this year's biggest imbecile - unbelievable.

<s1>&#xA; Daniel Nielsen-Titus sits in disbelief in his boat while the idiotic fisherman behind him stands shoulder deep in water at croc-infested Shoal Bay’s Hope Inlet &#xA;</s1> &#xA;<ld pattern=" " /> &#xA;<source></source>Picture: : Simon Bochow

Daniel Nielsen-Titus sits in disbelief in his boat while the idiotic fisherman behind him stands shoulder deep in water at croc-infested Shoal Bay’s Hope Inlet

Picture: : Simon Bochow

Croc-head snapped fishing chest-deep in water in inlet where 59 crocs have been removed this year

LAUREN ROBERTS, NT News
October 23, 2018 9:02pm
  •  

TERRITORY fisherman Simon Bochow is urging “dumb” anglers not to risk life and limb for a barra after watching one bloke casting a line in chest-deep, croc-infested water.

“Don’t risk your life for a fish, it’s not worth it,” he said.

Mr Bochow was in a boat fishing at Shoal Bay’s Hope Inlet for three hours over the weekend and said the entire time he was there, an angler was standing in the croc-infested water.

Mr Bochow said he was “gobsmacked” by the behaviour, as there was a 2.5m croc caught in a trap about 40m away, and stinger season was well underway in the Top End.

“Him and his mate had walked up to a hole and were standing out there fishing,” Mr Bochow said.

“To start with, his mate was standing by the bank, eventually he came in to join him.”

Mr Bochow thoughtfully swung his boat around and warned the duo of the crocodile risk but said the determined fishos simply shrugged the warning off.

“I’m born and bred Territory and I’ve fished all my life,” he said.

“They do trap a lot of crocodiles there.

“I’ve seen people trapped in boats there by the tide, that area is really shallow.”

Mr Bochow said the two men had walked to the fishing spot from a landing nearby.

After their dangerous fishing trip wrapped up, Mr Bochow said the pair had no option but to swim half the way back to the landing.

“I wouldn’t be doing that,” he said. “It’s a bit dumb.”

On a practical note, Mr Bochow said he and mate Daniel Nielsen-Titus reeled in a fair few fish that day.

“I didn’t see them catch any fish,” Mr Bochow added.

Primary Industry and Resources Minister Ken Vowles slammed the fisho’s behaviour.

“Be croc wise d**khead,” he posted on Twitter.

“Seriously how many times do you have to tell people?

“There were 371 crocs caught last year in the NT and 285 so far this year – 59 where this numbnut is fishing.”

Senior wildlife ranger Tom Nichols told Tales from the Tinny he was “quite shocked” when he saw the photograph.

“For someone to be swimming and carrying on like that, it’s a pretty big risk to take,” he said.

• Like 1

Keep fishing there and there will be one less imbecile 

isnhe a Queenslander ?