Trinidad Shorts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am German . . . we don't do any kind of pranks, jokes, whatever along the lines. That would come completely unnatural to us ( insert emoji of your choice ).

But Davidoff does...and a very popular one.    Try to find a Cohiba Robusto Suprema, Trinidad Topes, Mag 56....I could list 15 LE in the last decade. The marketing part is going ok. Let's

These seem to have appeared from nowhere. Anybody seen or heard about them . . . or even better tried them allready ?

On 9/18/2018 at 2:02 AM, Fuzz said:

They do have new spiffy rolling machines.

I forgot about that topic, that might explain new releases. Hopefully we will see Diplo, RA and other Shorts hit the market soon.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, 99call said:

...they simply kick the ball in the back of the net!!

Now you hit a nerve :angry::D

Smoked my first one today. As i was driving a little detour to the Casa in Nuremberg today to get me my cab of the Larrañaga Coronas, much to my surprise i saw them displayed at the counter. Nearly missed them, because i did not expect them to be on sale yet.

Trini_shorts_02_small.thumb.jpg.5cc7ed00b38fd37ac77c5fc715b75152.jpg

Nice, actually more than nice ! Can't say if they taste true to the marca ( certainly different than the 15 year old Fundi i had last week ) after the one i smoked. But imho fuller than the CoSho and i like the fact that taste wise it built up as i progressed smoking it, which i find rather uncommon with Cigarillos. Needless to say i nearly burnt my fingers. I regret already only buying one pack ?

• Like 1

Priced like cosho?  I like cosho but for the price (I think I laid basically $2 a stick), I’d rather have a $4 huhc and have it last me 4 times as long, not to mention a better taste.  The shorts would have a place in my rotation more often if they were priced better.  Probably my fault for only smoking cosho up to now.   Perhaps I’ll try Monte puritos or Something similar to save coin?  Any other suggestions?

Priced like cosho?  I like cosho but for the price (I think I laid basically $2 a stick), I’d rather have a $4 huhc and have it last me 4 times as long, not to mention a better taste.  The shorts would have a place in my rotation more often if they were priced better.  Probably my fault for only smoking cosho up to now.   Perhaps I’ll try Monte puritos or Something similar to save coin?  Any other suggestions?

Yeah, about the same as CoSho. Not exactly good value for money but I’m a sucker for the packaging and it’s a great “chaser” after a real cigar.

Not only am I excited, but I love the LGC MdO3 vitola, and just thought about doing a little Frankenstein to afix a couple Shorts together end-to-end. Just on a lark. Pectin, water and a little time to complete. :idea:

• 4 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 5:20 AM, losttrailer said:

I forgot about that topic, that might explain new releases. Hopefully we will see Diplo, RA and other Shorts hit the market soon.

Now you hit a nerve :angry::D

Smoked my first one today. As i was driving a little detour to the Casa in Nuremberg today to get me my cab of the Larrañaga Coronas, much to my surprise i saw them displayed at the counter. Nearly missed them, because i did not expect them to be on sale yet.

Nice, actually more than nice ! Can't say if they taste true to the marca ( certainly different than the 15 year old Fundi i had last week ) after the one i smoked. But imho fuller than the CoSho and i like the fact that taste wise it built up as i progressed smoking it, which i find rather uncommon with Cigarillos. Needless to say i nearly burnt my fingers. I regret already only buying one pack ?

Just tried one of these too.  Being from my favorite brand, I couldn't resist.  I also agree with you, it doesn't really tasted like a good Reyes or Fundi but it's tasty and I think better than the CoSho (though I am severely biased for anything that says Trinidad).  Time will tell.

1. To expect 'cohiba dna' from a cosho, or 'trinidad dna' from a trisho... is a bit whimsical. You have to remember that machine rolled cigarillos are short filler. We all know how wonderfully organized HSA is. Short filler is all the leftovers from the rolling boards for the long filler puros. It's inherently kaleidoscopic in terms of which seams of tobacco are represented. I've smoked many hundreds of coshos, chicos, party serie clubs. They're all good. Do they smoke like their bigger totalmente a mano cousins? No. Do they show consistent flavor profile across all smokes through a carton - or even a 10 pack? No. They're a different product from the handrolleds. Just the nature of the beast.

2. As much as I enjoy a cosho, the value for dollar just isn't there like it is with a chico (especially when they go on sale 50% off...). Like @NSXCIGAR says, the chicos (and other real puritos) are just as enjoyable, and give you more bang for your buck, and minutes of enjoyment.

Though I happily admit I'll be delighted to try the trishos, I highly doubt they will outcompete chicos as my regular go-to short smoke - just as the coshos also failed to do. I just don't inherently get more enjoyment out of a cigarillo that has a fancier band and packaging.

All that being true, I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes.

• Like 2

Smoked a couple of packs of TriSho now and they just don’t please me like CoSho do. Does a CoSho taste like a “mini Cohiba”, I don’t think so. Does it taste smoother and more flavorful than any other cigarillo - to my palate, yes. At near $2/stick they are not great value. At $1.30/stick (tax-free in Europe or on sale), I think it’s a very fair deal.

