Havana Guide

BudBud

I went to Havana on 8/20 via a Royal Caribbean cruise and we hired Pavel Montero Fita as our guide. Havana Mike recommended him. He was great and this was a family trip so I was not able to go everywhere I wanted cigar wise. Pavel’s English was good but he had a few issues with American slang and he had a translator on his phone that helped. I think we taught him as much English as he did us spanish. My wife, son and I couldn’t have had a better guide. We talked for months and made plans that suited my family and he could have a driving plan when we arrived. He was on time and along with everywhere we wanted to go, he took us to other places that were great. We had to meet the OFAC regulations and he helped us meet and talk to people per the requirements. After that he helped negotiate prices for items for my wife and son when they shopped. Unfortunately there was no negotiations on cigars. He has a 53 Belair in great shape with A/C. He is leaving Cuba at the end of September to go to Brazil. He told us we could recommend him up until that time and then he plans on giving the car to his father to do some tours, so you could try working an arrangement with his father. The price he charged was great. We also paid for his meal and drinks throughout the day, tipped him 40 cuc and I brought him parts for his car from America that he was unable to get. Based on excursions the cruise lines offer we did everything they would have done plus so much more for half the cost. After talking to other people they were extremely disappointed with the excursions the cruise takes you on. Personally going by boat and having a private tour with my family, it was outstanding! One thing we learned is most government and a lot of businesses are closed on Monday’s so we were unable to tour some of the sites, Museums etc. I was able to get a few boxes of sticks I wanted along with some rum and coffee. One of our earlier stops was Hotel Nacional and I purchased 2 large ashtrays. The hotel packaged them in boxes for me and I backpacked them the rest of the day which sucked. From what I have read I think rules change day to day. Romeo and Juliet’s, Partagus and another shop would not sell cigars unless they were in the front display case. The 2 other shops were great. Hotel Nacional at first stated I could only buy 1 ashtray but after the employee talked to my wife and she bought some books he agreed to sell 2 of them and even took a half hour to box them up for me, a big thanks to my wife. Pavel has 2 Air B&B’s in Havana he plans on keeping if your interested in using. You can reach him at 05 2432151 or [email protected] if you have any questions pm me. And a big thanks to everyone on this forum for their post and information. It helped me a lot in planning a 12 hour trip. cc48cff8d1427426018457c918efa998.jpg7517a3ad4d91594ff5fc68890c76c0ce.jpg 85f6837389d92221315a675e99a25e36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BudBud said:

I went to Havana on 8/20 via a Royal Caribbean cruise and we hired Pavel Montero Fita as our guide. Havana Mike recommended him. He was great and this was a family trip so I was not able to go everywhere I wanted cigar wise. Pavel’s English was good but he had a few issues with American slang and he had a translator on his phone that helped. I think we taught him as much English as he did us spanish. My wife, son and I couldn’t have had a better guide. We talked for months and made plans that suited my family and he could have a driving plan when we arrived. He was on time and along with everywhere we wanted to go, he took us to other places that were great. We had to meet the OFAC regulations and he helped us meet and talk to people per the requirements. After that he helped negotiate prices for items for my wife and son when they shopped. Unfortunately there was no negotiations on cigars. He has a 53 Belair in great shape with A/C. He is leaving Cuba at the end of September to go to Brazil. He told us we could recommend him up until that time and then he plans on giving the car to his father to do some tours, so you could try working an arrangement with his father. The price he charged was great. We also paid for his meal and drinks throughout the day, tipped him 40 cuc and I brought him parts for his car from America that he was unable to get. Based on excursions the cruise lines offer we did everything they would have done plus so much more for half the cost. After talking to other people they were extremely disappointed with the excursions the cruise takes you on. Personally going by boat and having a private tour with my family, it was outstanding! One thing we learned is most government and a lot of businesses are closed on Monday’s so we were unable to tour some of the sites, Museums etc. I was able to get a few boxes of sticks I wanted along with some rum and coffee. One of our earlier stops was Hotel Nacional and I purchased 2 large ashtrays. The hotel packaged them in boxes for me and I backpacked them the rest of the day which sucked. From what I have read I think rules change day to day. Romeo and Juliet’s, Partagus and another shop would not sell cigars unless they were in the front display case. The 2 other shops were great. Hotel Nacional at first stated I could only buy 1 ashtray but after the employee talked to my wife and she bought some books he agreed to sell 2 of them and even took a half hour to box them up for me, a big thanks to my wife. Pavel has 2 Air B&B’s in Havana he plans on keeping if your interested in using. You can reach him at 05 2432151 or [email protected] if you have any questions pm me. And a big thanks to everyone on this forum for their post and information. It helped me a lot in planning a 12 hour trip. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you can talk to him advise him that this is not a good moment to go to Brazil unless he already has solid plans.

• Like 1