Tupperdor Help and Advice

BDSpiritual1

Good morning / afternoon / evening everybody!

I've browsed around the forum and used the search feature but still needed to start up this forum! Hopefully, that's okay?

Based on all the feedback and suggestions I gathered, I setup a tupperdor that sits very nicely at 62% RH. It's relatively stable but have noticed a few times as of late where it has dropped to 60/61% (maybe due to weather and heat being low during the day when I'm not home) and has gone as high as 64% at least once based on the hygrometer.  Don't mind the low reading in the picture. That only happens when I open the box to add or re-sort. 

Thanks the our wonderful 24:24 deals, I've managed to collect quite an assortment of quarter boxes and singles with more on the way thanks to this week! 

As such, I really need your help and input to know if I am on the right path or what I might need to tweak to support more cigars before they arrive!

Currently, I've used old cigar boxes as my trays and I've had to stagger them due to the size of my Tupperdor. I've also lined the tupperdor with cedar sheets. I'm using a 320g Boveda pack to sustain my humidity. With more cigars on the way, would it be safe to continue this process or would I need to do something differently like drill holes in the trays for my air circulation?

Right now, I also have about 38 NCs in a separate cigar box/cab but they are in the tupperdor as well. If needed, I may need to relocate them into something else to keep this one strictly for CCs but in the mean time this is what my setup is.

I've included pictures for reference. 

Any help, advice, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

IMG_20181101_191246.thumb.jpg.dc9901b2677e11a086ae7d5d112294ad.jpg

IMG_20181101_191154.thumb.jpg.096f2d85d135f2b1fed75b2b8ed60908.jpg

IMG_20181101_190710.thumb.jpg.8cdc9dbb5d93a0750fab78a8912aaab9.jpg

IMG_20181101_191009.thumb.jpg.182b742fa57c69af6874a5e96c0ea584.jpg

IMG_20181101_191014.thumb.jpg.bf45fa6becd53a9f125a85f9b82195dc.jpg

• Like 1

NCs seem to smoke better when stored at a higher RH relative to what CCs prefer. Don't worry about the RH swings, that is completely normal when opening and closing. I wouldn't worry about anything from 57%-69%. I would separate the NCs though if you continue to enjoy them. Can always add another Boveda. Not necessary since you use a good bit of cedar, but just extra protection. Also, it takes a lot of time for fluctuation to affect cigars. Cigars left out of the tupperware for a a day aren't going to be affected too much. So obviously an hour or less will do next to nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

NCs seem to smoke better when stored at a higher RH relative to what CCs prefer. Don't worry about the RH swings, that is completely normal when opening and closing. I wouldn't worry about anything from 57%-69%. I would separate the NCs though if you continue to enjoy them. Can always add another Boveda. Not necessary since you use a good bit of cedar, but just extra protection. Also, it takes a lot of time for fluctuation to affect cigars. Cigars left out of the tupperware for a a day aren't going to be affected too much. So obviously an hour or less will do next to nothing.

Thanks for that input @Derboesekoenig.

I think I might separate them but I'll have to figure out how.

However, my main concern is the air circulation if I continue to stack the trays as I have been doing now. I've been trying to stagger them so there are areas that are exposed but as I add more boxes as trays I am not sure if I can continue this pattern. Do you know if it's okay? Do I need to keep areas exposed or can I just stack them on top even of its flush?

I can only speak for myself and from my experience with my own tupperdors, but mine have been just fine with very little air circulation. I have about 20 boxes “Tetris’ed” into each one and there are very few open spaces in there.

Once they were proven to be airtight, once my hygrometers were calibrated, and once I quit opening them to fiddle with them every 15 minutes, everything stabilized just fine. I’m still using the same Bovedas (large and medium sizes) that I started with a year and a half ago. The cigars on top, middle and bottom all smoke well. 

