100 Euro Note

Monterey

No issues here. I would try to make sure that I would get nothing higher than 50 cuc bills in return though, preferably 20s. Unless you're buying boxes of cigars, at the lcdh there really isn't any place that would accept or be able to break notes that large.

I didn't know that there are places that accept other currencies than CUC. The touristical places may accept but I can't see the point of not changing them just to save few bucks. No way I want to have a discussion with the waiter about his currency rate.

I always change Euros to CUC and just use it the whole trip.

I usually bring 100 bills but it depends on how much I want to spend. If I go bigger 200 or 500 bills make more sense.

Thanks all.  I'm asking to just carry less money to the currency exchange.  Last time I went my money belt was so fat, it was impossible to hide.  Plus I once got hit with the currency game that cuba plays.  Harder for them to cheat you when you hand them smaller amount of big bills.  This time I plan on counting out the money in front of them.

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2018 at 7:42 AM, Derboesekoenig said:

Are the 200 and 500 Euro notes hard to get in the states? Haven't specified before, but will have to try a few weeks before my next trip. I hated carrying a giant stack of cash last time

I got my money order today from the bank and it included 500's and 200's.   So yes, they are in circulation still.  Got my money from Wells Fargo.

• Like 1

500 euro notes are in circulation still, I got a few last week for a trip and they all looked new. There have been rumours for a couple of years now that they are to be discontinued due to studies that show their most common use is for money laundering and drug gangs. I'm hearing that very expensive watches are now the currency of choice for shifting illegal money across borders, since it became more difficult to deposit a suitcase full of cash in a bank.

Either way the €200 note will still be around, it still cuts €2,000 down to 10 notes. handy for Cuba.

I've never had a problem changing €500 or €200 notes anywhere in Cuba. They are all I bring since I was done two years in a row with the "disappearing €50 note" trick at the airport. Also a thick bundle of cash on a long trip is a pain.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:12 AM, Fuzz said:

Considering the 500 Euro note is discontinued, it may be harder to get.

5 hours ago, Monterey said:

I got my money order today from the bank and it included 500's and 200's.   So yes, they are in circulation still.  Got my money from Wells Fargo.

"The issuance of the €500 will be stopped around the end of 2018, when the €100 and €200 banknotes of the Europa series are planned to be introduced. The other denominations – from €5 to €200 – will remain in place."

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2016/html/pr160504.en.html

31 minutes ago, Ryan said:

500 euro notes are in circulation still, I got a few last week for a trip and they all looked new. There have been rumours for a couple of years now that they are to be discontinued due to studies that show their most common use is for money laundering and drug gangs. I'm hearing that very expensive watches are now the currency of choice for shifting illegal money across borders, since it became more difficult to deposit a suitcase full of cash in a bank.

Either way the €200 note will still be around, it still cuts €2,000 down to 10 notes. handy for Cuba.

I've never had a problem changing €500 or €200 notes anywhere in Cuba. They are all I bring since I was done two years in a row with the "disappearing €50 note" trick at the airport. Also a thick bundle of cash on a long trip is a pain.

The news I just posted is from 2016 so I think you in Europe will see brand new ones for some time yet.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2016/html/pr160504.en.html