LCDH Doha - Garbage!

This was my first ever experience with a LCDH and it was not a good one! Not that the staff was bad, but the humidor selection was minimal and what was there was not good. All the hygrometers in the room read 73% and up which was really worrisome. They didn't have a single Montecristo in the building, and the lone RE's and LE's that they did have were in a "special" humidor on the floor that they said was privately owned and nothing in it was for sale. That humidor however had some beautiful Monte 80ths, Dantes, some QDO 50's, and a slew of RE's. What was available was a few different Upmanns, a half box of Trinidad Fundadores that felt like twizzlers they were so underfilled, a bunch of Cohiba Genios that had Colorado wrappers, and a box of Epicure De Luxe with rag tag wrappers that didn't look worth smoking.

I ended up going with a 2017 Genios, I found a box from 2014 but they let me know that those were also privately owned and not for sale. The cigar was a product of its storage conditions - draw was good, but in the first half the smoke was minimal due to the tobacco being wet. Flavors were muted but oh boy was it strong! The second half the flavors finally started to open up, and unfortunately this was when I had to call it quits. The two buddies I was with ended up going with a Reyes and a Siglo I and I didn't want to keep them to finish the cigar that was already subpar at best. Pictures at (https://www.instagram.com/josh.hooper7/)

I was thrilled to be able to go to an LCDH, but this experience leads me to believe that 24:24 is far superior. The selection at the store was hot garbage and made me realize how good we've got it here. Have any of you guys ever been really excited to go to a certain cigar related store/location only to be let down? Share your stories below!

Cheers,

Josh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was my first ever experience with a LCDH and it was not a good one! Not that the staff was bad, but the humidor selection was minimal and what was there was not good. All the hygrometers in the room read 73% and up which was really worrisome. They didn't have a single Montecristo in the building, and the lone RE's and LE's that they did have were in a "special" humidor on the floor that they said was privately owned and nothing in it was for sale. That humidor however had some beautiful Monte 80ths, Dantes, some QDO 50's, and a slew of RE's. What was available was a few different Upmanns, a half box of Trinidad Fundadores that felt like twizzlers they were so underfilled, a bunch of Cohiba Genios that had Colorado wrappers, and a box of Epicure De Luxe with rag tag wrappers that didn't look worth smoking.
I ended up going with a 2017 Genios, I found a box from 2014 but they let me know that those were also privately owned and not for sale. The cigar was a product of its storage conditions - draw was good, but in the first half the smoke was minimal due to the tobacco being wet. Flavors were muted but oh boy was it strong! The second half the flavors finally started to open up, and unfortunately this was when I had to call it quits. The two buddies I was with ended up going with a Reyes and a Siglo I and I didn't want to keep them to finish the cigar that was already subpar at best. Pictures at (https://www.instagram.com/josh.hooper7/)
I was thrilled to be able to go to an LCDH, but this experience leads me to believe that 24:24 is far superior. The selection at the store was hot garbage and made me realize how good we've got it here. Have any of you guys ever been really excited to go to a certain cigar related store/location only to be let down? Share your stories below!
Cheers,
Josh
So sad to hear that. This is the reason why I am decided to get high quality CCs from FoH all the time...

나의 SHV-E300S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

That's a pretty terrible experience!  There should be some way of reporting this to Habanos given LCDH outlets are supposed to uphold a high standard.

How was the selection at Doha airport?  I've just booked a flight through there as it was cheaper than through DXB but I've read cigars are not worth it in Qatar generally...

30 minutes ago, mt1 said:

That's a pretty terrible experience!  There should be some way of reporting this to Habanos given LCDH outlets are supposed to uphold a high standard.

How was the selection at Doha airport?  I've just booked a flight through there as it was cheaper than through DXB but I've read cigars are not worth it in Qatar generally...

I'm currently on deployment so we didn't go through the airport, but I did pay $50 for the Genios. I think Doha is a lost cause for Cigars lol

24 minutes ago, joshhooper7 said:

I'm currently on deployment so we didn't go through the airport, but I did pay $50 for the Genios. I think Doha is a lost cause for Cigars lol

Ah that's the middle east alright.  If you get a chance while you're there, do visit the Museum of Islamic Arts in Doha, it has a super impressive collection of artifacts.  Don't miss the robot camel jockey racing either.  If you do get some R&R while you're in Qatar, there are some cool abandoned villages in the desert and along the coast mostly in the west and north that you can check out.

They didn't have a single Montecristo in the building, and the lone RE's and LE's that they did have were in a "special" humidor on the floor that they said was privately owned and nothing in it was for sale. That humidor however had some beautiful Monte 80ths, Dantes, 

?

Almost every single LCDH and any B+M I have ever been in has always kept their RH high. One major reason is to combat against the constant opening and closing of the door to the humidor. The constant air exchange is not helpful to cigars resting at all. 

Another is to help the tourist who comes into the shop, buys two cigars to bring home and only smokes them a day or two later. By then the RH will have dropped to a confortable level.

You knew the cigar was stored at a high humidity, you still decided to drop $50 and smoke it on the spot....what did you expect?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shlomo said:

You knew the cigar was stored at a high humidity, you still decided to drop $50 and smoke it on the spot....what did you expect?

