Your favorite local soda?

Here in Alabama, the two most popular are probably Grapico and Buffalo Rock ginger ale.  The former is too sweet for my tastes now but was a favorite when I was a kid.  If you like ginger ale, don't pass up the opportunity to try Buffalo Rock ginger ale.  It's plenty spicy but not so much to put you off and in my opinion is far better than the big name brand ginger ales that come to most people's minds.  

So, what interesting or tasty soft drinks are made in your state/country/county/province/locale?

• Like 2

Due to World War II, Sydney had an influx of migrants from Italy and Greece to help with our under-population and labour shortage. This brought a significant change to the culture of our city. One of these changes was the development of our coffee etiquette. Over time, instant was out and now everywhere you go in Sydney a reputable cafe must have at least a $AU10000 steam-pressured espresso coffee machine to compete. Amongst other things, Italian people bought Chinotto soda, which is like Coca-Cola with a bitter orange citrus tang. Personally, I absolutely love the stuff. Chinotto sells well in Sydney, it's one of the few markets in the world outside of Italy where it does so. Sanpellegrino and Bisleri are the market leaders, and put it this way, Coca-Cola Australia produce Bisleri.

lg_826.thumb.jpg.e08ca118307c038dc0c6e7a27ced6bbe.jpgBisleri-650x650.jpg.e1553d483d0aaa44f06092c2e60f654b.jpg

The other soda I love, although it's popular with UK ex-pats in Sydney, is the Scottish Irn Bru. This sells in our local markets. I believe that Irn Bru is so popular in Scotland that it's one of the very few markets in the world where Coca-Cola has not asserted its dominance.

308663186_IrnBru.thumb.jpg.caef22f806605ad4694285bbc44de4d7.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Due to World War II, Sydney had an influx of migrants from Italy and Greece to help with our under-population and labour shortage. This brought a significant change to the culture of our city. One of these changes was the development of our coffee etiquette. Over time, instant was out and now everywhere you go in Sydney a reputable cafe must have at least a $AU10000 steam-pressured espresso coffee machine to compete. Amongst other things, Italian people bought Chinotto soda, which is like Coca-Cola with a bitter orange citrus tang. Personally, I absolutely love the stuff. Chinotto sells well in Sydney, it's one of the few markets in the world outside of Italy where it does so. Sanpellegrino and Bisleri are the market leaders, and put it this way, Coca-Cola Australia produce Bisleri.

lg_826.thumb.jpg.e08ca118307c038dc0c6e7a27ced6bbe.jpgBisleri-650x650.jpg.e1553d483d0aaa44f06092c2e60f654b.jpg

The other soda I love, although it's popular with UK ex-pats in Sydney, is the Scottish Irn Bru. This sells in our local markets. I believe that Irn Bru is so popular in Scotland that it's one of the very few markets in the world where Coca-Cola has not asserted its dominance.

308663186_IrnBru.thumb.jpg.caef22f806605ad4694285bbc44de4d7.jpg

Haven’t seen chinotto in a while, im American, but my moms side is from Italy, she used to give me this for an upset stomach, or sometimes as an after meal drink to digest, I actually liked it! Probably why I like bitter ipa beer?

• Like 1

In Quebec, there is a wonderful, sharp, crisp, aromatic, refreshing, spruce beer: Bière d'épinette Marco. 

641c4153f03734423998193a69393ae2.jpg.77a36d51aefe860f798906029b67b3fe.jpg

That nectar of the gods has been on the shelves since the 50s and it's wonderful.

It's not for the faint of heart. And I'm not sure it pairs with any cigar. But by God, on a summer afternoon  in 40C heat with shirt wetting humidity, this is heaven.

They did change their packaging recently. Now it's in a regular longneck beer style bottle. 

But it's still jaw clenchingly acidic, bitter sweet and spruce needle laden.

If you're ever in my corner of Canada at some point and you got that monstrous thirst going on, you owe yourself a bottle.

• Like 1

Can’t think of anything typically Californian right now, and I no longer really drink soda but back in Germany this is extremely popular. Basically half Coca Cola and half orange Fanta, pre-mixed. Pepsi has their own version there as well (called Schwipp-schwapp)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo_Mix

French People tend to find it disgusting for some reason. My Taiwanese wife took to it like a fish to water.

Honorable mention to Karamalz (a real “kids beer”).

• Like 1

Those of us growing up in the Motor City had two pops we loved.

Vernors ginger ale has been around for over 150 yrs.  A sharp ginger ale with more carbonation than any other pop (soda to those outside the midwest USA).  Do not inhale as you are taking a drink ?

The other is Faygo redpop.   They have many flavors, but redpop being my fav.  And Faygo had the best theme song.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=faygo+pop+theme+song&view=detail&mid=6658DCB4ABEFFE835F0F6658DCB4ABEFFE835F0F&FORM=VIRE&PC=U316

Still drink both of these local favs.

th.jpeg

523294510_01e724dad4.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Can’t think of anything typically Californian right now, and I no longer really drink soda but back in Germany this is extremely popular. Basically half Coca Cola and half orange Fanta, pre-mixed. Pepsi has their own version there as well (called Schwipp-schwapp)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo_Mix

French People tend to find it disgusting for some reason. My Taiwanese wife took to it like a fish to water.

Honorable mention to Karamalz (a real “kids beer”).

I remember Mezzo Mix as a kid (army brat- spent 9 yrs in Germany). I never took to Mezzo Mix (or shelf stable milk) but don’t think there was any German food I ever had that I didn’t love. 

Barq's root beer originated here (Biloxi, MS USA) and was a marvelous tasting product. It was sold in bottles only. They also brewed a creme soda that was stellar. Grew up enjoying both.

Coca-Cola bought them (in the 80s I think) and ruined it.

Irn Bru - I tell my Scottish friends that it tastes like rancid Dr. Pepper ☺️

Big Al 

6 hours ago, 40 Palms said:

Those of us growing up in the Motor City had two pops we loved.

Vernors ginger ale has been around for over 150 yrs.  A sharp ginger ale with more carbonation than any other pop (soda to those outside the midwest USA).  Do not inhale as you are taking a drink ?

The other is Faygo redpop.   They have many flavors, but redpop being my fav.  And Faygo had the best theme song.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=faygo+pop+theme+song&view=detail&mid=6658DCB4ABEFFE835F0F6658DCB4ABEFFE835F0F&FORM=VIRE&PC=U316

Still drink both of these local favs.

th.jpeg

523294510_01e724dad4.jpg

When I visit relatives in Michigan I always pick up some Rock & Rye.

Royal Crown, I havent seen this in years.  Pic on the right was how I remember it.  Left one is current production.
41SH8i1ZunL.jpg.d2a67068b6cdc638408baf1c9e8509b7.jpg1_43baa7eb3ae3692f0abec42116516d37.thumb.jpg.3a6e406d346646dd9f8ac48545e5659a.jpg
I remember RC cola from when I worked in upstate NY 30 odd years ago. What a flashback!

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie