Regional Releases

I just read a description of a release for Spain that said 'Spain always produces some lovely blends for their regional editions' This makes me wonder a few things:

Is it actually anything to do with Spain what blend Habanos decides to produce as a Spanish RE?

Do Habanos take into consideration what are good sellers in particular regions when producing RE's either in terms of blend, flavour profile, marca or vitola?

Is it actually just a marketing tactic that has nothing to do with the region it is for?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rob

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had the pleasure of smoking the new PL Corona 5ta Avenida ER today. Wow - honestly a great cigar, excellent burn, draw and taste right to the end, no bitternes, guess it will be even more fantast

Smoked another PL Corona 5ta Avenida today with a good US friend on a short visit to my village and we both agreed it is a Very good cigar. I am impressed by this release ....    

And you may even get them - or not. Be prepared to at least threaten a chargeback.

In case you haven't read about the RE program. Start here:  https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/cigar/releases#Regional_Edition_Series

In general, major distributors give $$'s to Habanos to make a cigar to their specification(s).  They put up all the money in the venture.  Some regionals are blended for specific purposes.  Many find that AP asks for blends that age well, as does Germany.  Each market is different and the determinations of what sells is best left to them to work out first and then deal with Habanos.  I think the only limiting factors are what marcas are up for grabs. And as you'll notice, a few marcas are not up for grabs.  Cohiba, Partagas for instance. Lots of RA, PL. Bolivar, QdO, SLR, Punch and more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, throberto said:

Thanks for the reply, and here was me being all sceptical!

I have bookmarked the website as a very useful resource.

Cheers

Rob

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You're welcome.  Enjoy the site, lots of great info. And you'll learn that "Skeptical" & "Habanos" go hand in hand.  :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

I see the '18 listed on thecigarsmoker.com.. Looks as if it is in stock? Or they preemptively listed it. So no '17 RE, but the 18 is coming out? And it's almost 2019. Good job Habanos SA

Yeah, as usual. But there are a few of the 2017 REs that haven't been released yet.

Two of the 2018 ones have been released, HK and the first of the French ones. The second one probably won't be available before Spring 2019.

I was in Germany last week and neither the 2017 or the 2018 had been released.

The 2017 one will probably be presented at nest months Intertabak and should be available shortly after.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, Nikolaos said:

Speaking on RR try to get a hold of a 50 cigars cab of Por Larranaga Coronas Regional Edition Alemania (Germany) 2018

On 9/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Nikolaos said:

You can order the Por Larranaga from LCDH Hamburg, www.thecigarsmoker.com . I have one box in the mail.

Do you think it is worth double the price for the this German RE Por Larranaga Corona vs a PLPC?  The German regional is not much bigger in size (142 mm vs 129 mm). 

20 minutes ago, VRATJV07 said:

Do you think it is worth double the price for the this German RE Por Larranaga Corona vs a PLPC?  The German regional is not much bigger in size (142 mm vs 129 mm). 

No, I don't . I do think the German regionals have been pretty good but I'm done with most of the REs and Els. I'd rather have a standout cab or two of PLPC from our host.

You can order the Por Larranaga from LCDH Hamburg, www.thecigarsmoker.com . I have one box in the mail.

And you may even get them - or not. Be prepared to at least threaten a chargeback.
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, VRATJV07 said:

Worth it, as in will it be nearly twice as good as a PLPC? Absolutely not.

If these are simply a 13mm longer PLPC they'll sell out and people will rave about them. In fact, I'd probably spend $10 on a stick just to see how it compares to the PLPC and if it is similar just to experience a longer PLPC. So they've got my $10...but not my $550.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:00 AM, bundwallah said:

In case you haven't read about the RE program. Start here:  https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/cigar/releases#Regional_Edition_Series

In general, major distributors give $$'s to Habanos to make a cigar to their specification(s).  They put up all the money in the venture.  Some regionals are blended for specific purposes.  Many find that AP asks for blends that age well, as does Germany.  Each market is different and the determinations of what sells is best left to them to work out first and then deal with Habanos.  I think the only limiting factors are what marcas are up for grabs. And as you'll notice, a few marcas are not up for grabs.  Cohiba, Partagas for instance. Lots of RA, PL. Bolivar, QdO, SLR, Punch and more.

Good intel here, thanks! I’ve often wondered how an RE blend comes to be, and what differentiates them from the herd.

Until very recently, I’d never tried one. But I picked up several singles in Canada last month, and have been pleasantly surprised with the results so far. Sure I paid dearly, given Canadian prices on top of the RE premium, but the upside is that every one of them has a bit of age (3 - 7 years), with some being silky smooth as well as uniquely flavored. I doubt I’ll go searching for the latest releases, but my little experiment has been quite fruitful in expanding my flavor experiences. If nothing else, I’m less skeptical of the value now. But then life’s to short to let value completely influence my cigar choices. Smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em!

Only 1600 cabs and under $20/stick? They will sell out like hot cakes, deservedly so or not.
That's the famous German efficiency for you. Boxes of 10? Nah. Bundle them up in 50s, keep the price reasonable (which is helped by the cab size) watch them go, move on.
Looks like a nice cigar, a bigger PLPC is a very good call.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

1 hour ago, Akela3rd said:

a bigger PLPC is a very good call. 

Not to be forgotten is the 06 PL Lonsdales, also a Germany ER. From what I recall hearing they were not at all similar to the PLPC and in fact were very much derided for many years afterwards as were most early ERs. I don't know if these ever came around. I may be mistaken about them but I seem to recall that was the assessment of them.

IMO, they should have re-released the Lonsdales done right. Lonsdales have been a good selling ER format for Germany. If done right (the PLPC or PLMC blend) they'd be just spectacular after the 5-year wait. I don't know anyone that has had an aged PLPC that didn't wish it was longer. 

My (and @JohnS's) question is why hasn't anyone asked for a SC Lonsdale or Coronas with the El Principe blend? Hello? Here's hoping the new SC Petit Piramides are the El Principe blend...I'd be so in. We don't need a short La Punta. We need a fat El Principe! 

• Like 2

, they should have re-released the Lonsdales done right. Lonsdales have been a good selling ER format for Germany. If done right (the PLPC or PLMC blend) they'd be just spectacular after the 5-year wait. I don't know anyone that has had an agedPLPC that didn't wish it was longer. 

That's what she said.....

The 06 Lonsdales definitely came around. No idea what you base your opinion on. The only issue is that some were rolled tightly.

BTW, the Coronas are available next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

The 06 Lonsdales definitely came around. No idea what you base your opinion on. The only issue is that some were rolled tightly.

BTW, the Coronas are available next week.

The ‘06 Lonsdale are some of the only REs I keep. I love them. Different strokes I guess.