What's your #1 top-shelf gin?

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

For me it was Hendrick's for years, from about 2000. I don't drink much gin these days but my top three now would be

Monkey 47

Hendricks

Drumshanbo Gunpowder.

Monkey 47 has an extraordinary "freshness" to it. If only it wasn't so pricey here (generally 60 euro for 500ml)

Drumshanbo is a very decent local effort. Great packaging and marketing.

Decent tonic makes a big difference and should be included in the discussion. There's a new Irish tonic out "Poacher's Well", that's very good. Hard to find, even in Ireland.

I agree about Monkey 47, its good but really expensive.   $40 for a 375ml bottle! 

For me, it was always Hendrick’s for G&T and Bombay Saphire for Greyhounds. But I recently had someone gift me a locally made gin from Watershed Distillery in OH and I really enjoy the coriander forward flavor in the G&T. Just don’t try their bourbon, it is foul stuff!

08897A8C-318A-4BE2-B33C-BE40D6CBF221.thumb.jpeg.909ce2739a72ee5bfcd06c03400323b9.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Drumshanbo is a very decent local effort. Great packaging and marketing.

Decent tonic makes a big difference and should be included in the discussion. There's a new Irish tonic out "Poacher's Well", that's very good. Hard to find, even in Ireland.

Agree on the packaging 100%. And the tonic. Covent Garden, the gin place here in West End, pairs specific tonics to each gin. I'm usually nowhere close to that fussy, but the ones I've had at this joint I've noticed a marked difference--in a good way. Important factor. 

Drank a lot of Monkey 47 when I was working in the UK (more expensive stateside). When I was living in NYC I absolutely drained 4 Pillars Bloody Shiraz gin (only ~$40 bucks a bottle) but now that I'm back in Chicago and can't find 4 Pillars, I tend to stick with Sipsmith.

Timely thread for me as i just recently decided to become a martini expert :P

never had one before 3 days ago...

ive had 10 now  :D

started with good ol beefeater.  Not sure any vermouth makes them tastier..  ive graduated to just pouring ice cold gin into ice cold glass and calling it a night 

anyways...   ive enjoyed Hendricks before....