Good luck with your project! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RazorbackFan said:

I can only speak for myself and for my experience with my own tupperdors, but mine have been just fine with very little air circulation. I have about 20 boxes “Tetris’ed” into each one and there are very few open spaces in there.

Once they were proven to be airtight, once my hygrometers were calibrated, and once I quit opening them to fiddle with them every 15 minutes, everything stabilized just fine. I’m still using the same Bovedas (large and medium sizes) that I started with a year and a half ago. The cigars on top, middle and bottom all smoke well. 

Good luck with your project! 

Thanks @RazorbackFan.

Good to know!! Hope it's airtight though I haven't been noticing much swings. I guess I'll find out if the 320g pack dries out fast. Also, I'm sure these old boxes I got from a local cigar shop are sucking up some humidity as well when they get put in.

Sounds like I'm on the right path and can stack them without worry! 

Eventually the rh will stabilize once the dried out boxes suck up enough humidity. I have a large ziplock tupperdor (can’t recomend these enough) running at a steady 57% for long term aging. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M777 said:

Eventually the rh will stabilize once the dried out boxes suck up enough humidity. I have large ziplock (can’t recomend these enough) tupperdor running at a steady 57% for long term aging. 

Thanks @M777. That's my assumption as well. Since I have aot of boxes and cedar sheets in there I know humidity may not be a concern long term as it's been relatively stable sicne setting it up. I also assume when adding new cigars and box trays dips in RH is normal as they climatize.  

How do you keep yours at 57? Does it sit a little lower than your boveda or humidifier but is still stable?

Also, do you have open boxes or trays stacked in yours with no issues?

I was thinking about finding a way to seal the 320g boveda to the top lid instead of on the bottom but since mine was square sections, it might be a little challenging. Next time i open it up I'll re-assess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

Thanks @M777. That's my assumption as well. Since I have aot of boxes and cedar sheets in there I know humidity may not be a concern long term as it's been relatively stable sicne setting it up. I also assume when adding new cigars and box trays dips in RH is normal as they climatize.  

How do you keep yours at 57? Does it sit a little lower than your boveda or humidifier but is still stable?

I was thinking about finding a way to seal the 320g boveda to the top lid instead of on the bottom but since mine was square sections, it might be a little challenging. Next time i open it up I'll re-assess.

He probably uses 58% Boveda packs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

58% boveda packs. It was around 61% for a while, then stabilized at 57%, I have nothing but Habano boxes in that one. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hedgeybaby said:

I am in no way an expert in anything , but I am very much of the opinion that we all overthink this hobby way too much.

Boveda packs just work and if you have plenty in your box they will last a long time and keep your sticks where they should be.

Also, I really think cigars are slightly more robust than we give them credit for. 

Anyway,  that's my two penny's worth.

Btw your collection looks awesome. 

Thanks for your input @hedgeybaby.  I agree, Boveda packs will work for as long as they work thought like you, I am no expert hence why I wanted to ask before my collect grew! Also, thanks for the compliment ?!

My original concern was stacking box trays on top on box trays as I continue to grow my selection and have to utilize more vertical space. I wasn't sure if the humidity would still be able to access the cigars that had trays on top. I don't want to ruin a supply of cigars thinking they were fine before the boxes RH read normal but some cigars we're drying out. However, it seems like the humidity will manage to find it's way to everything in the box provided it's air tight. At least, that's what my assumption is based on the above.

2 minutes ago, M777 said:

58% boveda packs. It was around 61% for a while, then stabilized at 57%, I have nothing but Habano boxes in that one. 

Good to know! Otherwise, I would have probably drilled small holes in the tray to promote more circulation to lower levels. ?

• Like 1

Good to know! Otherwise, I would have probably drilled small holes in the tray to promote more circulation to lower levels.

Some say that less circulation is better for aging, some guys go as far as vacuum sealing boxes and then storing them in tupperdors. I have some 2011-12 sticks that came out of box splits and were stored in ziplock bags (basically zero circulation).

