Some Tuppador questions

robothunter

I have been looking for a good way to store my cigars and someone told me "Tupperware, Boveda 65%, done." So I have read through 7 pages of threads in this Humidor Tutorial section as well as other articles and videos online. I'm left with a few questions.

1) Boveda recommends 2 60g packs for every 50 cigars your humidor can hold. A piece of Tupperware isn't rated by the numbers of cigars it can hold, it's rated by volume. It's also an airtight environment, unlike a humidor which would naturally leak humidity. Assuming a 7 liter Tupperware container how many 60g (or 320g) Boveda packs would you recommend?

2) A video tutorial called tupperdors "high maintenance" because "as cigars age they release gases which need to be vented from the tupperdor by opening it once a week". Is this true? Nowhere else does anyone mention this. 

3) Is 65% the preferred humidity for Cuban cigars in a tupperdor? Reading through Ray's posts and watching his video on moisture content, temperature and rH I understand this to be a big limitation of the tupperdor. I have a cooler I'm probably going to put my tupperdor in to reduce the impact of temperature swings. My question is, without the temperature control of going to a wineador, would it be better to go with a 62% humidity pack as more of a buffer? If I double the amount of Boveda packs I need for the given volume can I essentially brute force the percent moisture content in the cigars? 

4) My last question is do I have to periodically rotate my cigars or can i just leave them label side up for years at a time?

Thanks

Not that I’m an expert but here goes.

1. Let’s say one liter holds 25 robustos. Seven liters would equal seven 60-gram bovedas. That said, I would go for ten, just to be sure and it won’t hurt the cigars as I understand it.

2 and 3. If you cannot control the temperature then lower RH is a good idea. For long term you want to be in low 60is and as before, the more bovedas the higher the likelihood of stable RH What RH? it’s up to you and your preference. As for venting gas, I asked the same thing and El Presidente basically said it does not matter and that some members age stock in vacuum seals.

4. This I do not know, but there is a rather funny tread on the subject. It derailed in a hilarious way.

Hope someone with more knowledge answers. 

I'd go with a few 60 g Bovidas. I'm using 58% in my desk top. It's humid here and just like Bovida says, the humidor is holding a little high at a solid 60 or 62%. That's perfect for me. A tupperdor is fine, if you are like most here you'll graduate to a coolerdor soon. Good luck and trust your own taste.

• 4 weeks later...