How dry is too dry?

So my humidor is at 64-66° F  and 55% RH. I'm in no panic over this, and not adding water to the environment at this time.

Cigars are mostly fine at the temp/rh but I do get some cracked wrappers if I'm not delicate.

Any who, got me to thinking.... how dry is too dry in a humidor for the long and short term? 

If it smokes to your liking, then you are fine. If it smokes harsh, drop humidity if it smokes too fast and flavorless,  raise humidity.

I'm sure others with sciency sensibilities will chime in. I like keeping it simple.

• Like 4

" Cigars are mostly fine at the temp/rh but I do get some cracked wrappers if I'm not delicate."

asked and answered.

probably will adversely impact long term aging negatively.

Geaux, I am embarrassed by the behavior of my Rebels when they played your Tigers.  Discipline has gone out the  window with this bunch for some reason. Hope the tigers beat the bammers. 

As to your question, are you purposely keeping the rH at that level?  I like mine around 60-62 & have dry boxes around 55. Curious how that’s working for you. 

• Like 1

If it smokes to your liking, then you are fine. If it smokes harsh, drop humidity if it smokes too fast and flavorless,  raise humidity.
I'm sure others with sciency sensibilities will chime in. I like keeping it simple.
Bravo.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:12 PM, stogieluver said:

Geaux, I am embarrassed by the behavior of my Rebels when they played your Tigers.  Discipline has gone out the  window with this bunch for some reason. Hope the tigers beat the bammers. 

From your lips to the good Lord's ears!!

But the Gumps are the greatest football team in the history of ever - or so the ESPN talking heads seem to think...

As to your question, are you purposely keeping the rH at that level?  I like mine around 60-62 & have dry boxes around 55. Curious how that’s working for you. 

My aim is for around 60% in my temperature range... but just have not added water in the last year. I get a bit more proactive if my humidity goes above 65%... but have never worried about a bottom number. I have a New Air Winador set up. 36 bottle type. I don't plug it in, as it is in my basement which hovers around 64-66° F year round. I typically don't mess with the humidity until it's too cold out to have a cigar... then I go into maintenance/buying/fiddling mode. I suppose that will be in the next few weeks up here in the Pacific NW.

Mostly just wondering what the more experienced would say is their bottom number. My oldest cigars are only 10 years old... so I am still curious about the wisdom found among all the old farts on here.  ?

• 10 months later...