FOHrensics Video Experiment: Dunking A Cigar In Water

MoeFOH

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rob, Smithy, and I were so stunned by the results of this that we've vowed to put the experiment through its paces a few more times, just to be sure... Tough job, but someone has to do it.   All

After closely watching the video, I decided to pick up a new desktop humidor BTW, Great video fellas!!

The most romantic legend we hear about is probably the one about the virgin thighs. In the past, the selection of wrapper leaves was not made in a standing position. The ladies working in the factory

Thanks for the video. I've tried this before, but not with 3 of the same sticks, may be time to try it at a herf. 

This is fascinating.  I have a few cigars that have been kept in perfect humidification and temperature (and several years of age) that have always had a rather 'dry' looking wrapper and have left my mouth feeling dry whenever I have smoked them.  I'm going to give this a try and see what happens.

Great work gents. This has been in the back of many minds. I know @Ginseng is already of a fan of wetting the wrapper.  Perhaps he is more wise than we all thought? :D

The conclusions were quite surprising to me.  I may have to give this a try.

Great stuff gents :clap:

A couple of thoughts...

First, to my recollection, most discussions regarding rinsing have been more about keeping wrappers from cracking in dry weather, so this flavor element is quite interesting - I will try this with an RA Estupendos (normally humidified) next time I ignite.

Secondly, to RA's end point, the whole time cigar three was being evaluated, all I could think was that this might show even more how much wrapper interplay means to overall flavor.

Onya Steve-O! ( you know why... :lol3: )

• Like 1

What a novel idea... doing a controlled experiment rather than drawing conclusions based on preconceived notions. Well done. I’ve done this in the past, but will have to experiment more in the future.

Wow, blown away by this. What a surprise result. I've seen a YouTube video reviewer do this with vintage cigars, but never really believed you could improve them in such a substantial way.

Good work gents! Gotta hand it to FOH, first you blow the cigar plume/bloom myth out of the water (well in my mind you have already anyway), and now I agree here with what El Pres says in the video, this really does settle the wrapper significance to flavour debate - although I feel you had already done that with the Siglo VI/Genios wrapper experiment. This second positive result concludes it IMHO. The wrapper does makes a significant difference. Well done. ?

• Like 1

I was shocked by the result also and how the cigar wrappper was able to absorb so much liquid.

One thought, how dried out and old a cigar can 'The Dunk' save?  

I've got a couple of vintage cohiba that look pretty crackly...I just can't seem to get myself to dunk my cigar! 

I'm definitely going to try it on a few cheaper sticks first to see if it makes a big difference.

39 minutes ago, MrGlass said:

I'm curious if you would have seen a similar change in cigar number 2 if you dunked it and then resumed smoking it.

Probably like sucking on a wet blanket (thanks @MoeFOH  for that one), seeing as the cigar is already cut !!?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

Probably like sucking on a wet blanket (thanks @MoeFOH  for that one), seeing as the cigar is already cut !!?

Well don't I feel like an idiot now for forgetting about the hole at the other end :teacher:.  Revised theory - gentle spritzing maybe?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrGlass said:

Well don't I feel like an idiot now for forgetting about the hole at the other end :teacher:.  Revised theory - gentle spritzing maybe?

That wasn't my intention. The intention behind your idea is sound after all ? Putting the problematic execution of said idea aside, it would indeed be interesting to know the results.