Change My Mind: Cellophane/naked is the only way to package a good cigar (CC or NC)

My friends give me grief over this opinion of mine, so I want to change my mind. Currently, I hold the belief that if a cigar (CC or NC) is foil wrapped/in a tubo it is hiding something/attempting to inflate the value of the stick by artificially injecting some mystery. Accepting that poor conditions will affect a cigar far beyond its container, all things being equal (quality cigar, beautifully created, perfect storage conditions), why do they want to hide it if it is good?

donttrust.PNG

tubos are convenient for travel, long term aging, and handing out to those who might be challenged to store them properly.

foil is a way to catch your eye or prevent damage while on a shelf awaiting sale.

cello is great protection from swings in humidity, as on a shelf awaiting sale.

all of these methods of packaging have merit.

• Like 1

Agreed, all these different packaging methods have their merit.

I think the myth that Tubed CC's are "rejects" or seconds of their untubed brethren has been thoroughly debunked. I've personally never noticed any quality difference between tubed/untubed cigars of the same type. Im not certain about NC's, but there are several CC's that only come tubed. The Monte Tubo and Upmann Corona Majors and Minors are the three I'm most familiar with. The added protection and minimized air exchange also help protect the cigar and some would say improve ageing long term. 

I agree that the cello and foil are less "useful" in the long term. Cello definitely helps minimize the effects of short term temp and humidity swings in a retail environment. It also protects the cigars, to a degree, on there way from the humidor to their ultimate demise. 

The foil is definitely harder to justify. I agree that it can provide some protection to the foot, maybe some limited protection from brief environmental swings, but its really about the looks. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm?  if you've ever cracked a Upmann Corona Major or Royal Corona with 20-30yrs on them...they are utterly fabulous cigars. I'm not so keen on them also containing the cedar, but I do think, long term sealed tubos, can offer a truly great cigar. 

Cellophane concerns me. Ultimately as it embrittles and breaks down, surely it must off gas something?.  I don't like lacquered boxes, cardboard, unstable plastics or anything that 'off gases' as it breaks down. 

When the production manifest shows 20000 Partagas D4 Tubos, there is no difference in terms of quality between those and a production run of 20000 Partagas Serie D Number 4 in dress boxes. 

When the production manifest shows 12000 Partagas Serie D Number 4  for dress boxes and 8000 Partagas Serie D Number 4 for Tubos in the same production run, you can bet your first born that every dodgy/ugly/freak stick goes into the Tubos. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tubos are the only thing I expect to get mold on sometimes in my humidors.   It happens elsewhere in the humis from time to time but consistently in the Tubos...... or maybe it’s plume!!!!?

24 minutes ago, DeskSmkr said:

What’s the mold in tubos caused by? How can it be prevented?

Enclosed space made of metal so it can't "breathe" like wooden dress boxes can. Also much less airflow going into the tube.

8 hours ago, Jack said:

How about glass tubes then?  Don't know if anyone does that anymore though.

By far the best aroma I've had of vintage (60's70's) cigars, stuff like Bauza, and Cifuentes, has been with Glass tubes.  Although i'm sure the slightly rubbery plastic stoppers are probably made of material that readily off gases. 

• Thanks 1

*Cedar lined tubos I'm very familiar with and very approving of: FOIL wrapped - that's a different one. The only foil wrapped cigar I've heard of to date is Daniel Marshall's gold foil $200 cigar. Hmm - I may try that some time - ordinary aluminum foil. I wish I did have gold foil enough to spare! (LOL)!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cigcars said:

*Cedar lined tubos I'm very familiar with and very approving of: FOIL wrapped - that's a different one. The only foil wrapped cigar I've heard of to date is Daniel Marshall's gold foil $200 cigar. Hmm - I may try that some time - ordinary aluminum foil. I wish I did have gold foil enough to spare! (LOL)!

Are we talking individual foil wrapped? If so, I believe the last cigars in production that were individually foil wrapped were Bolivar Gold Medal? But those were only half wrapped in foil. Otherwise presently, the only foil wrapped (non individual) are the RyJ Cazadores. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

ive had a love hate relationship with tubos, currently on the hate side.

aside from the moldy tendency on arrival in a few of the bunch, ive noticed a tangy metallic taste in some Boli tubos no1s from MUR13 and LRE09. 

I currently have an experiment in progress where i removed them all from their metal tubes and put them in sealed food storage containers with cedar and bovedas to see if i cant suck out the gross metallic taste and allow them to reconcile their great potential.  A friend suggested this, so im trying it, and look forward to having one in about a month or so longer to see where theyre at vs where they were.

cello is for NCs ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 99call said:

By far the best aroma I've had of vintage (60's70's) cigars, stuff like Bauza, and Cifuentes, has been with Glass tubes.  Although i'm sure the slightly rubbery plastic stoppers are probably made of material that readily off gases. 

I completely agree, which is the reason for my original question.  I have two elderly Partagas cigars - singles in glass tubes and in boxes that are both still in perfect condition.

I actually prefer tubed CC’s due to the fact that I prefer round cigars over box pressed. I also have the idea that the draw is better in tubes cigars over box pressed. 

On a simi related note while I agree that the packaging has a lot to do with advertising it doesn’t mean that the cigar is bad. By the same logic any cigar with multiple or fancy bands isn’t as good because they’re putting all the bands on it to make it seem better.

Kind of like you can’t judge a book by its cover the same is true of cigar packaging. 

9 hours ago, cigcars said:

This Tatuaje is made in collaboration with the Reynolds Corp.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Are we talking individual foil wrapped? If so, I believe the last cigars in production that were individually foil wrapped were Bolivar Gold Medal? But those were only half wrapped in foil. Otherwise presently, the only foil wrapped (non individual) are the RyJ Cazadores. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong

*You're right - I was thinking along the lines of individually foil wrapped. But yes, Romeo y Julieta Cazadores, the whole body of which is foil wrapped. You're right. Thanks!