Show me your Cajon!

4 minutes ago, 99call said:

Still a lot of work to do, but am enjoying saving these fellas.   All I need now is 200 RA Petit Coronas!!.   Interesting the older version has hand scored, hand cut dove tail joints, whilst the newer one, has its joints routed on a jig. 

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Nice thanks for sharing 

Like those old boxes style

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just picked up this Cabanas y Carbajal Cuban Compendium.  Will post better images once it's with me.  Really happy to find this, as I've wanted one of these hinged arm boxes for a long time, and so mu

Picked up this Upmann Book humidor up today.  I real beauty and in mint condition. 

Still a lot of work to do, but am enjoying saving these fellas.   All I need now is 200 RA Petit Coronas!!.   Interesting the older version has hand scored, hand cut dove tail joints, whilst the newer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2019 at 2:48 AM, 99call said:

Hello Jack,

I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about this box.  I picked up an Upmann version of your Partagas box the other day.  My humidor is called "50 Variedades", I can't quite see the name on yours. is it the same?.   I don't have the inner leaf sadly, nor the original dividers. I'm aware that the partagas selection may have been different, but if it was possible to get some dimensions, I would be extremely grateful as I'd love to accurately restore the dividers.

Many thanks, Stefan

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Apologies for the tardy reply.  I have two of the Partagas boxes and they both say "Varieties" on the front edge.  The interior compartments were, of course, for a sample of several different cigars.  I can get you the dimensions, but several of the compartments have a raised platform in the bottom so even the depths are different to ensure that the cigars are all flush to the surface for satisfactory presentation.

On 5/12/2019 at 3:38 PM, 99call said:

picked up this epic Villar Y Villar box today.   it's rather splendid

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Your Villar Y Villar box looks like it could be pre-1900.  Check the lithographer of the inner label and see when they were in business.  Nice find!

55 minutes ago, Jack said:

Your Villar Y Villar box looks like it could be pre-1900.  Check the lithographer of the inner label and see when they were in business.  Nice find!

Cheers Jack,  Yep that was also my gut feeling (with regards to date), It's not with me as yet, but will check once it is., and put up an image.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Apologies for the tardy reply.  I have two of the Partagas boxes and they both say "Varieties" on the front edge.  The interior compartments were, of course, for a sample of several different cigars.  I can get you the dimensions, but several of the compartments have a raised platform in the bottom so even the depths are different to ensure that the cigars are all flush to the surface for satisfactory presentation.

Many thanks for getting back Jack.  I thank you for offering the possibility of the dimensions.    I wonder what the likelihood the Upmann and Partagas partitioning was the same layout?

I've managed to find this image, just need to now see if I can contact the owner for some internal images.

Many thanks Stefan

55d5213996ee1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, 99call said:

So this Partagas Presidential Humidor arrived today. absolute monster.   All I need to do now is make the missing internal slide lid tray (nice little project)

I few images of a complete one, and some images from an old Cubatobacco humidor catalogue.  

I have a couple of those (one also without the interior tray) and from looking at others I can say that there is no "right" way to make the compartments, regarding size.  You could likely order them with a variety of different cigars, or have it custom made.  I don't remember if I've ever seen two exactly the same.  The replica that Habanos did a few years back - yes, those were all the same.

I can't tell if yours has the quarter-round dowels in the bottom corners, used as stand-offs for the trays.  They help because you can put a humidifier element under the tray, utilizing the empty space.

"Luxurious Cabinets" by Cubatabaco.  Great reference book and very hard to find for a decent price these days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jack said:

I have a couple of those (one also without the interior tray) and from looking at others I can say that there is no "right" way to make the compartments, regarding size.  You could likely order them with a variety of different cigars, or have it custom made.  I don't remember if I've ever seen two exactly the same.  The replica that Habanos did a few years back - yes, those were all the same.

I can't tell if yours has the quarter-round dowels in the bottom corners, used as stand-offs for the trays.  They help because you can put a humidifier element under the tray, utilizing the empty space.

