Things we did as kids that you wouldn't get away with today?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We used to ride our BMX bikes everywhere after school. Now, no one is outside after school!

Things we did as kids that you wouldn't get away with today? There were plenty but one of my favourites was playing "brandy"  (dodgeball I suspect) with the neighbourhood kids...except we used ro

When you got bullied, you came back the next day and fought again, (without weapons)!    

Kids are not supposed to touch each other at school now we used to play Red Rover basically run across a footy field and not get tackled once you were tackled you had to stay in the middle would start of with one person trying to stop 30 kids then at the end would be 29 trying to tackle 1. also remember every second house had a gun and playing with bullets and guns

• Like 3

Guest Nekhyludov

Once the U.S. guys get on this thread, I predict that it ends up locked within three hours, and at least two members end up suspended.

Bought beer underage.  Never a problem and if we were caught with it the PoPo would just take it.  

Now it is a law in my state that everyone must show ID (and it can't be expired) to buy alcohol.  If caught underage, they can take your DL until you turn 21 and may stick you in a treatment program.  (Not saying that is a bad thing by the way.)

• Like 1

Used to play "King of the Hill". In a newer neighborhood, there would always be a huge mound of dirt where they were digging the foundation to a new suburban home. Get to the top of the hill and start throwing dirt clods and rocks down at the ones trying to climb up the hill.

Also had a rifle range in the basement of my high school for Jr. ROTC.

Sneaking back in the woods behind the house for cigarettes. And later in life (teens) to have a girlfriend hook up. But then turned 16, got my license and a car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inter4alia said:

Each kid having their own stash of nearly military grade fireworks for the 4th of July. Adult supervision not necessary. Roman candle "dodge ball." 

One of my father’s employees split a gross of m-80s with me when I was about 14. They would blow a hole in the yard about twelve inches wide. It was basically dynamite. I don’t think I ever detonated one in the presence of an adult. 

We used to play a game called “Ass”.  I dont remember all the rules, but it involved a tennis ball being thrown against a brick wall.

When you lost, the penalty was that you had to stand facing the wall, bent over, and the other players got to take turns whipping the tennis ball at your ass.

• Like 2

We had a bunch of dirt jumps and trails kids in our town built and maintained for BMX bikes. Some were pretty crazy looking back. And the peer pressure to do them was pretty intense. And if you went at these jumps with any doubt in your head you were toast. Definitely built confidence as clearing those jumps was always a huge relief. 

Also, not that I condone this as I’m not a physical person, but we regularly had fights in our town. I’m 39 so this is early 90s. Any dispute was settled in “the pit” at 3:15pm in a wooded area a few blocks from school. Often the two fighting would shake hands after and it was laid to rest. Kind of a funny thing to think about. 

• Like 2

In grade school, we used to have "free-for-alls". The boys would be outside playing at recess, and someone would yell "free-for-all" and whatever we were doing would just stop and it would turn into a giant scrum, wrestling match, dog pile mess of boys. It was awesome. We were boys being boys. I still have the chipped front tooth from a head butt I took during a free-for-all. 

• Like 1

We used to make elastic guns from broken hockey sticks, clothes pins and of course elastics.  They could easily take out an eye at close range. Thankfully no one lost one.  :DWe also had epic water/water balloon battles.  Upwards of 30 kids going nuts with water balloons, squirt guns and hoses.  Playing street hockey.  Probably impossible to do now.

• Like 1

In elementary school (4th through 6th grade) we would put two large soccer nets together to create an enclosure. Then two kids would go in and fight. This was during recess, and the teachers would be watching, but they never stopped it. 

We would build cannons out of tin cans and use lighter fluid to launch tennis balls wrapped in duct tape - actually, there was a lit of shit we would do with lighter fluid, fireworks, etc.

47 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

We used to play a game called “Ass”.  I dont remember all the rules, but it involved a tennis ball being thrown against a brick wall.

When you lost, the penalty was that you had to stand facing the wall, bent over, and the other players got to take turns whipping the tennis ball at your ass.

We played this too here in Brooklyn, except we called it suicide.  The rule was if the ball touched you after the wall and you dropped it you had to run to touch the wall before another player hit you with the ball.  If they got you first you had to stand against the wall and each player had a shot at you.  Got intense if you upgraded to a racquetball.  Miss playing that one.

• Like 2