2 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

1. To expect 'cohiba dna' from a cosho, or 'trinidad dna' from a trisho... is a bit whimsical. You have to remember that machine rolled cigarillos are short filler. We all know how wonderfully organized HSA is. Short filler is all the leftovers from the rolling boards for the long filler puros. It's inherently kaleidoscopic in terms of which seams of tobacco are represented. I've smoked many hundreds of coshos, chicos, party serie clubs. They're all good. Do they smoke like their bigger totalmente a mano cousins? No. Do they show consistent flavor profile across all smokes through a carton - or even a 10 pack? No. They're a different product from the handrolleds. Just the nature of the beast.

2. As much as I enjoy a cosho, the value for dollar just isn't there like it is with a chico (especially when they go on sale 50% off...). Like @NSXCIGAR says, the chicos (and other real puritos) are just as enjoyable, and give you more bang for your buck, and minutes of enjoyment.

Though I happily admit I'll be delighted to try the trishos, I highly doubt they will outcompete chicos as my regular go-to short smoke - just as the coshos also failed to do. I just don't inherently get more enjoyment out of a cigarillo that has a fancier band and packaging.

All that being true, I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes.

Was actually wondering, are these really rolled from scraps?  It seems like a logistical nightmare for them to collect rolling scraps and then machine roll them.  Wouldn't they just use the lesser grade tobacco and route it directly to the factory for these machine-made cigars (which I understand are not even rolled in Cuba)?  Not doubting you or anything, just trying to better understand how these are made.

1 hour ago, mt1 said:

Was actually wondering, are these really rolled from scraps?  It seems like a logistical nightmare for them to collect rolling scraps and then machine roll them.  Wouldn't they just use the lesser grade tobacco and route it directly to the factory for these machine-made cigars (which I understand are not even rolled in Cuba)?  Not doubting you or anything, just trying to better understand how these are made.

Yeah. That's what short filler is. With resources stretched as thin as they are in Cuba, you gotta expect them to try not to waste material that's taken a lot of resources to produce.

Here's the progression. Scraps from each level are used to make the next one:

Hand rolled/long filler cigars

Hand rolled/short filler cigars

Machine rolled/ short filler cigars

Machine rolled/ short filler puritos->clubs-> minis

Cigarettes

17 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Like @NSXCIGAR says, the chicos (and other real puritos) are just as enjoyable, and give you more bang for your buck, and minutes of enjoyment.

The CoSho are good, and a bit of a step up, but when I'm smoking a Puritos that extra quality isn't that critical. To me, the CoSho are just as enjoyable as Chicos & Monte Puritos flavor-wise. 

Honestly, the shorter length of the "Shorts" is bothersome to me. It's too short. The Puritos size is perfect. That loss of a half inch in the Shorts is significant. The Puritos is short enough as it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That loss of a half inch in the Shorts is significant.

Size DOES matter, eh? :rotfl:

11 hours ago, Smallclub said:

No, cigarettes are made with non-premium tobacco from other regions.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Got any good links to share about it? I'd be interested to read up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Interesting. I didn't know that. Got any good links to share about it? I'd be interested to read up.

I have no knowledge of Cuban cigarette production but in general cigarette tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco (both premium and cheap) are very different animals from strain to growing region to processing.

Nearly all the cigarette tobacco in the US is grown in the Virginia/Carolina regions. No cigar tobacco is grown there. Cigar tobacco is the most highly prized, and since geographic region is the critical factor for cigar tobacco no one would waste the Vuelta Abajo, for example, on low value cigarette tobacco. 

I don't know what the difference in strains are or what properties are ideal for cigarette tobacco but ostensibly certain strains and regions are favored for cigarettes. Since cigarette tobacco is generally very mild and relatively flavorless perhaps growing cigarette tobacco in the Vuelta Abajo would actually impart too much flavor to it.

image.png.19da35c094938b2c316c43b033fbc6c2.png

Available in Switzerland in most shops and online vendors too (officials Habanos mostly).

Need to try them too. Must get into Trinidad..

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I have no knowledge of Cuban cigarette production but in general cigarette tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco (both premium and cheap) are very different animals from strain to growing region to processing.

Nearly all the cigarette tobacco in the US is grown in the Virginia/Carolina regions. No cigar tobacco is grown there. Cigar tobacco is the most highly prized, and since geographic region is the critical factor for cigar tobacco no one would waste the Vuelta Abajo, for example, on low value cigarette tobacco. 

I don't know what the difference in strains are or what properties are ideal for cigarette tobacco but ostensibly certain strains and regions are favored for cigarettes. Since cigarette tobacco is generally very mild and relatively flavorless perhaps growing cigarette tobacco in the Vuelta Abajo would actually impart too much flavor to it.

Maybe @El Presidente , @Trevor2118 , @JohnS , @Fuzz , @Ethernut , or @Corylax18 could chime in here? Those guys probably have way more detailed knowledge on this subject than us.