"Luxurious Cabinets" by Cubatabaco.  Great reference book and very hard to find for a decent price these days.

Great info, and thank you.   Yep they have the quarter dowels. 

Gladly I think the Nudies Parejo no 3 that El Pres has in productions should fit 4 x bundles of 50 perfectly.

Yep would love the "Luxurious Cabinets" by Cubatabaco, the images I put in were just ripped off worthpoint.

Thanks again for all your info Jack

On 7/4/2019 at 5:21 AM, Jack said:

Here's the one interior that I have you can see that most of the compartments were never even fitted for slide lids.  The blue striping around the edge is also inside of the lid, so I'm guessing that this is all original.

Lovely stuff Jack, Hats off to you.   What value do you think you would put on these?

12 hours ago, 99call said:

Lovely stuff Jack, Hats off to you.   What value do you think you would put on these?

"To me they are priceless" is the phrase I use to describe something I purchase inexpensively - due to no one else wanting it.

There seems to be very little interest in collecting these nowadays.  Some curiosity value.  Certainly value to a Cuban cigar lover.

In the last 20 years I've seen such a drop in interest that many items go unsold at what I believe are reasonable prices.

I would be surprised if, in the U.S., the one I've shown would sell for US$250.

The Presidential (as these are called in "Luxurious Cabinets") has such a large footprint that it is off-putting to anyone other than a true collector or a person with lots of horizontal space.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jack said:

"To me they are priceless"

Yep, fully agree, by the way did see/buy this stunner?

I think it may have been sold by a cuban connection in Florida on ebay.   Absolute stunning interior. love it

Rare-Antique-HUMIDOR-_57 (2).jpg

Rare-Antique-HUMIDOR-_57 (1).jpg

Rare-Antique-HUMIDOR-_57 (3).jpg

Rare-Antique-HUMIDOR-_57.jpg

Rare-Antique-HUMIDOR.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/6/2019 at 2:21 AM, 99call said:

Yep, fully agree, by the way did see/buy this stunner?

I think it may have been sold by a cuban connection in Florida on ebay.   Absolute stunning interior. love it

That one is early - the script of the initials gives it away.  It doesn't appear to be mass produced, or square.  Custom made, expensively, for a customer.  Interesting that in addition to the standard piano hinge it also has the swing hinges that were used on cabinets that had heavy tops - in order to eliminate any side-to-side movement when opening/closing.  Also has been broken open at one point - lid side of the hinge is missing.  No cigar brand attribution either.

Not mine, didn't buy it, probably wouldn't either.  A bit too "folk art" for my tastes.

I may have something on the way that you missed though...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 99call said:

Was is Nixon's humi? Or that lovely Belinda one that came up for auction?

Oh my, no.  My cigar box full of loose change I use to purchase these isn't that full!  It's Upmann.  Should be here today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jack said:

H. Upmann "Flor"

Lovely piece, It didn't escape my attention.  ?, but good on you for pulling the trigger.  I've seen quite a few of these in the uk, but none with veneers so nicely in tact on the top. 

Hats off to you Jack

6 hours ago, 99call said:

Lovely piece, It didn't escape my attention.  ?, but good on you for pulling the trigger.  I've seen quite a few of these in the uk, but none with veneers so nicely in tact on the top. 

Hats off to you Jack

Sadly these vintage Cuban items just don't exist in the U.S.  They were likely English market items when new.  Didn't the Frankau family own H. Upmann at one point?  At my purchasing heyday the postman thought I was an international smuggler!

18 minutes ago, Jack said:

Sadly these vintage Cuban items just don't exist in the U.S.  They were likely English market items when new.  Didn't the Frankau family own H. Upmann at one point?  At my purchasing heyday the postman thought I was an international smuggler!

Yep, Due to certain brand ownership, there are lots more Ramon Allones, H Upmann and humidors in the UK compared to other marcas.