Recommended Area to Stay

HDGSN

I am torn between staying in or very near Old Town Havana or in or very near Vedado/Nacional area and was hoping for some recommendations as to what is best based on details of my planned trip.

- 3 full days and 1 half day

- 1 of the full days is Christmas

- Plan is to book a driver for one full day that will take me and my wife around to see Alex, Melia and Partagas Factory shops but also to sight see the outer areas of Havana

- We want to eat at local restaurants - not trendy expensive ones.

- We want to be immersed in the culture and not some renovated AirBnB.

- The idea of staying with a family in a larger mansion in Vedado and sharing meals/drinks/cigars is appealing, but it seems like it would require taxis to go anywhere other than some of the hotels in the hotel district.

Based on all of this, are we better to stay in Old Town or in Vedado?

14 hours ago, HDGSN said:

I am torn between staying in or very near Old Town Havana or in or very near Vedado/Nacional area and was hoping for some recommendations as to what is best based on details of my planned trip.

- 3 full days and 1 half day

- 1 of the full days is Christmas

- Plan is to book a driver for one full day that will take me and my wife around to see Alex, Melia and Partagas Factory shops but also to sight see the outer areas of Havana

- We want to eat at local restaurants - not trendy expensive ones.

- We want to be immersed in the culture and not some renovated AirBnB.

- The idea of staying with a family in a larger mansion in Vedado and sharing meals/drinks/cigars is appealing, but it seems like it would require taxis to go anywhere other than some of the hotels in the hotel district.

Based on all of this, are we better to stay in Old Town or in Vedado?

Have you been to Cuba before?

I loved my "renovated AirBnB" lol I'm not down to stay in a shithole, and well....that's pretty much most of Cuba. You can still immerse yourselves in the culture and eat at paladars for every meal.