Por Larranaga Petit Coronas

I have been happily smoking away through a 2017 cab of PLPC for the past month. Normally one or two per day. They have been delightful. Caramel and brown sugar and all things nice.

However I had one Saturday and the flavour was gone. No worries thought I. Bad cigar. It happens. Had another yesterday and same. Just lacking in flavour and perhaps a little harsh.

What's happened? Same box... just the goodness has gone! Have I smoked too many? Have they changed?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rguinn said:

Perhaps your palette is getting used to them? 1-2 a day for multiple days may mute the flavors. Swap things up and come back to them in a few weeks to see if that helps. 

That was my thoughts so I had a Juan Lopez 2. I had just finished off a fantastic box of dark wrapper PSP ones and moved on to some claro clearance ones. By God there is a difference. More peppery and not as sweet. And the RASS I smoked the weekend was under filled and spongey. Not having much luck! I did however have a beautiful partagas no. 2 on Sunday with such a silky smooth dark wrapper that burnt great and tasted nice. Time to mix things up a bit I guess!

@Ritch Same box can mean nothing sometimes. (Sorry it’s true) check out the cigar sorting video in the link in my signature.. it’ll all make sense. A few duds out of a box isn’t too bad. Cheers mate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that your PLPC's are going into a funk (the so-called sick period). I wouldn't try another for at least a few months. Don't forget, these cigars are blended to age; after a few years they will blossom into caramel bombs! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Not to thread bump tooo bad, but I thought I was reading that some varieties of PL's were short or mixed filler, not long. Have I fallen for the Internet and her dubious traps, or is this true? I suppose I don't much care either way as long as they are well made and taste great, but I'm still trying to get a lay of the land with respect to Habanos. I believe Quinteros and Piedras are confirmed short, but again, mixed messages on the PL lineup. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

8 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Not to thread bump tooo bad, but I thought I was reading that some varieties of PL's were short or mixed filler, not long. Have I fallen for the Internet and her dubious traps, or is this true? I suppose I don't much care either way as long as they are well made and taste great, but I'm still trying to get a lay of the land with respect to Habanos. I believe Quinteros and Piedras are confirmed short, but again, mixed messages on the PL lineup. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

the Panatelas are short filler.  All the rest are long filler 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crking3 said:

May I suggest to the OP: stop smoking them and let them age....you will be HIGHLY rewarded ! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 6 2017 boxes pushed to one side ?

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 3:38 PM, Ritch said:

I have been happily smoking away through a 2017 cab of PLPC for the past month. Normally one or two per day. They have been delightful. Caramel and brown sugar and all things nice.

However I had one Saturday and the flavour was gone. No worries thought I. Bad cigar. It happens. Had another yesterday and same. Just lacking in flavour and perhaps a little harsh.

What's happened? Same box... just the goodness has gone! Have I smoked too many? Have they changed?

Have to agree with @rguinn, I won’t smoke the same cigar more than 2 days in a row. To me, flavor gets muted.

16 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Indeed. Best $2.50 cigar on Earth. 

So - is there the same wrapper variation with the Panatelas that there is with the MCs?  i.e., you might get one of those mottled, dark wrapped ones that need some years for the sweetness to come out?

9 hours ago, Deeg said:

So - is there the same wrapper variation with the Panatelas that there is with the MCs?  i.e., you might get one of those mottled, dark wrapped ones that need some years for the sweetness to come out?

Yes. You can expect the same variability in in wrapper color and quality as every other Cuban cigar. 

• Like 1