Why are most non-CC cigars terrible?

I realize this question may make me come off as an uptight ahole. For that, I both apologize and will say it’s not my intention. I’ve only tried about 3 CCs so far, so my sample base isn’t large enough. I can only say I love what I’m experiencing. 

But I’ve tried easily over 50-75 of the non CCs here in the states. You walk in to a big cigar shop or get a nice 92+ rated sampler. I either have a really bizarre preference or the majority of this stuff is just terrible. 

Am I alone in this? I will say I have about 5 non-CCs that I like. But wow the number of forgettable trash is monumental. The scary part is that some of them are bragged about like they are “CC quality.”  

Both variants are excellent and both variants can be terrible. With Cuban cigars, there are the major marcas and that's it; we're aware of what is bad because we can name them so we stay away. With non-Cuban cigars, or 'Free World' cigars, there are THOUSANDS of cigar marcas because the government does not regulate when a new brand can start up, so it's much harder to name the known-to-be bad ones. However, I will say, for the good non-Cuban cigars, quality consistency is insanely higher than the consistency that comes out of HSA. When a good Cuban is good, it's great; however, there are equal parts terrible Monte 2's as there are amazing Monte 2's. When it comes to quality non-Cubans like Davidoff, Padron, Opus etc., you know you're getting quality every time and no dice are rolled.

Rolling the dice is half the fun for me, so I typically go with Cuban cigars, but when I want a guarantee I'll pick a non-Cuban 8 days a week.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RyviaUSA said:

I realize this question may make me come off as an uptight ahole. For that, I both apologize and will say it’s not my intention. I’ve only tried about 3 CCs so far, so my sample base isn’t large enough. I can only say I love what I’m experiencing. 

But I’ve tried easily over 50-75 of the non CCs here in the states. You walk in to a big cigar shop or get a nice 92+ rated sampler. I either have a really bizarre preference or the majority of this stuff is just terrible. 

Am I alone in this? I will say I have about 5 non-CCs that I like. But wow the number of forgettable trash is monumental. The scary part is that some of them are bragged about like they are “CC quality.”  

Most NC's are made utilize tobacco from 3 major countries. Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Honduras. Of course there are also puros that may come from one of these countries, but many NC's are just redundant, there are way too many brands and sizes to choose from and some just are very one dimensional and leave the taste of ash in your mouth. Of course, any cigar shop in the US is going to hype up what they sell. They are in business to make $$, and if you the customer are buying boxes of CC's off the net the cigar store gets none of your $$. They will also say the same about Cuban; they are all made from the same tobacco, all taste the same regardless of the band, and quality and consistency are sub par. 

• Like 1

Gonna throw this out there and they'll probably be sold out before my wife can get me a box, but for our US brethren: https://www.neptunecigar.com/cigars/crowned-heads-le-careme-belicosos-finos-le-2018

15% off until midnight on Monday, only made 1500 boxes of 12 and can confirm it is a stellar cigar, even better when you're paying $7.65 per cigar.

I don't dislike NC.  They were, early on, my usual smoke.  Now many years later, I find them to be too strong and in general I don't care for the flavor.  Some are dog rockets, crap just like some Cubans don't blow my skirt up.  There are times that I envy those that can appreciate both.  Those folks have a broader palate than I do.

I would never fault someone that likes both or that likes only NC.  It is all about what the individual likes.  After all, it is really all about you and your likes.  Nobody can tell you what you like or dislike.  That is what I love about cigars.  It is a personal journey.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

As posted by MIN, there are hundreds if not thousands of non-CC out there you might of run into some bad ones.  I can also tell you that I have run into several junk Cuban Cigars with the same lame excuse that "oh they must have been fake"  NO,  they were just bad!!!  Not every Cuban Cigar is amazing.  some are also lousy and overrated.  You must think of the false ideal that has been subliminally ingrained in us about Cuban cigars over the years, that there is no better cigar no matter what...That is simply not true.  Just like there have been some overrated steaks and/or meals at highly renowned restaurant  you have eaten, there are overrated Cuban cigars and Non-CC.  Keep trying both Cuban and non-Cubans with an open mind, palette and without any preconceived notions.  That's how you will become a true Connoisseur and aficionado. 

• Like 3

The US market is flooded with crap. You have to swim through it and find your taste. I am very much enjoying the efforts of Warped cigars. If you come across any of them, give them a shot. La Hacienda, Futuro and the La Colmena come to mind.

The one thing I’ll give NC’s is they’re usually always consistent. Consistently bad or consistently good. Once you’ve tried one example you can pretty much make your decision on whether you like it or not. Cubans...not so much. It’s much more about construction and the batch of tabbacco that month/year from my experience, but more often than not I’ll find something to like about a good example of a CC. A bad example is typically just young or poorly constructed.   

I’m fond of most Fuente, Padron 64/26, Illusione and Oliva. 

I usually smoke puros from Nicaragua and Cuba.  CC is good with coffee in the morning and NC (Nicaragua) goes well with strong whiskies. 

Quoted for truth. If I’m drinking whiskey with a CC it’s a nice highland or Speyside scotch. If drinking whiskey with a Nicaraguan, it’s likely one of my favorite bourbons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk