Duty Free Store Scam

garagedragon

Just a heads up for people purchasing cigars at the Jose Marti Airport Duty Free store in Terminal 3. There were two older women working behind the counter. For some reason, the main walk in humidor was empty, but the cabinet behind the register had cigars. I saw a few boxes that caught my eye, and asked to please see them. One woman got up on a small ladder, and showed me the box. I said I'll take them. It didn't dawn on me at that time, but she started pealing off the small price tag from the bottom of each of the boxes. I was preoccupied trying to get my CUC's together, and excited to find a few nice boxes. I found out later, after I checked the YUL list, she had tacked on 10 CUC for each box. Now, it certainly didn't bankrupt me, but my advise to everyone, is to know what the prices are before you make a purchase. Now I know why they were smiling so much, lol.

3 hours ago, garagedragon said:

Just a heads up for people purchasing cigars at the Jose Marti Airport Duty Free store in Terminal 3. There were two older women working behind the counter. For some reason, the main walk in humidor was empty, but the cabinet behind the register had cigars. I saw a few boxes that caught my eye, and asked to please see them. One woman got up on a small ladder, and showed me the box. I said I'll take them. It didn't dawn on me at that time, but she started pealing off the small price tag from the bottom of each of the boxes. I was preoccupied trying to get my CUC's together, and excited to find a few nice boxes. I found out later, after I checked the YUL list, she had tacked on 10 CUC for each box. Now, it certainly didn't bankrupt me, but my advise to everyone, is to know what the prices are before you make a purchase. Now I know why they were smiling so much, lol.

Uhhh yeah, feel lucky you even got them though. When I went through, I wouldn't even be let inside the humidor. The two older ladies were rude and essentially told me to leave. This was in the middle of the day, and it was not busy at all. I was the only one in there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 12:38 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

Uhhh yeah, feel lucky you even got them though. When I went through, I wouldn't even be let inside the humidor. The two older ladies were rude and essentially told me to leave. This was in the middle of the day, and it was not busy at all. I was the only one in there.

Yeah, but the only way they can make their 10 CUC's per box is to sell cigars.