LGC No.4 versus PL Montecarlos... Have you had both?

Both are fantastic cigars. I would say if your going to be smoking them right away get the LGC but if you plan on aging them for several years get the Montecarlo.

It can take a little time for that caramel taste of the PL to develop where as the LGC fruity taste is there now.

They are some of my favorites. I don’t think one is better than the other they are both great in their own way. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fitzy said:

Both are fantastic cigars. I would say if your going to be smoking them right away get the LGC but if you plan on aging them for several years get the Montecarlo.

It can take a little time for that caramel taste of the PL to develop where as the LGC fruity taste is there now.

They are some of my favorites. I don’t think one is better than the other they are both great in their own way. 

I second everything Fitzy said. I would add the MC is a more rustic cigar and the construction of the LGC is generally better. Both are good cigars.

11 minutes ago, TheLiquidGator said:

I second everything Fitzy said. I would add the MC is a more rustic cigar and the construction of the LGC is generally better. Both are good cigars.

It’s funny I would almost say both are rather rustic. 

The LGC wrappers I have in my humidor now are very rough and inconsistent. 

I smoke both. Although similar is size, the flavor profiles are different. Both are great. The PLM are a great value at their price, tasting somewhat flowery. But the stewed fruit of the LGC4 wins me over when picking between the two and price is fair as well.

My comments are for young cigars, not aged.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

have both in my collection, the flavour profiles are quite distinct from each other. I get cornbread/caramel with the PLMC and stewed golden fruits/floral notes with LGC4. I've always debated between PLPC and PLMC the former being the ultimate flavour expression the later providing a unique format therefore i've settled for PLPC and LGC4 which comes nicely packed in the varnished box.

I love both of these, I keep them in rotation all the time. 

My taste buds seem to be a bit backwards cause I like the fresh PLMC and I prefer the aged LGC. But really either way, fresh or aged, both are great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crking3 said:

Cost savings in the plmc is incredible ......personally think best bang for your buck coming out of Cuba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. 

Dollar for Dollar the PLMC's are heads and tails above the LGCs. Even if they were the same price I would lean towards the PLMCs. I pick up several boxes every time I go to the island. At $76 a box they are the best value in all of cigars, let alone Cubans. Especially when you need to rustle up a few last minute facturas.......

I also agree with @Philc2001's tasting preferences. I feel the LGCs need to calm down for 6-12 months before they hit their stride. I smoke the PLMCs fresh all the way to 7 or 8 years old and I enjoy them anywhere in that range. 

I was trying to hold off to order more cigars but I have been eyeing the LGC No.4 because I have never smoked any of the long skinny cigars.  You guys are making it hard not to order a box.  Plus the fact that I am just starting to get into CC so I don't have any that have been sitting in the humidor for any length of time.  So I feel like I need to stock up so I can have cigars to try now and much later.

Really, really tough to compare as the PLMC is about 50% cheaper than the LGC. The winner in terms of value by a county mile is the PL. 

The LGC is definitely a great but very different cigar. The PL profile can get a bit boring for some over time and I think the LGC is never boring when well aged. Very fruity and complex, and quite a bit punchier. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...