Buying rum in Havana

bmf30180

In the forum's opinion, is it better to by rum while in town, or wait and buy in the airport after going through security?

I ask because I realize I'll have to put any rum in my checked bags if I buy in town.  That leads to concerns about the weight of the bag and breakage (I hope to have an ashtray or 2 packed in there as well).

If I buy in the airport, I can carry it on in my carryon bag.  At least that is my thought process.  Any concerns with my logic?

6 minutes ago, mtapia3 said:

From my experiences, the rum selection at the airport is hit or miss (Just like everything else in Cuba). If you’re planning on buying a special bottle, don’t anticipate finding it at the airport. Buy it as soon as you see it in town. Just wrap it up with a few layers of clothes and that should keep it safe from breakage.

If you’re just planning on buying some regular production Havana Club then the airport may be your better option. 

I'll secure a couple of nicer bottles for myself to pack in my checked bag.  Was more concerned about those sovunier bottles to pass out when I return. 

For those who are in the Cuban rum game this might be interesting.

Since the begining of the year Santiago del Cuba were hard to find in Cuba. I could check that last June. I let to buy a bottle of aged Santiago in the airport but there was just Santiago carta blanca (3 years). As it wasn't a big issue I didn't buy anything (there were all Club Havana).

Some weeks ago I received the info that Santiago del Cuba is about to begin being imported to  Brazil. And then someone told me that they should be already on the shelves but (and now the interesting part) no Santiago del Cuba rum was being produced in Cuba because the bottles are produced in Mexico and because of some USA/MEXICO/CUBA/TRUMP shit Mexico wasn't allowed to export bottles to Cuba anymore.

The result of all this is that the bottles now are produced in another country (can't remember which one) and we will see a little difference in the "new" bottles, something in the neck of the bottle. 

The most important is that the liquid is the same but there are rumors that Santiago 11 years will be discontinued (people say 11 is better 12).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other issue with carry on rum (in some airports, at least) is it will slow you down going through security, which can be a consideration depending on how tight your connecting flight is. Security may open the bag to inspect the receipt and weigh the rum to assess its specific gravity and authenticity, before taping it all up slowwwly and professionally. One more hassle you avoid by packing it. And if the receipt is NOT sealed inside the bag, it gets even better!

25 minutes ago, puromaniac said:

The other issue with carry on rum (in some airports, at least) is it will slow you down going through security, which can be a consideration depending on how tight your connecting flight is. Security may open the bag to inspect the receipt and weigh the rum to assess its specific gravity and authenticity, before taping it all up slowwwly and professionally. One more hassle you avoid by packing it. And if the receipt is NOT sealed inside the bag, it gets even better!

Fortunately, flying home to Atlanta non-stop.

I used wine skin packages last time in Cuba. Buy them on amazon. Worked perfectly. Throw them in the checked luggage. Brought back 13 bottles. I bought at the airport but the cashier didn’t include the recipes in the bag and had to cram those last 3 bottles into my checked bags once back in the states. 

20 hours ago, nickg999 said:

I used wine skin packages last time in Cuba. Buy them on amazon. Worked perfectly. Throw them in the checked luggage. Brought back 13 bottles. I bought at the airport but the cashier didn’t include the recipes in the bag and had to cram those last 3 bottles into my checked bags once back in the states. 

Those are on my radar.  

I'm trying to convince my non-smoking, non-drinking brother to join us.  Between him and my non-smoking dad, I'll have plenty of strong backs to split the load. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bmf30180 said:

Those are on my radar.  

I'm trying to convince my non-smoking, non-drinking brother to join us.  Between him and my non-smoking dad, I'll have plenty of strong backs to split the load. 

Do you hire them out? lol.  My plans have been all over the place, but I think I've settled on a solo flight in Nov.  The rum wants are much more simple than the cigar wants, but current plan is to just carry two back from the airport (provided they have what I want there)