this wonderful drop was it. Has now ousted Prohibition Bathtub Cut Gin as my fave. 

Warmer weather is on the way here. Bring on the sippers, bring on the tall (and extra tall) G&T's!IMG_7195.JPG

• Like 3

4d1a1cee3e3245c1998d86d6dd996ed3.jpg
For a traditional gin and tonic I really enjoy deaths door out of Wisconsin, USA. Here in the states it’s difficult to find at times so I always pick up a bottle or two whenever I see it. I have been looking for a few years now to get Napue gin out of Finland as my family from Finland said it is amongst their favorites and I am very interested in giving it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Nick.Skayuna said:

4d1a1cee3e3245c1998d86d6dd996ed3.jpg
For a traditional gin and tonic I really enjoy deaths door out of Wisconsin, USA. Here in the states it’s difficult to find at times so I always pick up a bottle or two whenever I see it. I have been looking for a few years now to get Napue gin out of Finland as my family from Finland said it is amongst their favorites and I am very interested in giving it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that brand name! And it looks like you've got a nice collection going, too. : )

Just out of interest, what's a bottle of Death's Door worth? 

• Like 1

Love that brand name! And it looks like you've got a nice collection going, too. : )
Just out of interest, what's a bottle of Death's Door worth? 

Depending on which store I’m at between 35 and 45 for a 750 ml, not “top shelf” price per se but still one of my favorites which is what matters in the long run. If it’s 35 I’m buying a few bottles. And regarding the collection thank you. I try to buy a new bottle every time I go to visit friends.
  • Like 1

For me it was Hendrick's for years, from about 2000. I don't drink much gin these days but my top three now would be

Monkey 47

Hendricks

Drumshanbo Gunpowder.

Monkey 47 has an extraordinary "freshness" to it. If only it wasn't so pricey here (generally 60 euro for 500ml)

Drumshanbo is a very decent local effort. Great packaging and marketing.

Decent tonic makes a big difference and should be included in the discussion. There's a new Irish tonic out "Poacher's Well", that's very good. Hard to find, even in Ireland.

• Like 1

So, let me ask this group a question.

I'm a big scotch and bourbon drinker (among other spirits), but was never able to get into gin.

I'm not sure I ever really tried to sample many different makes to compare but do higher end gins typically have slightly different profiles?

Is it worth trying to setup some sort of flight to compare and maybe find one that I like?

1 hour ago, NYMets01 said:

I'm a big scotch and bourbon drinker (among other spirits), but was never able to get into gin.

I'm not sure I ever really tried to sample many different makes to compare but do higher end gins typically have slightly different profiles?

Is it worth trying to setup some sort of flight to compare and maybe find one that I like?

Gins can have a wide array of different flavor profiles.   Depends on what they’re infused with. I really like a junipery (that a word??) profile, but will try almost anything.    Get some and give em a go.  The St George gin has several different flavor profiles you can try to see just how different gin can be even from the same maker. 

3 hours ago, NYMets01 said:

Sounds like you and I are a lot alike.  I do not like juniper heavy gins -- which I think initially turned me off of gin because that is what I tried from the start.  Try a couple of Old Tom Gins -- I've found those a little more to my liking.  Ransom is a good one.

1 hour ago, inter4alia said:

Sounds like you and I are a lot alike.  I do not like juniper heavy gins -- which I think initially turned me off of gin because that is what I tried from the start.  Try a couple of Old Tom Gins -- I've found those a little more to my liking.  Ransom is a good one.

I was similar, I didn't like a lot of Gins historically, but have settled on bourbons and scotch's that I liked.  Had a hell of a gin and tonic with Hendricks and hell of a Tom Collins with Ransom Old Tom.  Evidently Old Tom is what is supposed to be used for G&T's I've since learned, and it doesn't taste (to me) like licking a christmas tree, so I enjoyed it.