Smoked a JL #1 this past summer that was just awesome out of one of zip locked bag. I’m thinking of stating to ziplock new boxes from now on and storing them in the coolidors/tupperdors at anywhere from 60-66 rh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@M777 that's interesting! I've seen a few pics of people putting single sticks into an open ziplock bag and storing it in their humidified coolidors/tuppedors rather than using a box or tray but I've never heard of anyone sealing them in the zip lock bags without any humidification.

So, the cigars you stored in the ziplock were individual or in boxes? If single, none picked up any plastic smells or flavours?

Since I'm using lots of cedar sheets, maybe I could consider using various ziplock bags rather than box trays ?? Hmm.. it would give me lots more space to play with lol. Never considered that.

[mention=16719]M777[/mention] that's interesting! I've seen a few pics of people putting single sticks into an open ziplock bag and storing it in their humidified coolidors/tuppedors rather than using a box or tray but I've never heard of anyone sealing them in the zip lock bags without any humidification.

So, the cigars you stored in the ziplock were individual or in boxes? If single, none picked up any plastic smells or flavours?

Since I'm using lots of cedar sheets, maybe I could consider using various ziplock bags rather than box trays ? Hmm.. it would give me lots more space to play with lol. Never considered that.

Loose sticks in ziplock bags that came out of box splits. No plastic taste that I could detect. If you do a search on here or elsewhere using key words vacuum sealing or ziplock you should be able to find more info, that’s how I found out about it years ago. I would do a test first before using this method on your whole collection.

Edit:

The bags are placed in a tupperdor/coolidor that’s already holding steady humidity.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, M777 said:

Loose sticks in ziplock bags that came out of box splits. No plastic taste that I could detect. If you do a search on here or elsewhere using key words vacuum sealing or ziplock you should be able to find more info, that’s how I found out about it years ago. I would do a test first before using this method on your whole collection.

Yeah for sure!! I would definitely experiement first. I wouldn't vacuum seal but would keep them open. 

I'll have a browse! Thanks

• Like 1

I am in no way an expert in anything , but I am very much of the opinion that we all overthink this hobby way too much.
Boveda packs just work and if you have plenty in your box they will last a long time and keep your sticks where they should be.
Also, I really think cigars are slightly more robust than we give them credit for. 
Anyway,  that's my two penny's worth.
Btw your collection looks awesome. 
This. Just chill out.
  • Haha 1

Agree with most everything said. I will give my setup though. Originally, this was just for overflow from the 24 purchases that no longer fit in my humidor. 

I use the Sistema containers. Seal beautifully. Has four snaps and a gasket to ensure a seal. hold two boxes. Include a Boveda pack and some cedar if desired. A year in and still no need to charge the Boveda.

For singles, i use the cedar trays from Amazon. Two fits nicely in there.

This setup makes it easier for me to review my boxes. Get a cigar and overall not have to worry about the RH. Makes for a boring game of tetris though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mrmessy said:

Agree with most everything said. I will give my setup though. Originally, this was just for overflow from the 24 purchases that no longer fit in my humidor. 

I use the Sistema containers. Seal beautifully. Has four snaps and a gasket to ensure a seal. hold two boxes. Include a Boveda pack and some cedar if desired. A year in and still no need to charge the Boveda.

For singles, i use the cedar trays from Amazon. Two fits nicely in there.

This setup makes it easier for me to review my boxes. Get a cigar and overall not have to worry about the RH. Makes for a boring game of tetris though.

I was looking into those containers @mrmessy. I ended up trying this one that was on sale to see how it holds up and it's been okay so far. Relatively stable RH wise. 

I was thinking about buying trays but ended up using old cigar boxes instead as it was cheaper. However, my Tetris sessions will be starting soon as I add even more. I don't have anything but singles and quarter boxes as I have yet to find what I really want a box for but that will come soon ?!

• Like 1