Question for the Partagas Presidentes fans.

So I had never had the Presidentes before this year. I was wary of Cuban figurados becauce of a bunch of bad experiences with Cuabas in the past

This spring I bought one at my local B&M store, on a complete whim and let me tell you, I was under it's spell!

To the point where I basically finished his box by picking one up everytime I was in the area. I just love them.

The construction is perfect everytime. It has that leather, coffee and Partagas thing going on. It's profile evolves dramatically, the balance changing but always satisfying. Just the platonic idea of an old school cuban, and of a figurado for me.

Thing is, I kinda never bothered to check the date or code on that box at the B&M. I'm guessing it was a few years old but no more than 3 IMO.

I wanna buy a box from our host. But are they good right now? If you bought a box recently, how does it smoke? Is the construction good?  Are they sick? 

Also, how old do you like them? I feel like they'd be better in the youngish side, but could see aging these.

So, what do you think?

Presidentes can be a great Partagas. I've had some inconsistency in both flavor and construction within boxes but it's got a generally high batting average. 

I think they're just behind the 898 for the standard line. I've had some that were better than some 898s. Some say they're a bit more earthy than the 898 and I won't challenge that. 

I think both the Presidentes and the 898 age about the same. After 7-8 years they get much more refined and a gentle toasted tobacco starts to come in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ponfed said:

So, what do you think?

They have always had a small but loyal following. 

Then since 2016 (from memory) the quality of tobacco used exploded.  It was never a strong suit. 

Rivals the Fonseca 1 and PLPC as the best dollar for dollar value proposition. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Rivals the Fonseca 1 and PLPC as the best dollar for dollar value proposition. 

Funny you should mention the Fonseca no 1. Smoked a Presidente out of a GOS 18 box ROTT yesterday. I was looking forward to having my doors blown off, but after a lovely spell of porcini and sweet leathery paprika that took me up to the bulb. It the turned into a super light bodied floral vanilla/marshmallow Fonseca No1 clone. Very surprised and pretty disappointed. Along with the 898 since 2008, the partagas "big boppers" (as Ken would put it). Seem to be  getting neutered. Don't get me wrong it was a lovely cigar. But are we now retreating to R&J cazzies and dark JL2 for the full body choice?

I'll smoke another out of the box to see if it wasn't a one off. But it would be really sad if HSA stopped making genuinely full bodied cigars.

I've had enough misses (some hits) with the Presidentes that I generally don't bother with them anymore (smoked 2016-2017 box dates).  I'd rather take my chances on cheaper Partagas sticks, since they have similar hit and miss rates in my experience.

1 hour ago, mt1 said:

I've had enough misses (some hits) with the Presidentes that I generally don't bother with them anymore (smoked 2016-2017 box dates).  I'd rather take my chances on cheaper Partagas sticks, since they have similar hit and miss rates in my experience.

Was it construction, flavor, or both that left to be desired?

Cause the box at the B&M was a couple of years old, no more. I'd bet on it. It would fall in that range.

So I might have been lucky with it. Or you've been unlucky... 

At any rate, it seems to be out of stock everywhere right now.

So I guess I'll just wait for it to show up at a 24:24. Cause I just loved them, and I'd like to know how they age!

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

GOS 18

ROTT

..you got exactly what I would have expected :D

I wasn't expecting the cigar to perform well. All I wanted to do was to guage the body of the cigar. I hear what your saying to a degree, but surely your not saying a full body cigar, can appear light bodied due to insuficient put down time.   Every full bodied cigar I've had ROTT since starting smoking, has appeared either, harsh, strong, bitter, etc. 

Being closed is one thing, but surely a cigar I happily smoked on top of a light breakfast, is not going to become a dark brooding powerhouse in a year or so? 

I'm not suggesting it's not possible. Just that I've never come across this.

4 minutes ago, 99call said:

I wasn't expecting the cigar to perform well. All I wanted to do was to guage the body of the cigar. I hear what your saying to a degree, but surely your not saying a full body cigar, can appear light bodied due to insuficient put down time.   Every full bodied cigar I've had ROTT since starting smoking, has appeared either, harsh, strong, bitter, etc. 

Being closed is one thing, but surely a cigar I happily smoked on top of a light breakfast, is not going to become a dark brooding powerhouse in a year or so? 

I'm not suggesting it's not possible. Just that I've never come across this.

Of course, my descriptor is only the way I have experienced them. 

"There is an earthiness, light coffee, leather and a touch of spice in a sometimes ballsy delivery"

I think in the main most are right on mid bodied these days with a couple that really surprise you. 

However, I do believe that water content can influence body significantly.  Take a Monte 4 at 75%, 65% and 55%  RH. I would lay london to a brick that the 55 will be the most powerful. 

Actually a really good experiment to follow up the last "wetting the wrapper" video. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

I have a box ALO AUG 16.  It's probably my favorite (fresh) Partagas right now.  Flavors are there, but as El pres says, more mid-bodied.  Not much spice. 

I have some ALO DIC 16. Definitely agree.  Construction has been top notch as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Wasn't the recent GOS codes Prez put up were those super dark oily presidentes? I can't imagine them smoking light, they have to be more on the full to harsh side right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep GOS 18 are a beautiful code for these. I missed out of the ones FOH put up. And had to find a box somewhere else. And yep I was hoping they would be full. Saying that I'll definitely take Robs advice on board, and see if they ramp up a little once they've dried out. 

I'm going to stock up on R&J Cazzies. As they still seem to be powerhouses. 

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

One of the stronger regular Partagas.  I think you'll be safe on a current box.  Presidentes in some eras were blah.  Try the Culebras while at it.

Yeah, the culebra thread got me thinking about the Presidentes and if I should get a box or two already.?

1 hour ago, ponfed said:

Yeah, the culebra thread got me thinking about the Presidentes and if I should get a box or two already.?

For Figurado's, I really like the Cuaba Distinguido and Salomones.  Both are high quality cigars.

1 hour ago, 99call said:

I struggle to keep focus with Diademas, that said, if they brought back the Gran Gener, I'd be tempted. 

As long as they are burning fine, I enjoy Diademas and A's.

12 hours ago, ponfed said:

Was it construction, flavor, or both that left to be desired?

Cause the box at the B&M was a couple of years old, no more. I'd bet on it. It would fall in that range.

So I might have been lucky with it. Or you've been unlucky... 

At any rate, it seems to be out of stock everywhere right now.

So I guess I'll just wait for it to show up at a 24:24. Cause I just loved them, and I'd like to know how they age!

Honestly construction was alright, the flavors just varied wildly sometimes.

I am a fan of the presidentes and have a couple boxes. My best right now are ALO 2016 they are rich earthy tobacco and med to med-full strength. I have '14s i think are EAG coded and the wrappers are a bit light. I like them but the 16's are outperforming them at the moment.