I didn't expect much from the cigar, rather I expected a lot from the location as it was my first time to an LCDH. I went there to smoke a cigar and enjoy myself and I wasn't going to let a bad cigar get in the way of that, seeing as none of the cigars there were 'good.' I'd rather roll the dice on a Cohiba than buy a green Magnum 46.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I've been to many airports in the ME and DXB has many good different cigar shops available but I highly recommend to only buy at the Departure/Transit area terminal, the Arrival cigar shop was bug infested last time I went!

Good stock in general plus regional and limited editions available. 

Most cigar lounges and shops in the cities that sell retail keep their stock very humid for the local clients traveling in the region, as the air is extremely dry and hot in general so to balance that they sell them very humid. 

As @shlomo pointed out, they'll get back in shape within a day or two. 

When I've wanted to smoke at any lounge in the region I've asked for cigars that are ready to go. Never had any burn issues. Despite the extra coffee steam! 

Most didn't like the regional Ammunition but personally I loved it! (LCDH Dubai) 

Screenshot_20210628-220448_Instagram.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That stinks. I almost want to blame it on the region and how a particular country views tobacco as it is a stimulant. Fatwa or no.

That said, I've only been purchasing (now that I've slowed down) from LCDH Knokke and FOH. It's really been eye opening in that I'm seriously considering cutting open random sticks from other vendors to see if they're real. The difference is so extreme its just unreal to me. Have I been buying fakes this whole time? Who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meesterjojo said:

That stinks. I almost want to blame it on the region and how a particular country views tobacco as it is a stimulant. Fatwa or no.

That said, I've only been purchasing (now that I've slowed down) from LCDH Knokke and FOH. It's really been eye opening in that I'm seriously considering cutting open random sticks from other vendors to see if they're real. The difference is so extreme its just unreal to me. Have I been buying fakes this whole time? Who knows.

I've got a feeling if the alcohol in the Dubai duty free isn't of poor quality, it has nothing to do with the region. I remember Singapore's duty free was awful. Cardboard boxes of cubans warped from moisture. Crazy expensive too. Dubai's duty free for cigars is the best I've seen. Smoked the greatest Siglo II of my life from there. 

Probably more about careless storage and lack of attention, which will plague any shop. Seoul didn't even have Cuban cigars.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:

I've got a feeling if the alcohol in the Dubai duty free isn't of poor quality, it has nothing to do with the region. I remember Singapore's duty free was awful. Cardboard boxes of cubans warped from moisture. Crazy expensive too. Dubai's duty free for cigars is the best I've seen. Smoked the greatest Siglo II of my life from there. 

Probably more about careless storage and lack of attention, which will plague any shop. Seoul didn't even have Cuban cigars.

There are some CCs in Korean duty free shops (both Seoul and ICN), but the storage condition is far from the best and selection is extremely poor with steep price tag compare to FOH. Even worse, Korean B&Ms sell CCs with even higher price tag like Canada and they always keep cigars in super humid setting. Because of this, my Korean FOH BOTLs exclusively use FOH 24:24 CCs with passion like me since I introduced FOH 24:24 to them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

There are some CCs in Korean duty free shops (both Seoul and ICN), but the storage condition is far from the best and selection is extremely poor with steep price tag compare to FOH. Even worse, Korean B&Ms sell CCs with even higher price tag like Canada and they always keep cigars in super humid setting. Because of this, my Korean FOH BOTLs exclusively use FOH 24:24 CCs with passion like me since I introduced FOH 24:24 to them.

Ahh, I looked at Incheon but must not have been in the right spot. Sounds like I didn't miss much. I did a business outing to "Burn in Hal" and the cigars were definitely spendy, and pretty wet, but it was my first cigar bar experience and it was enjoyable. 

I mostly smoked what I brought in the hotel smoking lounge. Korea is such a beautiful country. Hope I get to go back! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Ahh, I looked at Incheon but must not have been in the right spot. Sounds like I didn't miss much. I did a business outing to "Burn in Hal" and the cigars were definitely spendy, and pretty wet, but it was my first cigar bar experience and it was enjoyable. 

I mostly smoked what I brought in the hotel smoking lounge. Korea is such a beautiful country. Hope I get to go back! 

Much agreed buddy! CCs in Korean B&Ms are really wet for my taste and pricey as Canada and Australia nowadays (already more $$$ than UK few years ago). One of my Korean FOH BOTLs just told me a 25ct Dress Box of Partagas Lusitanias costs ₩1375000 ($1216) at official CC B&M in Korea, which made me shocked even more 😱. Thankfully, there are some cigar lounges that allow bringing my CCs in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do, which enables me to puff FOH 24:24 cigars freely (feel free to see'em on my signature) 😄.

For duty free shops in ICN, they can only be accessed at its departure area unlike other airports. I myself have been there few times and their storage condition is still piss poor as before (CCs being stored without Walk-in Humidor in these shops). Hope that I can reach ya when you're in Korea buddy 😆.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Dubai's duty free for cigars is the best I've seen.

Bought a truckload of boxes from DXB DF and never had a dud, great place to buy Habanos, always happy with their quality and selection. Sorry I have no chance to fly there anymore.

8 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Dubai Has some really great cigar shops. 

Plus 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nino said:

Bought a truckload of boxes from DXB DF and never had a dud, great place to buy Habanos, always happy with their quality and selection. Sorry I have no chance to fly there anymore.

Plus 2.

I've purchased a lot from both duty free and the shops around dubai

• Like 1