What to wear in Cuba

Kwenk

I’ll preface this with a full acknowledgement that this is a odd question (and have prepared myself for a healthy dose of good natured sarcasm as well), but wanted to solicit thoughts from those who have traveled in Cuba about appropriate attire.

I am going to Havana and Cienfuegos in December for the first time. My normal attire in the Caribbean would be shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap when out in the sun. As I have been reading about Cuba, it seems like it might be more acceptable to wear pants and a button down collared shirt while out and about. It’s not that I have any delusions that I will be able to mask that I am an American tourist, but I was trying to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb, looking completely out of place, or violating some sort of unspoken dress code. I am sure plenty of tourists do this everyday, but was trying to avoid being “that guy”. Also, I know that the Tropicana has a dress code that requires long pants, but didn’t know if places like the Hotel Nacional also had similar requirements? Finally, I assumed being dressed better would maybe give me a better reception at cigar shops, paladars, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, or maybe I am overthinking this.

I’ll preface this with a full acknowledgement that this is a odd question (and have prepared myself for a healthy dose of good natured sarcasm as well), but wanted to solicit thoughts from those who have traveled in Cuba about appropriate attire.
I am going to Havana and Cienfuegos in December for the first time. My normal attire in the Caribbean would be shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap when out in the sun. As I have been reading about Cuba, it seems like it might be more acceptable to wear pants and a button down collared shirt while out and about. It’s not that I have any delusions that I will be able to mask that I am an American tourist, but I was trying to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb, looking completely out of place, or violating some sort of unspoken dress code. I am sure plenty of tourists do this everyday, but was trying to avoid being “that guy”. Also, I know that the Tropicana has a dress code that requires long pants, but didn’t know if places like the Hotel Nacional also had similar requirements? Finally, I assumed being dressed better would maybe give me a better reception at cigar shops, paladars, etc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, or maybe I am overthinking this.
Yes you are over thinking this. I recently came back from Cuba. I spent a week in Havana and my friends and I wore a range of clothes from shorts to light trousers, t shirts and basketball tops. I seriously wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just wear what you would wear anywhere else. Maybe throw on a pair of pants if you go to dinner at a nicer place. As far as hanging at the HN or the cigar shops, shorts are fine. You’ll look spiffy next to the dude in his swim suit?

8 hours ago, oliverdst said:

Paints just at night and if it is kind of mandatory. In the Partagas welcome dinner I wore paints. It was the only time during the trip.

I don't know of anywhere where body paint is mandatory. You may have been mistaken for the entertainment if you wore only body paint to the Partagas welcome dinner.

22 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I don't know of anywhere where body paint is mandatory. You may have been mistaken for the entertainment if you wore only body paint to the Partagas welcome dinner.

Hopefully as least a thong was also required, if not a little more.  

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Paint pant paints 

Well, I typed and, no, it was not a autocorrector thing. It's just a gringo misspell.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on this, sounds like I might be embracing my “gringo-ness” during the day with shorts and swapping them out for pants for dinner and a show.

I briefly considered painting on the pants, but thought better of it. No one needs (or wants) to see that. ?