RyJ Petit , Short or Wide Churchills

I prefer the wide churchills for the "fullness" of the smoke, although I find the ring gauge to be unwieldy at times.

I agree with others that the petit is more intense than the short, in a good way (to me).

• Like 1

I prefer the short churchill's and the full size churchill's. 

I've got a mental block on the petit. I don't want to spend $200 on a box of 4" cigars like the petit churchill's when for approximately $70 more you can buy the full size churchills.  (or I can get two boxes of another 4" cigar the HUHC)

It seems that on several websites the petit are more than the short. Why is that? They are the same RG but the short is about 1" longer.

The wide churchills are too wide and not far off from the price of the regular churchill so I don't buy those either.

I do have to say though that the RyJ taste profile is one of my absolute favorites. I just wish the petit prices were more reflective of the size of cigar. 

• Like 2

I think at their best, I'd probably take the SC. Generally the PC is the most enjoyable for me but they can have a little bitterness to them. Not sure if that works itself out over time though. The WC can be good but I've had nothing but bad luck with them over the years. Very inconsistent IMO. Also burn issues are always a possibility with those ring guages. 

• Like 1

What’s the flavor profile differences btw the ful vs Wide vs Petite?

I can only speak for the wide Churchill.

I get a smooth creamy smoke with hints of earthy or woody notes. At times I got a fruity note as well. But that’s me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Had 10 short churchills from 2015, smoked 7 of them so far, 5 have been plugged. Had to pull out the perfecdraw

I'd take this any day over my severely underfilled short church I had last night. Had to ditch it after struggling through the first third it was so bad. At least the perfect draw usually fixes a plugged one right up. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 1:33 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

Had 10 short churchills from 2015, smoked 7 of them so far, 5 have been plugged. Had to pull out the perfecdraw

Hmm what humidity are you keeping them at? Do you dry box them? I haven't had to use my perfectdraw in months ever since I started keeping anything I'm going to smoke in a month or so in a 58% box. 

• Like 1

In order for me would be.... regular churchill(I realize this wasn't on your list, but), then PC, short, wide. If something I wanted to smoke right away I think the SC is better ROTT.

• Like 1

I would throw in the new Petite Royales in the mix. I got a box from 24:24 (DIC17) that has been a complete banger. Very attractive from a price standpoint and the ones I've smoked have had very true RyJ DNA.

On the three you mention: I do prefer the wide one, all day of the week.

• Like 1

I smoked a petit churchill last night right off the truck. It was a bit of a let down. Kind of bland. 

I've got a box of Petit Royales on the way. I hope they are better. Basically the only cigars where I get that real RyJ cherry and cream taste like the churchill is the mille fleur but the cherry is much fainter vs the churchill. I don't get it from the SC or the PC and find the taste of the SC a bit better. 

• Like 1