Repurposing old tubes

19 minutes ago, mtd057 said:

I never throw away tubes and I use them when I travel to keep my stash safe.  I pack the tubes in a ziplock bag, throw them in my luggage or briefcase, and away I go.  I never have to worry about a crushed or broken stick.  

Me too. 

I tend to keep them and use them to take cigars out with me. Stops the cigars getting damaged and crushed in my pocket or bag, and the little slip of cedar in the tube helps to keep humidity in the cigar for the trip out.

There is one down side - ask me how I know ? If the cigar tube gets crushed in your bag, getting the cigar back out of the tube afterwards without damaging it is nigh on impossible!

I did have a mate that took a couple of tubes off me a few years ago as he said they were a good size for making fancy pocket flashlights.

• Like 1

I see some work colleagues in my travels to the US who have husbands that enjoy cigars but don’t get many Cubans so I put them in tubes so they don’t get crushed waiting for the hand off. 

3 hours ago, WABOOM said:

I take the cedar sheet out of the tube. Throw away most of the tubes. I keep the cedar in a mason jar. I use it for lighting my cigars. I also put the cedar around some of my singles and customs with a ponytail binder for protection and aging. 7ef34842c13d1a07559107a8c9c25592.jpg9d1bc4d82487d9155b1473247ade32dc.jpg

Interesting.  I save them for the intention of using them as spills- but 95% of the time I light up outdoors and it's just not feasible.  I like the idea of wrapping singles with them.

1 hour ago, BarryNY said:

i keep them in an open plastic bag in the cabinet humidor with the tops off - to have the little piece of cedar inside be conditioned at 65% RH.

then when i'm taking cigars out - i put the cigars i want into these seasoned tubes, seal them and slide them into the carry pouch of my custom made leather cigar case...it holds the "perfecdraw" tool too!

cigar pouch w tubo up.jpg

Thats a really nice case.  Where did you get it?

i keep them in an open plastic bag in the cabinet humidor with the tops off - to have the little piece of cedar inside be conditioned at 65% RH.
then when i'm taking cigars out - i put the cigars i want into these seasoned tubes, seal them and slide them into the carry pouch of my custom made leather cigar case...it holds the "perfecdraw" tool too!

1629115403_cigarpouchwtuboup.thumb.jpg.cd094f76bd18bd02b504e4bc0cdf94af.jpg
Who makes the case? I probably can't afford it. I love the Perfecdraw holder.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kalibratecuba said:

Hi.  I have them custom hand made for me....

• 6 months later...

With the recent 24:24 I was searching for a similar post and found this one.  I love getting tubos whenever I can and I use my empty tubos as travel packs for single.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with repacking them from a dress box or cab and age the "newly upgraded tubo"?  Aside from the square peg round hole issue with a box press, it seems like it could be a neat experience to do a taste test after some years down.  Doubt I have the patience for that though.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, kalibratecuba said:

This guy on Instagram makes a similar case. His are $149 

www.michaelnoelleleatherworx.com

E69391B8-DDE8-4F15-B833-29E868909476.png

On 10/27/2018 at 12:13 PM, MD Puffer said:

Re-using them for cigar use again is a given.  I really like that display above.  I was just wondering if anyone found any practical uses for them.

*The empty tubes are great for storing dimes inside of 

I haven't done this yet but was planning on using them for:

1.) pen holders
2.) poking holes and using for salt + pepper
3.) drilling hole in top and turning into Xmas ornaments
4.) I'm a session recording percussionists, so maybe tossing some rice or grounds and turning them into shaker instruments

• Like 1