Favorite movie featuring the military?

BTWheezy

I have to travel a fair amount for work, and find myself watching a ton of movies on planes. On a recent trip, I was watching this movie for perhaps the 20th time.  Can anyone name it from this scene?  And notice anything of interest here?

What’s your favorite movie featuring the military?  And however you interpret that definition is fine by me!  Ben Hur? Stripes? Fury? All are valid choices.

F198F49F-1D5B-40B5-BB80-900C6F8378E5.jpeg

That’s a great one, but my favorites would have to be “Twelve O’Clock High” and “The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp”. I’m not necessarily a fan of stuffy old movies, but those two have stayed with me for years after I saw them.

My favourite military films, in no particular order, include Apocalypse Now, Paths of Glory, Bridge over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Full Metal Jacket, Dunkirk, Spartacus, The Great Escape, Patton, The Big Red One and Hacksaw Ridge.

There are cigar boxes in that image in the cabinet. I can see a Montecristo box, possibly two, and I would guess the other two are Partagas Serie D No.4 boxes or something similar.

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for a submarine movie as well. But, my favorite war movie is Laurence of Arabia. Just for the photography. After that Full Metal Jacket, The Bridge on The River Kwai, Apocalypse Now, and just because I saw it as a kid and it stuck in my brain, Where Eagles Dare. Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood? STFU.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnS said:

My favourite military films, in no particular order, include Apocalypse Now, Paths of Glory, Bridge over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Full Metal Jacket, Dunkirk, Spartacus, The Great Escape, Patton, The Big Red One and Hacksaw Ridge.

There are cigar boxes in that image in the cabinet. I can see a Montecristo box, possibly two, and I would guess the other two are Partagas Serie D No.4 boxes or something similar.

Fantastic lineup John...especially Patton, another one I’ve seen many times.  Great for long haul flights!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I love the old school submarine movies, such a unique perspective on the terrors of war. Run Silent, Run Deep is a favorite.

Hunt for Red October? 

• Like 1

The Great Escape is a classic. Enemy at the Gates is a great sniper movie, but American Sniper is a modern classic. 

I'm not a huge fan of war movies or military movie. Not a lot of military tradition in my family either,  so no tradition of war stories, so it`s not in my genes.

However, I have a huuuuge soft spot for The Dirty Dozen. My father loved that movie and invited me to watch it with him when it was playing on some premium cable channel that was unscrambled for a few days. I was ten. 

Love those psychopaths, murderers and (implied) sex offenders showing up the elite troops! Love that movie!

• 3 weeks later...

Tropic Thunder- :)

In all seirousness my favorite movies from when I was a teen and in the Army were:

1. Full Metal Jacket,
  2. To Hell and Back (Real life Medal of honor Audi Murphy was in it, how can it not be up there),
  3. A Bridge Too Far (I participated in the Nijmegen March in 94)
  4. Hamburger Hill
  5. Das Boot

My Added a few since

1. Lone Survivor
  2. Fury
  3. Black Hawk Down
  4. 13 hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
  5. Act of Valor: Just the simple fact they used active duty Seals and live ammo:

14 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Lol... The first part is the most adequate movie, but it is not about the war. All the other are likely to the genre of fiction or propaganda

It is about the effects of war. It is very deep, especially the novels. 1, 2 and 4 are excellent imo. 3 in Afghanistan was awful.

14 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Lol... The first part is the most adequate movie, but it is not about the war. All the other are likely to the genre of fiction or propaganda

i remember the rambo films back in the day. they were great fun for a bloke about 20, at uni, with his mates.

but for me, like them or not, they are a legit choice. look through the films put up and there is a fair whack of fiction and propaganda amongst them. don't think you can rule them out because they went a bit extreme. but i think you could argue that the most tenuous link to war is the first one. just depends on how much you want to link the film to actual war or is a link to the military enough? red october, for example. good flick and i think can fit here but not actually a war movie. cold war, perhaps, but not quite the same thing. 

35 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

For me, an honest war film is when you look and feel goosebumps on your back. About everything else there is a silly joke: "do you Want a joke about the war? There is a hedgehog with a gun... Not funny? But it's about the war"

which is all fair enough but in fairness to a number of the posts here, they are responding to the title which is not 'war films' but films "featuring the military". by that criteria, rambo is fine. as are many others. but i understand your differentiation. 

Just now, ayepatz said:

“Broadsword calling Danny Boy...” will always be my favourite. Closely followed by The Guns of Navarone.

brilliant stuff. there was a doctor who episode with david tennant from memory where he is calling someone and he just slips in, 'broadsword calling danny boy'. always wondered if it was a lovely ad lib. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

brilliant stuff. there was a doctor who episode with david tennant from memory where he is calling someone and he just slips in, 'broadsword calling danny boy'. always wondered if it was a lovely ad lib. 

My other favourite quotes are:-

“I see you’ve come fully prepared.”

and:-

“...and..er...what a disguise!”

For me, they would not have been as funny without Burton’s mellifluous voice.

1 minute ago, ayepatz said:

My other favourite quotes are:-

“I see you’ve come fully prepared.”

and:-

“...and..er...what a disguise!”

For me, they would not have been as funny without Burton’s mellifluous voice.

absolutely. burton was magnificent. 

Mary - I nearly froze to death in that damn plane. Why couldn't you have supplied some hot water bottles or an electrically heated suit? I thought you loved me.
Burton: Can't help what you think.

• Haha 1