As for cigarette tobacco being mild... not at all so in the case of cuban cigs. I've smoked a lot of cohiba and h upmann cigarettes, and let me tell you boyo... they are anything but mild. Buggers'll put hair on your chest.

As for american cigarettes, they're literally made of paper. It's called 'reconstituted sheet tobacco'. It's a special kind of paper that burns just so and evenly absorbs all the crud that's added to it. There isn't a shred of actual tobacco in a traditional american cigarette. Spirits and the new nat sherman release are made from tobacco, but it's rubbish tobacco. The days of md/va/nc cigarette tobacco production are not what they used to be.

16 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Cuban cigarettes ('cigarrillos') are made of either plain Cuban black tobacco or blended with Virginia and other varieties to varying proportions (e.g. some of the milder cigs). There are more and more Virginia fields now being planted in Cuba (also in Vuelta Abajo), and they are just currently setting up a new cig-factory in Mariel. Certain leaf varieties are also being imported. Just google for cigarettes and Brascuba and/or e.g. Granma and you'll find the info you are looking for. One runs across such once in a while when browsing Cuban news publications, but cigarettes is not a topic I have a vested interest in (detesting it actually), so I hope this will give you enough idea to look it up for yourself. I also hope this thread will not be turning into one of promoting cigarette smoking, be it now 'American' or Cuban.....

(sorry for chiming in  ;))

• Like 1

Now don't get me wrong, I like Partagas Chicos. But I have never bought the bullshit about cigars being worth $30 each.

So where are all the folks chiming in about how presenting cigars as a luxury item is so good for the market??? Where is the Cadillac of brands stuff? The double band, and shines box, those of you who have rationalized over and over again about hi-line brands and names?

One thread after another, many here are eager to bolster up the luxury market for cigar talk. Well just when Tabacuba and it minions got through telling you how expensive and luxury their cigars are, they pull the rug out from under you and show you what a cigar should be!!! What is the Trinidad and Cohiba names worth now? The hi-line of 'Chicos...?'

This gives me a stout laugh and some gratification. What I have been saying about cigar smoking being dead without inexpensive entry products is sinking in somewhere.

Here is a news flash... If they can stuff 10 of these in a box for $25, one of their fancy models 'ain't' worth $30... -LOL

Coming full circle, the market is broad enough for a whole spectrum of cigar products. This runs right back to killing all the Coronas, Lonsdales and PCs... It was stupid. Maybe these dopes  at Tabacuba are figuring it out... at long last.

If you guys have not noticed, packaging your hi-line product as machine made 'Chicos' totally blows the luxury market model. Rolex, by the way, is not turning out a brass watch made in China...! -LOL Ever wanted to know if the powers on Isla Cuba had a clue about marketing, this is your "Ammunition." -LOL They will paste Cohiba and Trinidad on a black cat's ass to make a buck... and frankly that is all the names were worth in the first place!

-the Pig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cuban Cigarette production is something I have discussed in the past with Trevor when he was researching and setting up Cuban Cigar Website. He wanted to limit the site to just cigars, but added some basic information on minis, clubs and puritos. He stopped short of adding information on cigarettes.

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/cigar/production

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

So where are all the folks chiming in about how presenting cigars as a luxury item is so good for the market??? Where is the Cadillac of brands stuff? The double band, and shines box, those of you who have rationalized over and over again about hi-line brands and names?

One thread after another, many here are eager to bolster up the luxury market for cigar talk. Well just when Tabacuba and it minions got through telling you how expensive and luxury their cigars are, they pull the rug out from under you and show you what a cigar should be!!! What is the Trinidad and Cohiba names worth now? The hi-line of 'Chicos...?'

They are only following the Fuente (Opus X & Don Carlos) +  Padron (Anniversario) Model.........fine capitalists that they are :D

They didn't invent fancy packaging/vintage cigars/super premium market. Apparently they are not permitted to play in it?

9 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Maybe @El Presidente , @Trevor2118 , @JohnS , @Fuzz , @Ethernut , or @Corylax18 could chime in here? Those guys probably have way more detailed knowledge on this subject than us.

i think Fugu covered most of it.  To be honest, I have never delved too deeply into the world of Cuban cigs.

Once upon a time I believed cigar tobacco was a one crop a year exercise. The farms were hallowed and the soil protected and rested. 

That was until I popped in one March to a VA Finca and saw a beautiful crop of tobacco. I was having coffee with the owner and asked why there was a crop of tobacco in the field come March?  He said that because he had access to water, he could plant a cigarette crop after the cigar crop was picked and cleared.  He wasn't the only one. 

They are farmers who need the coin. I don't blame them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Once upon a time I believed cigar tobacco was a one crop a year exercise. The farms were hallowed and the soil protected and rested. 

That was until I popped in one March to a VA Finca and saw a beautiful crop of tobacco. I was having coffee with the owner and asked why there was a crop of tobacco in the field come March?  He said that because he had access to water, he could plant a cigarette crop after the cigar crop was picked and cleared.  He wasn't the only one.

So how, if at all (in theory and / or reality), might this affect the following crop destined for cigars?