Havana Airport - Terminal 2 Scam Alert

BolivarSmoker

I believe this is more of an American traveler issue...my friend from Buffalo just got his cigars from his check luggage confiscated out of the Varadero airport. Nothing was even asked of him to get them back. The last few years I’ve been to Cuba especially just this May I’ve had over 300 cigars coming back to Canada split between check luggage and carry on and no problems even after them pulling them out. Not having communication barriers with the Spanish language and having a Latin wife certainly helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Monterey said:

Guy sells those customs at a high markup.  It is possible that he claims these losses to discourage others from going to Cuba and buying.  More business for him.

I had considered that.  Or even the probability that he is being singled out, which is a much more pleasing thought. 

• Like 2

I will be going soon and hopefully will pick up some wish list items as well as customs.  This is my first trip so I won't push the envelope too much.  I do speak Spanish, so hopefully that will help if there are any issues...

I came through Jose Marti this morning, terminal 3.  Between me and my father, I had several boxes, split between carry-on and checked bags.  My carry-on was selected by customs for 'further inspection'.  The young man asked I had facturas, and I did, matching the exact contents of my bag (10 of so boxes).  I said yes and pulled them out.  He called a young lady over and she told me to come with her.  I followed her around while she carried my passport and facturas.  She tried several doors, but none we unlocked.  She tried 4 or 5 different ways to take me out of the terminal, but the other Aduana did not let her for some reason.  She left me with a couple of other agents, standing against the wall and finally re-appeared after about 20 minutes, gave me my passport and facturas and told he to have a nice flight, even smiled.  She never opened my bag to verify anything.  I kept waiting for the 'export tax', but it never came.  Lucky me I suppose.

12 hours ago, bmf30180 said:

I came through Jose Marti this morning, terminal 3.  Between me and my father, I had several boxes, split between carry-on and checked bags.  My carry-on was selected by customs for 'further inspection'.  The young man asked I had facturas, and I did, matching the exact contents of my bag (10 of so boxes).  I said yes and pulled them out.  He called a young lady over and she told me to come with her.  I followed her around while she carried my passport and facturas.  She tried several doors, but none we unlocked.  She tried 4 or 5 different ways to take me out of the terminal, but the other Aduana did not let her for some reason.  She left me with a couple of other agents, standing against the wall and finally re-appeared after about 20 minutes, gave me my passport and facturas and told he to have a nice flight, even smiled.  She never opened my bag to verify anything.  I kept waiting for the 'export tax', but it never came.  Lucky me I suppose.

That is very odd indeed. Wonder what they were doing? Oh and obligatory pictures of Cuban haul! :love:

Yeah, I've read everything I could about going through the airport.  I thought I had a good grasp of what to expect.  I was confused and beginning to get a bit nervous.  My dad was right behind me, they just asked for facturas, he said yes, and they just waved him on through. 

As for my haul, they are chilling in the freezer at the moment. I'll post them up this weekend. I think the total was close to 600 including the customs, and I was able to grab a few ashtrays from the Nationale. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 3:15 PM, bmf30180 said:

Much appreciated info fellas.  I may push my limit a bit, depending on how successful I am at filling my wish list.  I'm traveling with my non-smoking father, so hopefully we can slide thru.

Isn't he the person that let it be known about his cigars being confiscated, then his sheeples started up a fund to give him money for his losses?  lol... he flies to Cuba to flip cigars, then people just give him money when his cigars (that he was gonna flip anyway) get confiscated? 

6 minutes ago, AlohaStyle said:

Isn't he the person that let it be known about his cigars being confiscated, then his sheeples started up a fund to give him money for his losses?  lol... he flies to Cuba to flip cigars, then people just give him money when his cigars (that he was gonna flip anyway) get confiscated? 

Ummmm.....what??

Probably the same guy.  I can't imagine anyone helping to cover his losses though.  There are obviously better ways to get your hands on Cuban cigars.  I was banned from a certain group (CC) for referring followers to this forum.

Is that criminal still a member here?

• 1 month later...

So I got the same terminal 2 scam today as the OP. Same MO and I think the same guys. In my case the X-ray tech had a problem with the small humidor I had in my carryon and ignored the 2 bundles of custom rolls I had with me. At first he asked for a factura for the humidor which I gave him. Then he said it was not possible to bring humidors as carryons since they are made of wood. Actually kind of funny if you think about it.

Anyhow this shakedown cost me $40 and an awkward trip to the men’s bathroom. In return I got a handshake and a pat on the back.

Just wanted to let you guys know. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, jerrybrowne said:

So I got the same terminal 2 scam today as the OP. Same MO and I think the same guys. In my case the X-ray tech had a problem with the small humidor I had in my carryon and ignored the 2 bundles of custom rolls I had with me. At first he asked for a factura for the humidor which I gave him. Then he said it was not possible to bring humidors as carryons since they are made of wood. Actually kind of funny if you think about it.

Anyhow this shakedown cost me $40 and an awkward trip to the men’s bathroom. In return I got a handshake and a pat on the back.

Just wanted to let you guys know. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry to hear that man. I was there a year ago and it didnt happen but it sucks that its still going down like that.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:04 AM, AlohaStyle said:

if anyone on this planet is so truly stupid as to give money to a fund like that then they do not deserve to have it in the first place. it is truly beyond my comprehension how humanity has survived this long.