To exchange or not to exchange...

ElJavi76

I've gone ahead and exchanged for Euros prior to my trip in two weeks. 

I've heard a couple of different things regarding buying things WITH euros rather exchanging first. If in fact you can but things with Euros... Does the exchange rate for Euros differ from shop to shop? Can you buy things with Euros at restaurants and things to the effect as well?

Is there a benefit to exchanging Euros into CUC prior to buying/spending? Risk of getting right change? Want to hear some thoughts from you guys.

Thank you all

I have always converted. Some places will accept foreign currency, but not all, and they will all try to scam you. This includes the bank, cadeca or hotel front desks. Personally, I exchange a couple hundred CUC at a time until it is cigar shopping time. Then, all of it...lol

• Thanks 1

I think we discussed that few weeks ago.

My argument still the same: not worth the hassle of working with different rates every time you pay for something. Besides the obviously possible scam I am there to relax. I don't want to go to the exchange game every time I use my money.

And if you save you will save few Euros. Again, not worth the hassle.

When I was younger for sure I would ask most of the times if the place accepts Euros. Not anymore 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

I've gone ahead and exchanged for Euros prior to my trip in two weeks. 

I've heard a couple of different things regarding buying things WITH euros rather exchanging first. If in fact you can but things with Euros... Does the exchange rate for Euros differ from shop to shop? Can you buy things with Euros at restaurants and things to the effect as well?

Is there a benefit to exchanging Euros into CUC prior to buying/spending? Risk of getting right change? Want to hear some thoughts from you guys.

Thank you all

Javi, when will you be there?

Correct if I am wrong but I think you said that you have Cuban relatives (or you are Cuban) and don't see them for almost your whole life, right? 

2 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

@oliverdst

I do have aunts there and some cousins I've never met. I'll be there 11/10-17, two weeks from today. I grew up away from everyone so these folks are almost carictures to me. I haven't been there in 38 years. Lots of nervous excitement sprinkled with a little anxiety. 

Yes, I remember your story. Happy for you.

Do you know that many FoH members will be there in this period, right? Rob arranged some get togethers on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. Another member (corylax18) arranged a Hector's finca day trip to the same Sunday. 

• Thanks 1