Favorite movie featuring the military?

BTWheezy

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

And also “A hole...is a hole...is a hole, as they say.” I have no idea how he kept a straight face on that one, given his reputation! 

• 2 months later...

I always liked Full Metal Jacket. To me, it was two movies in one.  I loved how it followed a group of guys in basic training and then drops them into "Nam".  Nothing grandiose about war and certainly not as ambitious as some classics.  Like A Bridge Too Far. Patton, etc. If anything it showed how the monotony of war could turn 180 into horror, real quick.  Das Boot was excellent as well.  Lots of tension and a change of pace from typical Nazi Germany type depictions.  The sailors on that sub could have been from any other country.  

On 2/19/2019 at 9:05 AM, bundwallah said:

I always liked Full Metal Jacket. To me, it was two movies in one.  I loved how it followed a group of guys in basic training and then drops them into "Nam".  Nothing grandiose about war and certainly not as ambitious as some classics.  Like A Bridge Too Far. Patton, etc. If anything it showed how the monotony of war could turn 180 into horror, real quick.  Das Boot was excellent as well.  Lots of tension and a change of pace from typical Nazi Germany type depictions.  The sailors on that sub could have been from any other country.  

Have you had a look at the new series of Das Boot? It's on my watchlist. I've been told it is excellent. 

• Like 1

BATAAN - Staring Robert Taylor

SEVEN SAMURAI - Staring Toshire Mifune Directed by Akira Kurosawa

FULL METAl JACKET - Staring Matt Modeen

CHRGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGARDE - Staring - Errol Flynn

THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON - Errol Flynn

THE SAND PEBBLES - Steve McQueen

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - Peter O'Toole

STALINGRAD - Pyotr Fyodorov

ENEMY AT THE GATES - Ed Harris

THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS - Peter O'Toole

TOP GUN