Have you ever wondered.....

....about the answers to questions of the mostly useless variety? But you’ve just gotta know? I do, but then I was never like the rest of the kids.

For example, a jetliner cruising high over the Pacific at 30,000 feet suddenly loses engine power completely. How far will it go before it reaches zero on the altimeter?

I figure we’re a pretty diverse bunch here, and someone will likely have a qualified estimate. Knowing will at least help with my drink order if the situation ever arises.

Consider this a safe place to post any other burning questions that keep you awake at night. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

....about the answers to questions of the mostly useless variety? But you’ve just gotta know? I do, but then I was never like the rest of the kids.

For example, a jetliner cruising high over the Pacific at 30,000 feet suddenly loses engine power completely. How far will it go before it reaches zero on the altimeter?

I figure we’re a pretty diverse bunch here, and someone will likely have a qualified estimate. Knowing will at least help with my drink order if the situation ever arises.

Consider this a safe place to post any other burning questions that keep you awake at night. 

Depending on the wind, and size of plane, a 747 - around 100 miles give or take. 

• Like 1

I didn't know this Gimli story but hard to believe it ran out of fuel.

I think at the very moment the jets stop working the plane fall like a rock. Not 90 degrees of course.

@nino ?

My question is: why sugar makes things sweeter? I mean, we don't feel taste of sugar. We feel the taste of the aliment but sweeter - and not the taste of the aliment + sugar. Same thing with salt. I know, I am not being clear but I hope some of you see my point.

4 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Hey Island boy, great thread. :)

I'll have a stab at the question, hope someone knows the full answer.

My guess is the jetliner could glide/travel around 150 km or 93 miles.

This is based on the fact that almost all commercial planes have a glide ratio of 15:1 and 20:1. So say it's a 747 (Glide ration is around 15:1/17.1) , it would as such (Loosely) glide for about 20 minutes under favorable conditions. 

• Like 2

Some excellent answers so far, now I know. Under the circumstances, chugtugash is probably out of the question, but 2 out of 3 is a definite maybe :lol3:

• Haha 1

I have a real one now. 

I`d like someone to explain to the group the concept of coal gas, or city gas, as an utility in big cities in the 19th and 20th century.

When did it start being used, when was it replaced with natural gasses. How is it produced from coal, or maybe other carbon forms.

Any interesting or weird factoid associated with it`s use, any legal battles, technological challenges, unintended consequences and such 

would be appreciated. 

I don`t know why I picked this subject and these questions, but expand on them as you wish.

So it would seem Canadians are quite skilled at piloting aircraft, but could use a little work on their fuel management:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here’s another question I often ponder: Who came up with the concept of naming hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones? And who has the actual job of doing so? Is it done each year by committee, or is an employee simply tasked with this? Inquiring minds want to know.

14 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Here’s another question I often ponder: Who came up with the concept of naming hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones? And who has the actual job of doing so? Is it done each year by committee, or is an employee simply tasked with this? Inquiring minds want to know.

It was sometime in the 50s. Some US weather branch figured out it would be easier to give the storms unique names rather than referring to them by year and number of formation. This made it easier for ships crossing the Atlantic to know what the storms they were trying to avoid were doing. 

50 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

I believe these people came up with the idea - the National Hurricane Center :

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I always check the website for updates and information - highly interesting !

I have a question. 

I wear sterling silver rings a large stainless steel watch and with stainless steel bracelet and belt with a stainless steel belt buckle. 

If I walk through airport security scanner the alarm beeps. 

I walk back out, take off my belt and walk back through.....green light comes up and I am all clear. 

Why doesn't the alarm/scanner go off?  I still have on my SS watch and rings etc?  The watch is the same metal as the belt buckle?

:thinking:

4 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I have a question. 

I wear sterling silver rings a large stainless steel watch and with stainless steel bracelet and belt with a stainless steel belt buckle. 

I walk back out, take off my belt and walk back through.....green light comes up and I am all clear. 

Why doesn't the alarm/scanner go off?  I still have on my SS watch and rings etc?  The watch is the same metal as the belt buckle?

The belt is a different quality stainless steel. The others are made of a higher quality non-ferromagnetic, stainless steel, which will not set off the larger scanners/alarms.

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

I have a question. 

The scan shows the position of the metal on your body. Belt being around it is suspicious, take it off and rings on your fingers or watch on your wrist is no problem - I guess.... never beeen able to find out myself ... ?

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

I have a question. 

TSA told me it’s the amount of metal that is the determining factor. Large metal buckle sets it off so you have to take your belt off.  Small rings, glasses do not. I would think a watch would set it off but mine does not. 

But in the end, who knows?  On the way to Chicago, my shoes did not trigger the alarm.  Leaving Chicago, the alarm goes off and I have to remove my shoes even though I have TSA pre-check.  

I just go with the flow and don’t make a scene.  And that seems to work. 

Hey Island boy, great thread.
I'll have a stab at the question, hope someone knows the full answer.
My guess is the jetliner could glide/travel around 150 km or 93 miles.
This is based on the fact that almost all commercial planes have a glide ratio of 15:1 and 20:1. So say it's a 747 (Glide ration is around 15:1/17.1) , it would as such (Loosely) glide for about 20 minutes under favorable conditions. 
Ok (and I am sure Smitty has thought of this) - under said conditions; one would also need to consider direction of travel said doomed aircraft was going. If traveling Easterly the distance would be less than if traveling Westerly. This being due to the Earth's rotation. Additionally at what Latitude would need to be considered - closer to the Equator the rotation is quicker and will result in greater distance covered before reaching the goal of "Altitude Zero".

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fatshotbud said:

Ok (and I am sure Smitty has thought of this) - under said conditions; one would also need to consider direction of travel said doomed aircraft was going. If traveling Easterly the distance would be less than if traveling Westerly. This being due to the Earth's rotation. Additionally at what Latitude would need to be considered - closer to the Equator the rotation is quicker and will result in greater distance covered before reaching the goal of "Altitude Zero".

Now that’s what I’m talking about...attention to the finer details. I would say temperature (daytime vs night time) plays a role too, higher equals better lift and thus longer glide? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fatshotbud said:

The earth rotates at approx 1000 mph at the equator.

If you jumped up and hung in the air for 1 second, would you come down 1400 feet from where you started? 

• Like 1